Rear Wheel Vibration When Wheel Cranked . . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rear Wheel Vibration When Wheel Cranked . . .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-20-2005, 05:57 PM   #1
Cougar Guy

Rear Wheel Vibration When Wheel Cranked . . .

Hi everyone,

We just noticed a noise coming from our 2002 Liberty. When the steering wheel is cranked way to the left, we notice a noise and vibration coming from the rear end. It almost sounds as though somthing is grabbing and the letting go and/or binding. When you hear the "let go" noise, you can feel a small vibration if your arm or hand is rested against the window frame. I got out and took a look while my fiance operated the vehicle (at very low speed . . . barely a crawl) and I could audibly hear the noise and noticed that the wheel and tire actually jerked a bit when it "let go". It doesn't roll smoothly. I should also add that 4WD is not engaged when this is occuring . . . we have the part-time 4WD system.

Any idea what this could be? I only seem to notice it during low speed operation where the wheel can be cranked enough to make tight turns. It also seems to be much more noticeable in reverse.

Thanks in advance!

Cougar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
jeepom
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Guy
Hi everyone,

We just noticed a noise coming from our 2002 Liberty. When the steering wheel is cranked way to the left, we notice a noise and vibration coming from the rear end. It almost sounds as though somthing is grabbing and the letting go and/or binding. When you hear the "let go" noise, you can feel a small vibration if your arm or hand is rested against the window frame. I got out and took a look while my fiance operated the vehicle (at very low speed . . . barely a crawl) and I could audibly hear the noise and noticed that the wheel and tire actually jerked a bit when it "let go". It doesn't roll smoothly. I should also add that 4WD is not engaged when this is occuring . . . we have the part-time 4WD system.

Any idea what this could be? I only seem to notice it during low speed operation where the wheel can be cranked enough to make tight turns. It also seems to be much more noticeable in reverse.

Thanks in advance!
The first night I brought the Libert home and backed it into the driveway I noticed that - I asked around and was told it was the torque converter and quite normal... Have you owned the Jeep long?
Unread 02-20-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
ZR7 Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Guy
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance!
Sounds like a chattering trac-lok differential (if your KJ is so equipped).

Was the rear gear lube recently changed? If so, I'd suspect that the proper Trac-lok additive was not added.
ZR7 Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2005, 08:52 PM   #4
Cougar Guy

Thanks for the responses,

Yes jeepom we have owned the Jeep since new . . . I just never noticed the noise before.

ZR7 Ken, yes we did have the lube in the front and rear differentials changed recently. It was done at the dealer so one would assume it was done correctly . . . but then again, you know what they say about assuming things

Sounds like perhaps I should take it in and get them to have a look at it.
Unread 02-21-2005, 12:16 PM   #5
Cougar Guy

Well I took it to the dealer today and got the "road tested and couldn't repeat problem" line. I did bring in the bill from my earlier service (front and rear diff fluid changes) and it did not show any charge for the additive. The service guy said that it would normally show up on the bill so he was thinking it wasn't added.

They apparently put some of the additive in this morning and they said that it could take a while for it to work itself in. They also said that if the problem persisted after about 120 miles of driving, to bring it back in for further diagnosis.

The service guy also advised me that a small amount of binding is normal, especially during turns where the wheel is cranked all the way to one side. Does this sound right? I know my truck with a limited slip rear-end does not exhibit any binding at all on tight turns unless 4WD is engaged (and then it is in the front-end) and I didn't notice any such issue with the Liberty until recently.

I'm really hoping that nothing was damaged as a result of the additive not being put in . . . it was only driven about 700 miles in total since the service.
Unread 02-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
Detachable

Watch your diff. If you are pushing over 20,00 and have never had it serviced, its time especially if you have the locking diff. Once the fluid breaks down a bit the chattering will come from the diff locking up prematurley. I had this same problem for a while and had no clue (the manual says to service the diff every 30,000 I was at 25,000, dealer recomends every 15), then I took it in because it was getting bad, and sure enough changed the fluid and hasn't done it since. It will eat your tires up too. I only exp this at full lock, but later on it started chirping the tires on some corners.

good luck!
Detachable is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2005, 06:05 PM   #7
Cougar Guy

Thanks for the response Detachable. We actually did have the fluids changed in the front and rear differentials about a month ago so they should be fine. I'm thinking they just forgot to put the special additive in when they changed the fluids.

Like I said, they advised me that they put some additive in today so we'll see how the Jeep responds in the next few days or so. They said it could take a bit of time for the additive to work itself in. Hopefully that cures it.
Unread 02-21-2005, 07:29 PM   #8
EdgarNYU

DIFF FlUID CHANGE

If I may jump in, If I am in NYC/NJ with mostly local traffic and some stop and go traffic, should I do my diff if I reached 17Kalready in 10 months? My service guy said it doesn't really have to be done til 30K.

It's not HIS jeep though.

Edgar
EdgarNYU is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Cougar Guy

Hi EdgarNYU. We changed ours at 40,000 kilometers which works out to roughly 25,000 miles. This is based on the service schedule we are following in our owner's manual for "severe duty" or whatever they call it. Basically when there are lots of shorter trips, operating in colder temps, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.