Replacing 2002 eigine with 2005, questions... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Replacing 2002 eigine with 2005, questions...

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #1
twh7458
2002 KJ Liberty 

Replacing 2002 eigine with 2005, questions...

Hello, I just recently purchased my first jeeps, all Liberties. 3 of them are 2002, 4th is 2004.

The best 2002 I have which is also the wife's has a rod knocking. Long story short I'm told that an engine from a 2004 - 2007 will fit but needs converted? I'm talking about the 3.7 engine. I'm told the difference is the cam sprocket and a plate on the Crank? So my question is this, if I purchase a 2005 Liberty with a good engine, can I use that engine in my 2002 if I also swap the ECM? What all does the ECM control, just the engine? Or should I plan on just converting the engine to work correctly in my 2002?

I appreciate everyone's recommendations!

twh7458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 05:33 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

You will have to change the cam/crank tone rings so the PCM reads them correctly.Not going to make the '05 PCM work in a '02.
Unread 07-04-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

You can put a 3.7 up to a 2011 in your '02 - HOWEVER, the only way to do it is just as tjkj2002 said. You have to swap the cam sprocket and the reluctor ring on the end of the crank. The EGR also needs to be blocked.

Here's an overview: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/eng...verview-53270/

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
You can put a 3.7 up to a 2011 in your '02 - HOWEVER, the only way to do it is just as tjkj2002 said. You have to swap the cam sprocket and the reluctor ring on the end of the crank. The EGR also needs to be blocked.

Here's an overview: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/eng...verview-53270/

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
I was waiting for Bob to send the link.
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
twh7458
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks for the great replies. Pretty much what I expected but wanted to double check just in case. Since my original post I've decided to repair the engine without removing it from the vehicle. This is my first Jeep so it goes slower as I study each move I make. Original problem is #2 dropped a valve seat which then broke the top of the piston exposing the rings. I don't have the proper facilities presently to attempt removing the engine, so I'll fix it in the vehicle. Hopefully tomorrow evening I'll have removed the sub frame exposing the oil pan to allow me to easily work on replacing the piston. I'm not planning to replace any of the bearings, just the #2 piston and rings with standard. I'll reassemble the lower part of the engine along with the rest of the sub frame and such, then reassemble the top end of the motor. I'll be replacing the head with a re-manufactured head. Working on this a few hours each evening, hoping to have the Jeep back together by next weekend.
twh7458 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2002 , ecm , engine , liberty , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.