Rear Brake Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Rear Brake Noise

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-14-2002, 10:52 PM   #1
Cole Perry

Rear Brake Noise

My '02 Liberty has less than 1800 miles yet the rear brakes make a loud grinding noise when releasing after I shift from Park to Drive or from Drive to Park. The dealership service people say it normal and due to heavy duty brake pads. I've never heard brakes make kind of noise before and it doesn't seem normal to me. Anyone else have this problem?

Unread 03-15-2002, 03:59 AM   #2
JAM

Just curious: Did you take a Liberty for a test drive before purchasing yours? If so, did that one have the same rear brake grinding noises you described? If not, I hope you pointed it out to the dealership.

I know I did not notice any strange noises when I test drove a Liberty Limited (and I was paying close attention: I was trying to make my mind up between a Ranger Rover Freelander and the Jeep Liberty - decided I did not want just a car and ordered the Liberty...).
JAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2002, 06:01 AM   #3
Gecko

I have the same mileage on my Limited and have no noises of any kind from the rear brakes. So they don't "all do that" as you're being told. Ask to hear some other ones they have on the lot making the same noise, I bet they won't be able to come up with one (and will probably tell you that they don't do it until the shoes wear in a little).
Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2002, 11:51 AM   #4
Cole Perry

Thanks for the replies.

Upon closer inspection, it seems that perhaps the problem is not the brakes since they make no noise when coming to stop and remaining in gear (at a stop light). The grinding noise only appears after changing gears. There is also a slight lurching motion when the brakes are released.

I think the most honest statement from the dealership service people was that they are only newly acquainted with the Liberty and have little experience in fixing problems.

Anyone have an opinion as to the transmission being the cause?
Unread 03-16-2002, 10:14 AM   #5
Liberty-4-All

If they told you it was the rear brake "pads", you need another dealership. It would be rear brake "shoes" since it has drums in the rear. If you have Trac-Loc, it will sometimes makes noises ( clutches ), but that is usually while driving. If the tranny is lurching I would give the tranny time to "learn" your driving habits. I would also change the tranny fluid to Amsoil synthetic. It will help smooth out the shifting. When parking your KJ try these steps. When you have come to a stop (1)Keep your foot on the brake (2)Put the KJ in park with your foot still on the brake (3)Engage the parking brake with your foot still on the brake (4)Take your foot off the brake and turn off the KJ. This method tends to keep the tranny from "binding". It won't "roll" or "bind" when parking. When you start your KJ, you should (1)Put foot on brake (2)Start KJ with foot still on brake (3)Release the parking brake with foot still on brake (4) Shift into Drive or Reverse and then release foot brake. I know this seems stupid when reading but it is not that involved and seems to help. The Amsoil helps with the shifting...Good Luck.
ARMOR, ARMOR, ARMOR
LLL=15.75"
L.O.S.T.member #000001

Visit www.KJJeep.com

I got your Grocery Getter Hangin'
Liberty-4-All is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2002, 05:03 PM   #6
Cole Perry

Is there a fix for the rolling (binding) by the transmission? Evidentally, the dealership service people were perplexed by the problem.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.