read before you assume....tires/rim size help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > read before you assume....tires/rim size help

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #1
CMax26az
2007 KJ Liberty 

read before you assume....tires/rim size help

i have been searchng for a while through the forums and i cant find the answer to this question:

Generally speaking, what is a better rim size for offroading? 15" or 16" ?

can a 15" rim be mounted on a KJ?
will it clear the front calipers?
will there be other clearance issues for turning radious?
Is there an advantage for 15" vs 16"?

I'm asking this because i want to get a wheel/tire combo for offroading and there are alot more tire options in the 15" range. Right now i have no plans for a lift but i may in a year or so.

my stock tire is 235/70/16, this equals to the inches sytem as a 29x9.5/16. but i cant find anyting close to 29x9.5 in a 16" rim. they do however have them in 15" rim. even if i stay with the metric tire sizes, the closest i can find is 225/75R16 (a more narrow tread) or 245/75R16 (taller and wider, will i have a clearance issue?).

comments? suggestions? oppinions?

CMax26az is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
Parky

It varies on the rim. The minimum for a 15" would need less back spacing, but each rim is different. I think I saw (about a year ago) someone with Krager soft 8s in a 15" rim but they had 3.75 or 4" back spacing to get over the caliper issue. Remember, if you do go with less back spacing, the pivot point of the tire changes and you may get rubbing on the pinch weld or the front bumper.
Colorado Jeep Member #12

Happy Jeeper
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
phxtoad
2002 KJ Liberty 

Tires

Try this - this chart should answer some questions for ya...

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1130

It's really rare hearing anyone running 15's...

Pounding down the pinch welds is a great way to exercise!

Todd
phxtoad.com
phxtoad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #4
CMax26az
2007 KJ Liberty 

im going with either:

Firestone Destination M/T
225/75R16
245/75R16
or
Kumho Road Venture M/T
225/75QR16
245/75QR16

neither make a 70 series in 16"...

so the question remains, the 225's or the 245's ?
Unread 01-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
P NUT

You will have much more choices in 245's (IIRC). The problem is, will you experience any rubbing? That I don't know. If either size will work, I'd go with the 245's. But I'm guessing that the 245's will work without too much problems--maybe a slight rub at full lock and compression. And I've heard better reviews with Kumho's than Firestone's.

Also, do you need an M/T? I'd look into Michelin LTX A/T or Bridgestone REVO's, too. My friend with the LTX A/T has over 90k on them and still has some life left. Amazing wear on those tires. And he's gone to Moab several times, too on the same tires.
P NUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #6
CMax26az
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by P NUT
You will have much more choices in 245's (IIRC). The problem is, will you experience any rubbing? That I don't know. If either size will work, I'd go with the 245's. But I'm guessing that the 245's will work without too much problems--maybe a slight rub at full lock and compression. And I've heard better reviews with Kumho's than Firestone's.

Also, do you need an M/T? I'd look into Michelin LTX A/T or Bridgestone REVO's, too. My friend with the LTX A/T has over 90k on them and still has some life left. Amazing wear on those tires. And he's gone to Moab several times, too on the same tires.
I'm going to keep my stock rims/tires for daily driving and swap in the mudders for weekend fun as needed, so yea, i want and M/T's

tire comparason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.