Rear Gate will not open (2002 Jeep Liberty) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rear Gate will not open (2002 Jeep Liberty)

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 11-10-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
player1138

Rear Gate will not open (2002 Jeep Liberty)

I saw some other threads on this, but had a new question that I could not find the answer to.

Issue:
Rear gate will not open when I pull the handle. The window opens fine.

I removed the rear panel which is located on the inside part of the door.

After I get it off there is a white cloth material which flaps up to show a plastic covering. I was thinking this was like the door panel liner which comes off and can be put back on. However that does not appear to be the case.

How in the world do I get this off? I am assuming the rear gate mechanism is behind this.

I did not want to tear the plastic if there was another way to access the mechanism that I am not aware of. When I feel with my hand it feels like the black plastic covering goes on and on.

Thanks.

ps.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on fixing the rear gate that would be great, if not I can check other threads.

player1138 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
403Lumberg
2003 KJ Liberty 

This just happened to me a few days ago, but I was adjusting the latch before hand because it was loose. I adjusted it to make it a tighter to stop the rattling that had slowly developed over the past few months. After I closed it the gate would not open but the glass went up, I reached in and hooked my arm in the jeep to pull on the door, after a few strong tugs it opened. I readjusted the latch a few more time and it was golden. No sticking and no rattling. Hopefully for you that's all it is.
403Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
player1138

So you just yanked the door open?

When I pull the handle it makes no sound or no feel that it is about to open.

I think I need to do something with the mechanism.
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
403Lumberg
2003 KJ Liberty 

my situation may be a bit different then, when I tried to open my gate it made the sound it usually makes just stuck, but I yanked on the gate with my arm on the inside while standing outside...and pulling the handle all at the same time. Couple tries and it popped open.

Maybe you got a bad fuse?
403Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:18 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

There is a microswitch inside the gate handle which makes when you pull on the handle to unlatch the glass....so the glass pops up and out of the way so you can open the gate. There is a "glass ajar" switch inside the glass latch mechanism that lets the BCM know that the glass is open and clear of the gate so that the gate can now be opened...this "glass ajar" switch may not be working. If you drive the Jeep with the rear glass open you should get a "Glass" message on the odometer display...this will confirm that the BCM knows the glass ajar switch is working .

You should have the tailgate cylinder lock on your 2002 KJ....does operating this lock have any effect?
The plastic cover is there to keep dust out....you have to carefully pull it off to get to the mechanism.

If you disconnect/connect the battery you should hear the rear gate locking/unlocking.

Here is the 2002 circuit diagram for the tailgate section:
img.jpg

Unread 11-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
player1138

It seems that the locking mechanism does work.

When I lock all doors and pull the rear handle the glass does not open.

So maybe it is no recognizing that the glass is open?
Unread 11-12-2013, 01:36 AM   #7
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by player1138 View Post
It seems that the locking mechanism does work.

When I lock all doors and pull the rear handle the glass does not open.

So maybe it is no recognizing that the glass is open?
No, when you gently pull on the rear door latch you should hear a quiet "click".

This is a small micro-switch inside the door handle that is supposed to get the glass to pop up....this is the "flip up glass release switch" in the circuit diagram.

This micro-switch is know to fail a lot as moisture gets into it...this is the first thing I would measure with a meter or just put in a new one.

If the switch is working then maybe the glass release motor is failing...what happens if you try to just open the glass by itself using the key fob?
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
player1138

When I use the key fob the lift gate will open.

Here is a video of what is going on. I think you are right that it is the switch since each time I pull the handle it tries to open the window. I appreciate the chart you put up, but that honestly makes no sense to me. Any way to simplify what I need to do or replace so a car novice can understand?

This first one shows what happens when I try to open the door. The lift gate does detach...the lift arms are kinda bad so it does not pop up all the way without a hand. I pull the handle multiple times so you can hear it makes the lift gate release sound each time.

The second video is just a close up of the mechanism
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
When I use the key fob the lift gate will open.

Here is a video of what is going on. I think you are right that it is the switch since each time I pull the handle it tries to open the window. I appreciate the chart you put up, but that honestly makes no sense to me. Any way to simplify what I need to do or replace so a car novice can understand?

This first one shows what happens when I try to open the door. The lift gate does detach...the lift arms are kinda bad so it does not pop up all the way without a hand. I pull the handle multiple times so you can hear it makes the lift gate release sound each time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UL1ORJteOA

The second video is just a close up of the mechanism
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KMxiVLGz8

I cannot really see what is happening in the second video.

However the fact that the glass does lift up when you initially pull on the gate handle doe seem to indicate that the first micro-switch in the handle is working fine and pops up the glass...the spring inside the glass latch is supposed to push the glass quit far out and the gas struts should pull the glass all the way up...try spraying some silicon oil on the struts or else they need replacing.

So now the micro switch inside the glass latch should show that the "flip up switch" is ajar....you should get the "glass" indication on the odometer now when you drive with the "ping". If not, I would suspect the micro switch inside the glass latch mechanism. Placing a voltmeter over the tailgate motor pins 1 and 2 should show the voltage swing one way then the other as the tailgate motor tries to turn first one way or the other...if the voltage is doing this then I would suspect that the tailgate lock motor is jammed or burnt out. They show an inline re-settable trip switch on the motor...this heats up if there is a jam and cuts power to the motor and is supposed to cool down after a while to allow the motor to run...these can fail and are part of the motor.
Unread 11-12-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
player1138

Is there a way to manually open the door?

Where is the motor?

The second vid was just to show that mechanism...was not sure if would show anything.
Unread 11-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #11
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Is there a way to manually open the door?

Where is the motor?

The second vid was just to show that mechanism...was not sure if would show anything.

Best is to download the 2002 Jeep KJ Service Manual....explains how things work and how to test/remove the motor...also has circuit diagrams...about 64 MB in total.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ
Unread 06-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #12
Studly
2002 KJ Liberty 

Small micro-switch inside the door handle

Does anyone know if the small micro-switch inside the door handle of a 2002 Liberty uses the same micro-switch that Part# 68086311AA uses, It says it is for jeeps after 09/26/06. If it's the same switch and the wiring and or connector is different,

then I could cut the old wires and solder and heatshrink them to the old wires with the new micro-switch.

If not then it looks like part# 05143017AA comes with the handle and micro-switch. I don't need the handle, but if that's the only way to get the micro-switch, then that's what I have to do.

Thks for any help with this.
Jack
Studly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.