Remove the driveshaft in my 2005 Liberty 2wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Remove the driveshaft in my 2005 Liberty 2wd

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #1
gtcoatie

Remove the driveshaft in my 2005 Liberty 2wd

I want to tow my 2005 Liberty 2wd behind my motorhome, but I won't pull it often. I know there is a drive shaft decoupler I could install, but it is costly. Anyone have any ideas on towing it all 4 down? Anyone remove the driveshaft to be able to tow it? If so, how involved is it?

Thanks

gtcoatie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Get a yoke to fit in the transmission to keep the fluid from leaking out of it, to remove the driveshaft there are 4 15mm bolts tat hold it to the yoke on the rear axle, I must warn you DC has used as much thread locker on them so they will be a bear to remove the fist few times.
rob92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2006, 11:24 AM   #3
gtcoatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob92xj
Get a yoke to fit in the transmission to keep the fluid from leaking out of it, to remove the driveshaft there are 4 15mm bolts tat hold it to the yoke on the rear axle, I must warn you DC has used as much thread locker on them so they will be a bear to remove the fist few times.
Do they make a yoke, or can I just create one of some type to keep the fluid from leaking? Also, is there anything I will need to tape up when I remove the driveshaft to keep the u-joints or something from falling out? Is there anywhere I can get a pdf file showing the driveshaft, what each end looks like once I unbolt and remove it and just a general arrangement?
Unread 10-12-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
BVCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcoatie
Do they make a yoke, or can I just create one of some type to keep the fluid from leaking? Also, is there anything I will need to tape up when I remove the driveshaft to keep the u-joints or something from falling out? Is there anywhere I can get a pdf file showing the driveshaft, what each end looks like once I unbolt and remove it and just a general arrangement?

You'll want to keep the slip yoke clean. Maybe a plastic bag taped over it. Also, keep the caps on the actual u-joint itself so the needle bearing don't fall out. I used to have a plastic plug that would fit in the tranny of my 67 Mustang to stop fluid from leaking. Maybe you could get something like this. Just need the outside diameter of the slip yoke and number of splines.
Unread 10-12-2006, 12:21 PM   #5
gtcoatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
You'll want to keep the slip yoke clean. Maybe a plastic bag taped over it. Also, keep the caps on the actual u-joint itself so the needle bearing don't fall out. I used to have a plastic plug that would fit in the tranny of my 67 Mustang to stop fluid from leaking. Maybe you could get something like this. Just need the outside diameter of the slip yoke and number of splines.
Thanks...I have talked with someone that mentioned taping the u-joints when removing to make sure the needle bearings don't fall out. I will do that.... I would put plastic bags over each end, and I am sure I can create something to slide in to keep the fluid from leaking. I guess I just need to get under it and do it once and see what happens.....
Unread 10-12-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It has a companion flange so no need to worry about the u-joints, keep the slip yoke clean, most slip yokes from other Jeeps will fit so find one in a junk yard and bungee cord it in place so it will not fall out of the trans.
Unread 10-12-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
gtcoatie

Quote:
It has a companion flange so no need to worry about the u-joints, keep the slip yoke clean, most slip yokes from other Jeeps will fit so find one in a junk yard and bungee cord it in place so it will not fall out of the trans.
I am not real auto mechanically inclined, but I am able to build most anything. If you don't mind, I would like to clarify.... There is really nothing on the front or back that I need to worry about coming apart. I simply can unbolt, slide it out, protect the front and back parts from getting dirty or gritty and then plug the front yoke and I am good to go?

Thanks SO much........
Unread 10-12-2006, 12:38 PM   #8
BVCRD

Quote:
I am not real auto mechanically inclined, but I am able to build most anything. If you don't mind, I would like to clarify.... There is really nothing on the front or back that I need to worry about coming apart. I simply can unbolt, slide it out, protect the front and back parts from getting dirty or gritty and then plug the front yoke and I am good to go?

Thanks SO much........

You got it!
Unread 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
gtcoatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVCRD
You got it!
Now I simply need to find something to plug the yoke...I am sure I can get creative and find something.......
Unread 10-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
rob92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Find a rear drive shaft at a junk yard and remove the yoke from it to slide into your trans and your good to go, I would bungee cord it to the trans so it won't bounnce out.
Unread 10-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #11
gtcoatie

Quote:
Find a rear drive shaft at a junk yard and remove the yoke from it to slide into your trans and your good to go, I would bungee cord it to the trans so it won't bounnce out.
Thanks...now I just have to find time to go to a junk yard and get one......
Unread 10-12-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
BVCRD

Quote:
Thanks...now I just have to find time to go to a junk yard and get one......

Sorry, can't help you there.
Unread 10-13-2006, 10:24 PM   #13
lucas/liberty

make sure you remember to install it back on before you drive it...lol...

Wife=2002 jeep liberty sports traded it in for an RX330 lexus
===2007 nissan Xterra X
lucas/liberty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2006, 06:41 AM   #14
gtcoatie

Quote:
I have had someone tell me to simply unbolt at the rear and leave the driveshaft in place, but wire it up ( with some strong wire or coat hangers ) and go on down the road...... Your thoughts?
Unread 10-17-2006, 06:54 AM   #15
BVCRD

Quote:
I have had someone tell me to simply unbolt at the rear and leave the driveshaft in place, but wire it up ( with some strong wire or coat hangers ) and go on down the road...... Your thoughts?

That wouldn't be the way I would handle it. There are just some things you don't take short cuts on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.