Rear Upper Control Arm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rear Upper Control Arm

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Rear Upper Control Arm

HI, I need a little help...pleaseeeeeeeee

I just replaced the rear upper control arm on our 2002 Jeep Liberty...the other one snapped at the rubber joints..

I could not afford the dealer part so I bought a part from an online parts store, aftermarket, Movetec brand...

We picked up the car yesterday and we thought the noise we were hearing was from the stuff in the Jeep but this morning I cleaned and cleared the entire Jeep, washed it and went for a ride.

OMG...the noise is horrible, we can hear every movement of the axle/the rear upper control arm...

Its loud, if we stop, if we move, if we go over rough surfaces...

anyhow, what should I expect tomorrow at the mechanic, did he install incorrectly? or are aftermarket rear control arms that bad?

Any assistance you guys can provide is greatly appreciated...we thought we were doing the right thing by buying the aftermarket control arm.....I want to be sure that I understand the mechanic tomorrow and that he understands me...

d5332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

The upper control arm also known as the tri-link has replaceable ball joint & bushings.
Jeep Liberty KJ Steering Parts & Accessories 2002-2007 at Morris 4x4 Center
There really is no need to replace the whole arm with after market.
Most of the time it is the center ball joint only that needs replacement. The dealer should be able to provide the ball joint.
The rear lower control arms also have available bushings that can be pressed in.
Post a link to your product that you bought and maybe others know it.
You will need to take it back and try to figure out what is wrong.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d5332 View Post
HI, I need a little help...pleaseeeeeeeee

I just replaced the rear upper control arm on our 2002 Jeep Liberty...the other one snapped at the rubber joints..

I could not afford the dealer part so I bought a part from an online parts store, aftermarket, Movetec brand...

We picked up the car yesterday and we thought the noise we were hearing was from the stuff in the Jeep but this morning I cleaned and cleared the entire Jeep, washed it and went for a ride.

OMG...the noise is horrible, we can hear every movement of the axle/the rear upper control arm...

Its loud, if we stop, if we move, if we go over rough surfaces...

anyhow, what should I expect tomorrow at the mechanic, did he install incorrectly? or are aftermarket rear control arms that bad?

Any assistance you guys can provide is greatly appreciated...we thought we were doing the right thing by buying the aftermarket control arm.....I want to be sure that I understand the mechanic tomorrow and that he understands me...
It's the brand you bought,known to be not very good in the quality area.I would swallow the cost and get the OEM part,maybe on back order as it was the last time I tried to order one from Chrysler.I would be checking the rear LCA bushings also,they can cause some nasty noises if worn.

But it could be loose bolts but my guess is the Movetec part that is at fault.
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:27 AM   #4
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Well, I dont know what to think...

I am taking it back to the mechanic and telling him to check it over, bolts, bushings etc...maybe he missed something or the part was missing something at time of install.

Meanwhile I will start ordering the part. Wonder if I can avoid a trip and just order Mopar parts over the internet? Any suggestions for OEM Mopar sites online?
Unread 11-15-2010, 07:37 AM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d5332 View Post
Wonder if I can avoid a trip and just order Mopar parts over the internet?
Google says you can. Google is your friend. Example:

Moparpartsamerica.com

...and about a gazillion other online Mopar retailers.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
HialeahAngler

I'll give you my story. My front suspension felt like it was bottoming out. I thought it was the struts and had them replaced. It did nothing for my Jeep. Rode it like that for a while. Finally came around to fixing it recently. It was the upper control arms in the front. They were replaced with aftermarket and they look great. Took it out from the mechanic and though it improved 85%, there was still some noise. Took it back and they did a thorough inspection in front of me. It's the Lower Ball joints that are bad as well. They are not expensive, but the labor may be if you don't have a friendly mechanic. The ball joints are pressed, and they told me it is quite a biotch to replace. Good luck. I would think your ball joints are bad as well.
HialeahAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #7
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

If you can't do it have a mechanic check everything over real well making sure all of the bolts are tight etc
It should be on the ground before all bolts are torqued for sure to make sure no preload is being out on them although it would be hard, also check the lower control arms and shock, they may not of tightened them enough if they took them off
It maybe a bad tri link but I would not jump in that direction yet until everything else is checked out
tommudd is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Soooo, I asked for a RMA number to return the aftermarket rear upper control arm.

We dropped off the Jeep at the mechanic on Monday night, apologized for insisting on installing my aftermarket part and told him to just order it from the dealer and install it.

Its now 4pm Wed and we still do not have our Jeep and he is still fiddling with the aftermarket part. I see cars come in and out of his shop but I think installing this control arm is making him scratch his head.

I am pretty sure he installed it wrong and he probably knows that as well. Despite the part being aftermarket, if installed properly I dont see why the left and right sides of the control arm would crash with the chasis everytime the car moves.

I looked under neath the car and the bushings on both sides seem over stretched therefore the top of the metal control arm is basically touching metal so the car moves and the chasis and the top of the control arm crash making horrible noises. The original control arm was completely snapped off at the left drivers side bushing and still made absolutely no noise.

I dont know what to tell this mechanic...take my car back, give him another day...I guess things are not always as simple as they seem...3 points, a few bolts and you are done, guess not.
Unread 11-19-2010, 05:11 AM   #9
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ok, it looks like my mechanic figured it out, took 3 days but he figured it out.

The Jeep now has a new rear upper control arm and it does not make any grinding noises.
Unread 01-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #10
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Hi, reporting back on this thread, the aftermarket rear upper control arm is still holding BUT I am convinced that it makes a squeaking noise as I am driving...

So, it works but its not a part I would use again. Its really annoying to be able to hear the movements of the rear upper control arm. Its soft but annoying.
Unread 01-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Mine has lasted a while but installed a OEM one due to getting a great price on it, works better anyways
Unread 01-30-2012, 12:30 AM   #12
Kriszilla
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d5332
Hi, reporting back on this thread, the aftermarket rear upper control arm is still holding BUT I am convinced that it makes a squeaking noise as I am driving...

So, it works but its not a part I would use again. Its really annoying to be able to hear the movements of the rear upper control arm. Its soft but annoying.
Just out of curiosity, do the rear upper arms need to be pre-loaded before torquing the bolts like the fronts do? If so, I wonder if your mechanic followed that step. That could explain the noise.

Maybe also try hitting the bushings with some silicone lube...
Kriszilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

I would not know, I have sprayed aerosol silicone lube and nothing.

Last oil change all bushings were still good but I would not know how they are pressed/installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriszilla View Post
Just out of curiosity, do the rear upper arms need to be pre-loaded before torquing the bolts like the fronts do? If so, I wonder if your mechanic followed that step. That could explain the noise.

Maybe also try hitting the bushings with some silicone lube...
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Not preloaded like the fronts
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:23 PM   #15
rrose3000

Yes, they have to be preloaded. Heres the easiest way for you to do that without any special tools. Just throw down some cardboard so you'll be on a comfortable surface since you will need to be on your back.
-Don't jack up your vehicle that will defeat the purpose. Crawl under the back of the vehicle just in front of the rear tires. Loosen the rear upper control arm at the bushings. You can find them by looking at the upper control arm that attaches to the top of the rear differential (or pumpkin). Follow that A shaped arm out and at the end of it are your bushings.
-Just loosen the bushing bolt, but be careful, if you loosen it to far and it pops out of the threads it could be very hard to get realigned considering you have over a 2 tons of vehicle weight on them. So just back out the bolt a little bit till you can just feel or see that there loose and then tighten them.

This is the easiest and cheapest method, if you leave the twist in them then will not last long.....

Good Luck
rrose3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.