Replacement engine for 2.8 CRD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Replacement engine for 2.8 CRD

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 06-04-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
runningonempty
2004 WJ 

Replacement engine for 2.8 CRD

My wife has a 2006 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8 CRD with about 75k on the odometer. How long can I expect this engine to last? If it doesn't last what can be used as a replacement, a 2.5 AMC? Or are these engines (2.8 CRD) rebuildable?

runningonempty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2014, 03:56 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningonempty View Post
My wife has a 2006 Jeep Liberty with a 2.8 CRD with about 75k on the odometer. How long can I expect this engine to last? If it doesn't last what can be used as a replacement, a 2.5 AMC? Or are these engines (2.8 CRD) rebuildable?
The engine is rebuildable...it uses loose wet sleeve cylinders so if a piston seizes then that piston and wet sleeve can be replaced.

The biggest concern is the rubber camshaft belt...this has to be replaced at 100,000 mile or major expense occurs!

You must use only a fully synthetic oil such as shell Helix 40W50 or lower if in a cold climate and the fuel filter needs to be changed on a regular basis.

The black CAC hoses going to and from the intercooler up front are known to split so the best replacements are Silicone hose from SAMCO.

There are lots of maintenance issues that need to be seen to to keep this engine going...fuel filter heads on USA models are bad and the EGR needs to be disabled.

Best thing to do is to go to the CRD Love the Torque section at: http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum
They have a lively CRD community there, read the SAMS Noob guide and ask all your questions there!
Unread 06-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #3
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningonempty View Post
As Billwill already stated, yes they can be rebuilt. The factory was saying that 0-40 euro spec was needed for oil, I have had no issues running 5-40 Mobil 1 TDT and a slightly larger M1 301 filter. It is a good idea to be running 8oz or so of synth 2 cycle oil (like Super Tech) with every tank of fuel. Fuel now days is drier and has less lubricity.

If you haven't already, it would also be worth looking into Green Diesel Engineering (GDE) for a tune on your 2.8. - it does wonders with these & for all intent eliminates future EGR issues.

Don't forget about the 100K maintenance that will be needed.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.