Radio won't turn on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Radio won't turn on

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 08-21-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
bei337

Radio won't turn on

I was out of town for three months, and when I got back my Jeep's battery was, unsurprisingly, dead. I jumped it and everything seemed to be working fine except for the radio, which refuses to turn on now.

I have heard that the radio will need to be unlocked with a radio code, but how can I input the code when the radio doesn't even turn on at all?

bei337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
JeepinJarhead03

what year vehicle
what model radio..

etc?

naturally make sure the fuse isn't blown
JeepinJarhead03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
bei337

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJarhead03 View Post
what year vehicle
what model radio..

etc?

naturally make sure the fuse isn't blown
2002 Jeep Liberty with the stock radio.

If the fuse is blown, would all the other eletronics in the car work? Because everything else work fine. Or is there a specific fuse for the radio?
Unread 08-21-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
JeepinJarhead03

should be a fuse for the radio in the junction block in the panel that you can get to when you open the drivers door

can't remember which fuse is the radio

i don't think anything else is on it other than the radio tho
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
bei337

There's a fuse for Radio Choke Relay, and another one for Radio and Front Door lock... was wondering what the Radio Choke is? Cause the front door lock works fine, so I don't think it's that one.

Last edited by bei337; 08-21-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Unread 08-22-2011, 04:21 AM   #6
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bei337 View Post
There's a fuse for Radio Choke Relay, and another one for Radio and Front Door lock... was wondering what the Radio Choke is? Cause the front door lock works fine, so I don't think it's that one.

The circuit diagram for the 2002 standard radio shows fuse 32 and fuse 34...both in the junction box.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:07 AM   #7
JeepinJarhead03

the choke keeps engine noise and other crap out of your radio's receive

if 32 and 34 show good, (thanks bill)

then all I know to tell ya is either the radio **** itself.. which they're known to do.. or the antenna grounding wiggled itself via a field mouse or something..

i caught a lil mouse chewing on the insulation on that kick panel on the passenger side next to the blower motor

I know dang well he was the one that made my stock radio go bad ....

well.. actually he wasn't it blew a capacitor.

My experience with the stock radio, it's a decent unit for what it is, but it's built to last about 5 years

if you're driving down the road and it comes back to life magically, or it just magically decides to work and thumps and it goes dark again, the head units bad, it's happened to a lot of us
Unread 08-22-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
bei337

Quote:
the choke keeps engine noise and other crap out of your radio's receive

if 32 and 34 show good, (thanks bill)

then all I know to tell ya is either the radio **** itself.. which they're known to do.. or the antenna grounding wiggled itself via a field mouse or something..

i caught a lil mouse chewing on the insulation on that kick panel on the passenger side next to the blower motor

I know dang well he was the one that made my stock radio go bad ....

well.. actually he wasn't it blew a capacitor.

My experience with the stock radio, it's a decent unit for what it is, but it's built to last about 5 years

if you're driving down the road and it comes back to life magically, or it just magically decides to work and thumps and it goes dark again, the head units bad, it's happened to a lot of us
So I checked the fuses today(all of them, including 32 and 34 specifically) and they look good.

I took out the dashboard and looked behind the radio unit. All the wires look ok from the outside. And the long wire with a circular plug, which I'm assuming is the antenna, looks ok, too. What do you mean by the antenna grounding? Would that cause the radio to not turn on at all?

At this point can I assume it's not the radio lock code since the unit doesn't power on at all? Assuming it is a dead unit, can I buy a cheap aftermarket radio to replace it?
Unread 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #9
JeepinJarhead03

yeah that silver looking piece that screws into the back of the radio is the antenna coax

Mine did a very similar thing that yours (appears) to have done

it worked one day, then didn't work the next

and I was riding down the road and all of a sudden it started working again

then a few miles later shut off then never came back on, popped the cover off of it and it had blew a few capacitors

I got a kenwood MP3U style head unit from best buy while they were on sale, the adapter plate to take up the extra space, the antenna converter module and the wiring harness adapter for about 130ish

totally love the new radio, with the USB plug, can use flash drives as "cd's" and it'll let you power and control Ipods Generation 2 and above and the aux in jack on the front can be used for mp3 players or an aux in for a CB or HAM 2way where the audio from the radio goes through your stereo speakers in the jeep

Unread 08-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #10
bei337

Quote:
yeah that silver looking piece that screws into the back of the radio is the antenna coax

Mine did a very similar thing that yours (appears) to have done

it worked one day, then didn't work the next

and I was riding down the road and all of a sudden it started working again

then a few miles later shut off then never came back on, popped the cover off of it and it had blew a few capacitors

I got a kenwood MP3U style head unit from best buy while they were on sale, the adapter plate to take up the extra space, the antenna converter module and the wiring harness adapter for about 130ish

totally love the new radio, with the USB plug, can use flash drives as "cd's" and it'll let you power and control Ipods Generation 2 and above and the aux in jack on the front can be used for mp3 players or an aux in for a CB or HAM 2way where the audio from the radio goes through your stereo speakers in the jeep
Was the installation of that aftermarket radio easy? Did you have to do any modifications? If it's just plug and play, then I'll just go down to bestbuy and buy one right away. If it doesn't work, at least I can determine that it's probably some wiring problem and not the radio's fault.
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
JeepinJarhead03

are ya any good with soldering?

it's a good idea to solder and wrap the adapter harness wires to the new radio

if you're not good at it, any car audio place will usually do it for ya for real cheap

other than that.. plug and play
Unread 08-22-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Was the installation of that aftermarket radio easy? Did you have to do any modifications? If it's just plug and play, then I'll just go down to bestbuy and buy one right away. If it doesn't work, at least I can determine that it's probably some wiring problem and not the radio's fault.
Check out Cructhfield.com,good deals,free install kits,and great instructions.
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #13
bei337

Quote:
are ya any good with soldering?

it's a good idea to solder and wrap the adapter harness wires to the new radio

if you're not good at it, any car audio place will usually do it for ya for real cheap

other than that.. plug and play
I went to WalMart and bought a really cheap unit along with a adapter for Jeep. The unit comes with a plug with wires exposing on the other end. I suppose I just need to use electric tape and group them together matching the colors?
Unread 08-22-2011, 08:31 PM   #14
JeepinJarhead03

"need" to solder them as per the wiring directions, if you don't feel comfortable soldering them like i said, a car audio shop or even walmarts install shop will do it for ya for a price or install it for ya for a slightly higher price im sure

seen way too many taped electrical connections on stereos come lose and cause fires
Unread 08-23-2011, 02:41 AM   #15
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I went to WalMart and bought a really cheap unit along with a adapter for Jeep. The unit comes with a plug with wires exposing on the other end. I suppose I just need to use electric tape and group them together matching the colors?
There is no guarantee the colors of the wires will match between the two units so be carefull!
Get yourself some heat shrink-tubing insulation. This comes in various sizes...get one with slightly larger internal diameter than the wires...fit a section of shrink-tubing
over the wires...solder wires together...move the shrink insulation over the joint and gently heat the shrink insulation with a heat gun or low heat soldering iron.
The shrink insulation now forms a tight cover of the soldered joint.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.