Rear windshield wiper won't work cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rear windshield wiper won't work cold

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-18-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
teetah111
2002 KJ Liberty 

Rear windshield wiper won't work cold

Anyone else come across this and know how to fix it? Every year, once the weather gets cold, my rear wiper stops working. I can hear the solenoid click when I turn the switch, but nothing happens. Last year I had to wait for the weather to get back above 65 every day before it started working again. Very annoying on those trips where the back just gets covered in muck.

teetah111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
jp7794
2006 KJ Liberty 

I think at one time or anther someone tried to use the wiper when it was frozen and the motor isn't up to snuff. I would test the strength of the motor when it is cold. See how easy it is to stop the blade and see how much voltage the motor is getting. Do snow or ice affect it or is it just the cold weather?
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
teetah111
2002 KJ Liberty 

It won't actuate at all when it's cold, so I can't tell you if snow and ice matter. No wiper movement, just "click" and not moving. It seems to work fine in warmer weather, but how many times do you really need to run a wiper when the weather is warm? And it doesn't take extreme cold to knock it out, just anything below 50F.
teetah111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
merlinTec

Could also be the tail gate switch as it's stops the motor if it thinks the glass is open. Just ideas but like jp has said see if you have power.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.