Rear window will not close. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rear window will not close.

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 03-21-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Mikekob

Rear window will not close.

My girlfriend has an 05 Liberty limited and she has just recently started having this problem. When she opens the back door the glass opens up normally. When closing the door and attempting to close the glass portion the glass will not shut.

I took a look at it and noticed the black "U" shaped catch that keeps the glass in place does not move to the "open" position. It stays in the same position as if the glass was never opened.

My question is, is there something I can do to fix this without a replacement part?

Or if not it the part needing to be replaced the small solenoid that looks like it opens the window.

If anyone has a parts diagram that would be helpful too.

Thanks

Mike

Mikekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
valvestem

Have you tried to manually move the catch in the swing gate?
valvestem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 07:05 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

The Sticky above, Liberty Service Manual, has section 8, circuit diagrams (about 40 meg download). This is for the 2002 models but I dont think there will be much change as far as the rear window/latch is concerned. There is also a good description on the operation of the latch/rear wiper etc. which could help in faultfinding.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Mikekob

Excellent!! I have had to unlatch it manually and it seems as if that actuator is broken. I guess its off to the Jeep stealership
Mikekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
jess3292
2005 KJ Liberty 

Same Problem

I too have that problem on our 2005 Liberty. We open the rear window manually using the rear liftgate handle and then cannot close it since it will not engage the mechanism. The mechanism is acutally blocking it from closing properly. We hit the button on the remote a few times and then can close it. Any suggestions on what to adjust or replace to fix this.
jess3292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
phorty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess3292 View Post
I too have that problem on our 2005 Liberty. We open the rear window manually using the rear liftgate handle and then cannot close it since it will not engage the mechanism. The mechanism is acutally blocking it from closing properly. We hit the button on the remote a few times and then can close it. Any suggestions on what to adjust or replace to fix this.
Did you figure this out? I have the same problem....
'06 Mustang GT Windveil Blue- Borla Stingers, MGW Shifter, Intake/Tune, GT500 wheels/tires
'93 Mustang LX Notch- 144k, Saleen Speedline Wheels
phorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #7
ssracer
2006 KJ Liberty 

Just fixed this on my son's Liberty. The micro switch on the handle has corrosion. You cant just by the switch, you need to buy a new handle. The handle comes with a new switch. I found a brand new one on E-bay for $60. I think the dealership wanted close to $90.
ssracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.