replace timing belt or the engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > replace timing belt or the engine

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #1
chrisusvi

replace timing belt or the engine

I have 2002 Jeep Liberty (50,000 miles) that needs a timing belt change. Ten months ago I had a valve cover replacement. I was quoted $1400 labor to replace timing chain. Labor only. I have to fetch the parts. Is this a good price range?
Second, does the oil in the engine need to be drained to replace the timing belt on an engine? They said I need to include oil for the engine too.
Third, should I just look for an engine from a wrecked Jeep Liberty and replace the engine all together?

chrisusvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Which engine do you have? You mention timing belt and timing chain. The 2.4L and the 3.7L use one or the other, not both, hence I'm asking. Timing chains normally do not go bad in 50,000 miles.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #3
chrisusvi

I have the 3.7L engine. 50,000 miles is too soon, but thinking leads me to that this Liberty was once owned my a car rental agency.
That is a fact, by the way...
Unread 09-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Shouldn't matter on who owned it before. What problems are you having to think you need timing chains? It is an expensive job, and one that is normally not needed unless there is an actual problem with them.
Unread 09-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
chrisusvi

The engine has a rattling sound. The sound of a chain going round and round fast. I brought it to 2 mechanics and they both determined that it was a the timing belt. What causes the timing belt to get to the point of replacing it?
Shouldn't it matter based on the proper maintenance of the engine. If the engine was poorly maintained then internal engine parts will be prone to future problems...
Unread 09-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Leeann_KJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Again, the 3.7L has a timing chain, not a timing belt.

Besides a rattling noise, what are your other symptoms, if any?
Leeann_KJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
chrisusvi

That's it. There is a problem with the timing chain and it needs to be changed according to the 2 mechanics that I brought it to.
Unread 09-19-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisusvi View Post
That's it. There is a problem with the timing chain and it needs to be changed according to the 2 mechanics that I brought it to.
If the chain failed you'd be buying a new engine.If the noise is indeed from the timing chain area it's most likely caused from a failed tensioner since the 3.7 uses 3 timing chains.
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Normally timing chains require no service. Timing belts require replacement due to wear and tear on the rubber belt. For the chains to be making noise, either it is a freak thing/defective part, or the engine suffered neglect and the tensioners sludged up, or the chain guides have accelerated wear.
Unread 09-21-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
chrisusvi

I discovered that before I got the vehicle that the engine had suffered a considerable amount of neglect (sludge). The oil pump was probably straining a lot.
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

At 50k, I would take a close look at the belt tensioner or the waterpump. Both could be possible suspects for a rattling noise on the front of the engine....
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisusvi View Post
I discovered that before I got the vehicle that the engine had suffered a considerable amount of neglect (sludge). The oil pump was probably straining a lot.
You are leaving more questions than answers. How is the oil pump "straining a lot"? What was the reason for taking it in to be looked at? What is the vehicle doing? Technically, the oil pump always strains a lot. Squishing fluid to 60psi is no easy task. A lot more info on EVERYTHING about what is going on would help a lot. Otherwise, we are merely guessing when giving you suggestions.
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
At 50k, I would take a close look at the belt tensioner or the waterpump. Both could be possible suspects for a rattling noise on the front of the engine....
CHAIN tensioner would be my guess.

A bit of a pain to get to but no special skills needed.

I have replaced mine and had to go back in for a different reason and then had to go back in again. I am getting pretty good at it.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #14
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
CHAIN tensioner would be my guess.

A bit of a pain to get to but no special skills needed.

I have replaced mine and had to go back in for a different reason and then had to go back in again. I am getting pretty good at it.
Only problem with that is, we don't know what exactly its doing. If its rattling on start up, I would tend to agree with you. Things like this, I want to wait till I hear the Paul Harvey on this.
Unread 09-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Okay. Spend 10 bucks on an engine stethescope. Listen to which side the noise is coming from. Pull the valve cover. Check the tension of the chain. It should be pretty darn tight. Use a breaker bar and rotate the engine using the crank/harmonic balance bolt a littel, check the tension again. It should still be pretty darn tight. Pretty darn tight is 'hard to move' but 'not impossible'. If you get some slack the chain is loose. If the chain is loose it is probably the tensioner. You will notice the looseness on the top of the chain (passenger side) not the bottom. I don't have experience with this problem on the driver side so I can't tell you what to check.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.