Removing door panel with door closed??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Removing door panel with door closed???

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Removing door panel with door closed???

Hey guys... A friend of mine has a KJ Liberty and she's been through three window regulator failures so far during her ownership. Well, this makes a fourth! This time, it's a little different. The window won't stay up, but now the door won't open. I've read another older thread that I replied to and haven't heard any answers, but someone said they were able to get the door panel off with the door closed. I bought interior trim removal tools and haven't had any success contorting my body in any way that would allow me to get that panel off without damaging it.

Replacing the regulator itself seems moderately straight forward, but if I can't get the door open or the door panel off, I don't know what to do. I've got her window taped up for the time being to keep water out, but I would love it if you could give me some suggestions.

'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
vanillathrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
4x4kingx889
2005 KJ Liberty 

Which door is it? The door panel's are only held in with clips besides 2 screws behind the handle and arm rest you would most likely end up breaking the clip's doing it with the door shut...
Silver 05 sport crd-Ehm,Orm,wix oversized oilfilter,shell rotell,2nd gen fuelhead,Fumoto oil drain valve,muffler delete,cat removed,V6 airbox swap,evic added,HVAC controls modded, Franken lifted II,hercules Terra Tracs 245/75/16,Full l.e.d. interior swap,hayden fan clutch and nylon fan
4x4kingx889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #3
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4kingx889 View Post
Which door is it? The door panel's are only held in with clips besides 2 screws behind the handle and arm rest you would most likely end up breaking the clip's doing it with the door shut...
It's the rear drivers side door.

I'm half tempted to start shopping around for used door panels or doors. The junkyard about an hour away (pick your own parts) had a Liberty identical to hers a few months ago and all the doors were there and in good shape, but I'm sure that's long gone by now. It probably would have been cheaper to get a whole door with the interior door panel at that time than it would to buy a window regulator or pay for someone else to deal with it.

I read in another thread that someone was able to get the panel off with the door closed, but he didn't elaborate on whether or not he broke it and how he did it.
'99 TJ Sport | Rampage Frameless | 33x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR/K's | Poweraid TBS | Flowmaster 40 series | Herculined | 15% tint | LED interior lighting | AtoZ front/rear bumper | AtoZ tube rocker guards | Kenwood Excelon KDC-X993BT | Kicker 6.5's in soundbar | Alpine Type-R 4x6's in dash.
Unread 04-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
oldfamilyguy

So neither the exterior or interior handles will open it? The rods and mechanism inside can get unattached, but in my experience its one or the other, never seen it both at the same time. Just saying generally as I don't know for sure how it is set up in the lib. But when neither will work its usually because the door remains locked. Not not be insulting but maybe its the power lock actuator got disconnected or not functioning. Did you try to unlock with the key?
oldfamilyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
vanillathrilla
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfamilyguy View Post
So neither the exterior or interior handles will open it? The rods and mechanism inside can get unattached, but in my experience its one or the other, never seen it both at the same time. Just saying generally as I don't know for sure how it is set up in the lib. But when neither will work its usually because the door remains locked. Not not be insulting but maybe its the power lock actuator got disconnected or not functioning. Did you try to unlock with the key?
Yep! Unfortunately neither the inside, or outside door handle will open it. I've tried using the power door locks, and the remote on the key just for the heck of it to make sure I've exhausted all the obvious possibilities. It pops just a hair, but from what I was reading there's two stages to the locking mechanism on a Liberty door and I can't seem to force it past that first stage. I don't want to be the one to break things. I know sometimes when people are helping me with my things they're careless and break things and don't seem to care, but I'm not that guy.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Her window is still taped up for the time being.
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
Littlehorn
2005 KJ Liberty 

I know this thread is old but it comes up in a Google search. So, I wanted to add my experience with this malfunction and round-out this discussion to help others hitting this deadend. This seems to be a real safety issue if the malfunction happens in an emergency.

My left rear passenger door window/mechanism began to make a bad noise, not function properly, and didn't fully raise the window to the closed position...all within 2 hours on a trip yesterday. Arriving home and trying to access my 1 year old in his baby car seat...I found that the door would not open even when strongly yanked. Realizing that the window mechanism was probably causing the problem, I tried to lower the window via the switch momentarily. The door was still stuck but did open when yanked. It made a scraping noise at the latch while opening. But it opened. I then could see the reason why the door was stuck. A screw-like end of part of the window mechanism had become wedged into the door latch area. Backing the window switch further down allowed even more of the screw end to back-out of the latch area. See the grease covered screw-end in the latch area centered in the attached picture.

Now, to replace the window mechanism. The design is dangerous. The window mechanisms all crap-out over time due to a wonderfully bad design and one crucial and awesomely weak plastic piece. I love how every design has one weak point and that one $.02 part requires replacing hundred$ worth of parts which are not broken.

Last week it was the Ignition Switch Actuator Pin...left me stranded without a way to retrieve my 11 year old from an after school function. At least I was at home and not out and then needing a costly tow. The key would rotate and could be removed but would not start the engine. Others experiencing this problem report that the dealership forced people to replace the entire steering column for about $1000 in parts and labor. Searching the internet..the broken part is $30-$40 on Amazon or local auto parts stores. It also takes 30 minutes to replace and is very easy. I wonder how many steering columns were sold but not replaced at stealerships for this simple repair...

They know how to get your money...we need to know how to keep our money while keeping our vehicles moving. I hate to think of where we would be without the internet and the helpful people passing info along to users in need.

Protect yourselves...
screwinlatch.jpg  
Littlehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

WOW! I have all new non-plastic parts. I have replaced one, I guess I should do the others sooner rather than later.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.