Replacing Front Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Replacing Front Brakes

Halloween Savings to die for!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 04-26-2004, 02:30 PM   #1
pharmgirl

Replacing Front Brakes

Hey Guys,

I am new here. I was wondering if anyone had a link to or could explain to me how to replace the front brake rotors and pads on a Jeep Liberty 2002. The dealer wants 500 to do it just to put the same rotors and brakes....the ones that warped at 24,000 miles!!! So I would like to replace them...any suggestions? I found powerslot rotors and hawk brake pads on tirerack.com. Has anyone had any experience with these or better ones? If so, did you get them from tirerack.com?

Thanks for your help.
Tara

pharmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
starscream
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmgirl
Hey Guys,

I am new here. I was wondering if anyone had a link to or could explain to me how to replace the front brake rotors and pads on a Jeep Liberty 2002. The dealer wants 500 to do it just to put the same rotors and brakes....the ones that warped at 24,000 miles!!! So I would like to replace them...any suggestions? I found powerslot rotors and hawk brake pads on tirerack.com. Has anyone had any experience with these or better ones? If so, did you get them from tirerack.com?

Thanks for your help.
Tara
I haven't replaced them on the Liberty but I've never found any difference in the process on any car I've worked on. As long as you have the right tools, if you've done it before on any other vehicle you can do it on this one. If you've never done it before, you just need to:

1. Jack up the Jeep
2. Remove wheel
3. Loosen the bolts that mount the caliper on the back (and I've seen all types on different vehicles, either hex, allen, or torx heads)
4. Once you've got a little play from the bolts being loose, stick a flat head screwdriver in the gap between the backside of the rotor and the inside pad (piston side) and push the screwdriver so the piston goes all the way back into the caliper. This will probably take a little might so dont use a small flimsy screwdriver - use something longer and beefy for leverage, or even a prybar. Normally you would have to be very careful not to damage the rotor, but since you're replacing yours anyway...
5. When that's done, fully remove the caliper
6. Pull the rotor off (might have to give it a whack with a hammer)
7. Put new rotor on
8. Remove old pads and put new pads on caliper (most likely just clip on)
9. Reinstall caliper
10. Reinstall wheel
11. Do other side.

Powerslot and Hawk is a great combo, but I've seen cheaper prices than Tirerack (at least for a Wrangler) via google search. You might want to check on that just to make sure you're getting a good deal.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
WhiteWater

Try this.

http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_brakes/..._13682,00.html

Also, you might try to argue with your dealer about warranty. Point out that jeeps as a whole have had probs with rotors warping and there have been recalls on both the Grand and the Cherokee for this problem. Rotors shouldn't warp with just 24,000 on them unless you've been towing and braking hard coming down hills.
WhiteWater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.