rear swing gate wont open - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > rear swing gate wont open

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 08-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
noasad
2002 KJ Liberty 

rear swing gate wont open

the glass pops open but i pull on the handle and nothing, and yes the door is unlocked

please help!!

noasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Randy Parn
2003 KJ Liberty 

rear swing gate wont open

"the glass pops open but i pull on the handle and nothing, and yes the door is unlocked"

I have the same problem. Need some advice.
Randy Parn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
JayVee
2003 KJ Liberty 

Does it unlock from the wireless key fob?
JayVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #4
JayVee
2003 KJ Liberty 

I just finished fixing the switch in the swing gate handle and now the lift glass popper is functional again. I also have the 'gate won't unlock problem' though. It seems from how it's acting and what I've read that the gate latch motor might be getting tired. Weird thing is that if I hold the gate handle open the motor tries harder to unlock the latch, almost like holding the handle open reduces the amount of work the latch motor needs to do. I can unlock the gate reliably with the lift glass popper button on the key fob which is also a little weird because the unlock button doesn't do the job. I'd say this qualifies as an 'electrical gremlin', and I'll probably just bring it to the dealer since I know the parts won't be cheap anyway and I bet used parts in working order are hard to come by.
Unread 05-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
callaway
2003 KJ Liberty 

I had this happen and the latch mechanism itself had died. Replaced the mechanism and all is well.
2003 KJ - Detours KJ Backbone - Mopar Light Bar - Mopar Engine/Transfer Case/Gas Skids - Modified Mopar Tranny Skid - Boulder Bars - 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs on Cragar Soft 8ís - Spidertrax 1.25" Spacers - Superwinch LP 8500 - Frankenlifted

1986 CJ7
L.O.S.T. KJ Midwest
callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
JayVee
2003 KJ Liberty 

On my Jeep I think the remaining problem is still the door handle switch because when I disconnect it the auto lock/unlock works fine. I'm thinking that the internal switch contacts are corroded so the 'on' resistance is too high. The switch pops the lift glass now that I resoldered it, but it's somehow interfering with the system's ability to run the latch motor. (Maybe the high 'on' resistance is being sensed by the microcontroller and confusing it?) I ordered a new door handle w/ switch as the next step.
Unread 05-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
JayVee
2003 KJ Liberty 

I ordered a replacement door handle switch from the dealer, installed it, and the swing gate locks/unlocks perfectly. Total cost: $3.75. Gotta love that! If you want to see if this is your problem then remove the plastic swing gate interior cover, pull the vinyl cover off of the metal frame near the handle area and disconnect the white nylon connector that connects the door handle switch to the electrical system. If the gate latch locks/unlocks no prob, then replace the switch and you're good to go. Otherwise maybe the latch motor is wearing out or the battery is dying. Good luck!
Unread 08-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
tobyjuan

Easy fix for my rear door. 2007 Liberty

I spent some time reading the posts on this topic in order to resolve my rear door problem. Glass would open and I could hear the motor noise and even a delayed motor noise but the gate would not open. Thought for sure it was a failing motor. I took the rear door panel off and finally figured out how to slide the latch mechanism down to manually release the door. Finally I looked through a small hole that was at the level of the latch mechanism in the gate. Two metal pieces are sandwiched together and there was a threaded hole in the rear-most piece. Of course, no bolt or screw. Felt around inside the door and did not find anything until I looked at the very bottom of the door and remove some tape covering a weep hole. Low and behold the allen head bolt was stuck to the back of the tape. Screwed it back in place and, volia!, back in working order. Five minutes and done...lucky me. I wonder how honest the dealer would have been about this.
tobyjuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
polivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVee View Post
I ordered a replacement door handle switch from the dealer, installed it, and the swing gate locks/unlocks perfectly. Total cost: $3.75. Gotta love that! If you want to see if this is your problem then remove the plastic swing gate interior cover, pull the vinyl cover off of the metal frame near the handle area and disconnect the white nylon connector that connects the door handle switch to the electrical system. If the gate latch locks/unlocks no prob, then replace the switch and you're good to go. Otherwise maybe the latch motor is wearing out or the battery is dying. Good luck!
******JAYVEE***** Please help. Im having the exact same problem you descibed. tug on latch, rear window pops up, but gate doesnt open. I pulled the vinyl cover as you suggested. I disconnected the white nylon connector that connects the door handle switch to the electrical system. NOW, the door handle realeses the swing gate no problems. However, when I call the dealer and ask for a "replacement door handle switch". They had no idea what I was talking about. he said I could buy the entire door handle for 95 dollars. Can you please get me part number or part name.. or somewhere I can order from??? Thanks please.
Or anyone else who knows what this part is, thanks in advance.
polivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
fxnib

Okay I'm kinda having the same issue, when I unlock my '06 Liberty I can't open the swing gate unless I open the glass with the remote, the glass won't open with a slight tug of the handle like its supposed to,

any1 have any clues on why this may be?????
fxnib is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
game211

has anyone solved this issue?
game211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #12
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Yes one of many electrical gremlins on the Liberty. Remove the gate's inside panel. When you action the door handle by hand, you'll see the door mechanism is touching the eletrical wire to the motor. You'll have to tape the wire so that it doesn't touch it, or replace the wire if it shows signs of damage...
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #13
wwv

How?

how do you get the plastic panel off the rear cargo door?

Thanks,
WWV
wwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

You need a door panel remover you can find at the part store.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
Oldlib
2003 KJ Liberty 

My glass would pop up, the latch clicked but the swing gate wouldn't unlock. I took the little square panel out of the interior paneland felt around inside until I was able to trip the latch open. After removing the interior panel from the door I took the latch mechanism out and discovered, just as Tobyjuan did, that the screw connecting the two sandwitched arms together was missing. I replaced the screw and all is well.
Oldlib is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.