radiator replacement 05 kj sport 4x4 auto with a/c - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > radiator replacement 05 kj sport 4x4 auto with a/c

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
05kjsport
2005 KJ Liberty 

radiator replacement 05 kj sport 4x4 auto with a/c

libby has 128,000 miles radiator leaking from drivers side down along the side of the plastic outer housing. if anyone can give me any tips tricks to this job i appreciate it. going to get a oem radiator from local jeep dealer tomorrow got a buddy thats a master tech there hopefully i wont get gouged on the price, seems like a pretty straight forward job but if anyone has run into any snags please let me know.

05kjsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Do you have HD cooling(IE the mechanical fan)? If so you will need some special tool to remove/install that but if not it's pretty straight forward though I'd remove the battery tray as it has a piece that hangs out(used to mount the PS pump for those KJ's with the 2.4 gas engine) that makes it fun trying to get the old radiator out and new one in.You can cut that piece off if you wish so you don't have to remove the whole battery tray.
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
05kjsport
2005 KJ Liberty 

it has the 3.7 with the electric fan, is there a way to fill the radiator from the top? i was told to remove the hex bolt from the top radiator hose housing to fill the new radiator so there is no air in the system, fill the new radiator completely then fill the expansion tank to full cold. i have not taken the crossmember off on top of the radiator yet, is there a fill on top?
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

No fill on top
never done it the way someone told you to, replaced mine once , buddy with an 03 has done his a few times ( cheap radiators) and always just filled from the reservoir
Unread 07-19-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
05kjsport
2005 KJ Liberty 

so the question at hand is do you fill the system from the expansion tank? or do you fill the radiator from the top hose port until full then fill the tank to full cold? and is it necessary to remove the bleeder screw when filling the system?
Unread 07-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05kjsport View Post
so the question at hand is do you fill the system from the expansion tank? or do you fill the radiator from the top hose port until full then fill the tank to full cold? and is it necessary to remove the bleeder screw when filling the system?
You can do it eitherway,both work and I've done it both ways and either works.

Now if you replace the t-stat you will want to fill through tha bleed screw to fill the engine also to make "burping" the system much easier,not required if just replacing the radiator.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.