rear diff issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > rear diff issues

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
j888dth
2003 KJ Liberty 

rear diff issues

Hi just purchased 2003 kj (Liberty) 2.8 diesel (UK spec) and trying to find out about it . I think the rear Diff is what seems to known as standard (please see attached) but what is standard ? does it have limited slip? does? it have any form of lock. I have read somewhere on here all builds details can be obtained from Jeep web site but it does not seem to be available to us over here in The UK. So any one got any ideas how I can decide whats what. The problem I am looking at is I get what feels like wheel spin when setting of on right hand turns its ok on left hand or straight.

hpim0916.jpg  
j888dth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Well you have a Chrysler 8.25 rear diff.If the sticker on the axle tube is still there it will say open or traclok or you can jack up the rear end,both wheels off the ground, while the KJ is in "Park",try to spin one rear wheel,if it spins and the otherside spins the other direction your open,if you can not spin it you have the trashlok(OEM LSD).
Unread 09-22-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Well that picture looks exactly like my 4.10 Traclok on my 2002 2.5 Export CRD....minus the rust....we do not have ice and salt on the roads here in SA!
The label on mine is located at the end of the axle on the right side.

I recently replaced the oil in mine....first the LSD additive from Mopar then 75W90 oil.
Obviously before putting the oil in I had to use RTV sealant on the cover....I used Permatex Ultra Grey RTV sealant...no problems with leaking.

@the OP....that slipping problem does sound like it could be a Tracloc in need of some Mopar LSD fluid....if it is a Tracloc then you could try syringe some fluid out and replace with LSD additive but rather remove the cover and replace the oil and additive at the same time as you do not know if the lubricant has ever been replaced.
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
j888dth
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Guys
I have had both wheels up and with transmition in N all brakes removed i can turn the hubs but need crow bar across studs as i cannot get enough leverage without. As i have no idea if the diff has had lubricant changed I think it bust if I get some and some of this LSD additive which is one of the reason for trying to find out what diff i have as see little point adding LSD additive if my diff is not a LSD.
Unread 09-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #5
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Seeing as you have it on stands and the brakes off I would suggest you open up the diff....remove the cover and drain the oil out in the process.

Then have a good look inside and see if there is any wear or damage.

I will post up a picture of what the Tracloc looks like inside.....if that is what you do have then I will post some more advice on what to do.

Or you can download the service manual yourself on the following link....choose the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual......about 63 Mb ....it has everything you need to know about fixing your KJ plus has complete circuit diagrams.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ
Unread 09-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
j888dth
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
Seeing as you have it on stands and the brakes off I would suggest you open up the diff....remove the cover and drain the oil out in the process.

Then have a good look inside and see if there is any wear or damage.

I will post up a picture of what the Tracloc looks like inside.....if that is what you do have then I will post some more advice on what to do.

Or you can download the service manual yourself on the following link....choose the 2003 Jeep KJ Service Manual......about 63 Mb ....it has everything you need to know about fixing your KJ plus has complete circuit diagrams.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ
thanks if you could pop inside view that would be good. I have downloaded all manuals which cover just about every option apart from how to decide which oprtion one has.
Unread 09-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #7
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Sorry, I thought the Service Manual had a good picture of what the inside of a Traclok diff looks like but there is only a small diagram that shows the position of the clutches.

I would suggest you replace the oil in any case which means removing the diff cover. Then have a look for the clutches with reference to the diagrams in the Service Manual....this will tell you if this is a Trackloc or not.

Then use a good RTV Silicone to seal the cover, allow the bead of RTV to semi-harden while lightly tightening the bolts then tighten the bolts correctly according to the instructions on your particular brand of RTV.

Then if you have determined that you do have a Traclock, pour in one small container of Mopar Friction Modifier and then 2 litres of oil....I used Castrol 75W90 after doing a lot of reading up on the subject.

The Service manual then states...for a Trackloc....that you must get the Jeep to do 8 or ten slow figure 8 turns to get the oil spread properly in the clutches.
Unread 09-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
j888dth
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
The Service manual then states...for a Trackloc....that you must get the Jeep to do 8 or ten slow figure 8 turns to get the oil spread properly in the clutches.
Thanks Billwill
What I need is one large car park to do figure 8 turns (used to have scalextric with the figure 8 as a lad). wonder how dealers do it as cannot imagine many have an area large enough to do it! hope police don't see me cus they will think i'm mad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.