Radiator Fan Difficulties (not your average issue) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Radiator Fan Difficulties (not your average issue)

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
rileym94
2003 KJ Liberty 

Radiator Fan Difficulties (not your average issue)

First post for me, Yay!!

Alrighty, I replaced my radiator fan in June of last year after an episode of overheating, soon followed by my radiator. Things rolled along until February, when the car overheated again, and we found that the fan had gone out again, and radiator had to be replaced again as well.

We've replaced the fan a third time now (barely a month ago), and we have found that something is causing the fan to pull too much amperage and the wires are getting extremely hot (hot enough we melted a couple a test leads together. )

We checked the wires at the relay, and the wire heating doesn't appear to be there. We're looking at replacing the relay to be safe, but it's currently on backorder. (I read a post recommending the factory relay, saying that the aftermarket ones don't hold the load too well.)

It seems that as long as i'm not driving in city conditions that the fan does well, doesn't get too hot. Luckily my fan is on lifetime warranty, so I can get a new one with no problem, but changing this fan monthly will get old, and my stepdad (who is an experienced mechanic) is running out of ideas. Has anyone else had this issue? Can anyone help? I'm a poor college student and I am getting pretty frustrated at this point.

Please help!!

rileym94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 05:31 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

What brand of fan? I have found that almost all aftermarket fans are junk and fail early.Names like Dorman,TWC,and some others are to be avoided.
Unread 03-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
rileym94
2003 KJ Liberty 

Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
What brand of fan? I have found that almost all aftermarket fans are junk and fail early.Names like Dorman,TWC,and some others are to be avoided.
I ended up with two different brands through this circus. The first one was a Dorman, the current fan is a VDO
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
pataxe
2003 KJ Liberty 

Any recomendations on what brand of fan to use? I have to replace mine and already ordered a Dorman one. I can still cancel the order and get another.
pataxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileym94 View Post
I ended up with two different brands through this circus. The first one was a Dorman, the current fan is a VDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataxe View Post
Any recomendations on what brand of fan to use? I have to replace mine and already ordered a Dorman one. I can still cancel the order and get another.
This one of those things that OEM is best.Sure you will pay alot more but better then overheating every few weeks/months and having get a tow and warranty out another junk aftermarket fan.
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
rileym94
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pataxe View Post
Dorman is a no go. VDO seems good, but like I said, I've been through 3 of them. I just called 3 different Jeep dealerships and the fan ranged from $414-$526
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileym94 View Post
Dorman is a no go. VDO seems good, but like I said, I've been through 3 of them. I just called 3 different Jeep dealerships and the fan ranged from $414-$526
Just think 3 years ago when they discontinued the HD cooling package you could get the electric fan,shroud,and mechanical fan(clutch included) for $272 at the dealership.
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
rileym94
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Just think 3 years ago when they discontinued the HD cooling package you could get the electric fan,shroud,and mechanical fan(clutch included) for $272 at the dealership.
I wish! That was the price for the "module" as they call it, which is all of that. The relay is $75-$110 and on backorder.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Unread 03-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Might be worth a check on some of the online Mopar vender's, should be a bit less expensive.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
rileym94
2003 KJ Liberty 

Alrighty, I think we've fixed the issue! We replaced the relay (which was the "old style" it turns out) and the fan with genuine mopar parts. The wires warmed up, but not nearly as bad. I am hoping the $420 worth of parts we just dumped into it fixed the problem, but we shall see! Thanks for all the help everybody, I really appreciate it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.