rear upper control arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > rear upper control arm

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 09-16-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
USPLiberty

rear upper control arm

I've been hearing some clicking/clunking lately in the rear of my Liberty and noticed that the body mounts of the rear upper control arm are loose. I think the rubber bushings inside gave out. I can easily move them up and down with my hand. These shouldn't move loosely correct?

Has anyone replaced this yet? Easy/hard job?

Thanks

USPLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USPLiberty View Post
I've been hearing some clicking/clunking lately in the rear of my Liberty and noticed that the body mounts of the rear upper control arm are loose. I think the rubber bushings inside gave out. I can easily move them up and down with my hand. These shouldn't move loosely correct?

Has anyone replaced this yet? Easy/hard job?

Thanks
Yea, if you can move it like that most likely that's the source of the clunking. The ball joint that attaches to the top of the differential is probably shot too.

Pretty easy to replace - hardest part is usually getting the ball joint to separate from the diff. You can work to remove the joint from the clamp-like component attached to the diff or remove the clamp from the diff when you loosen the tri-link (upper arm) and remove it. Then separate the joint from the clamp when it's more accessible.

Purchase a Mopar tri-link. Yes, there is a big price difference between the factory and aftermarket pieces but this is a "get what you pay for" situation. The factory unit will last much longer than aftermarket so you don't have to do this replacement again for a long time.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.