Question about the sound system... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Question about the sound system...

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
offramp

Question about the sound system...

During my trip back from purchasing the car, the front speakers managed to fail enough to rattle on low frequencies. I can either fix them or replace them, but as I haven't taken the door panels off to look yet (haven't had the time) I'm wondering if anyone happens to know what the factory system consists of... is it a brand name or no name, and what specs?

Thanks!

offramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
bigal1962
1995 ZJ 

I replaced front speakers in my daughters 2002 system, the door panels come off super easy
The stock radio has no markings but these did come with a premium sound system version too. it will say on radio if its a premium system. The premium had speakers with amps at the speakers. This one was stock and I just changed the speaker.
bigal1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
offramp

speaker size? brand?
Being that mine is a Limited with leather, sunroof, etc., I imagine it's the Premium system....that subwoofer kicks ***, lemme tell ya.
Unread 07-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
bigal1962
1995 ZJ 

I installed 6 1/2 inch Jensen's in the doors and they sound really good
Unread 07-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
bigal1962
1995 ZJ 

They were also 50 watt 4 ohm speakers, a friend also told me with a little work you could remove the preamps off the old speakers and attach to a new set rated for a min 60 watts. By the way the speakers pulled out were repaired with gorilla tape and are currently working as pool party speakers and work great.
Unread 07-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #6
Asmara
2004 KJ Liberty 

My car was doing the same.

I pulled off the door panel and noted that the glue that holds the rubber part of the speaker to the plastic housing had failed. after cleaning the plastic, I ran a bead of clear silicone around the whole edge of the speaker where the rubber meets the plastic and they sound great now.
Asmara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
offramp

I've long figured it was the surround part. I've repaired speakers before, so it's not really an issue.
I'm not surprised this happened... the previous owner is not a 'cranker', and some of the stuff I listen to has some good, solid low end on it. When you add to it, she only put 16k miles on the car in 9 years...you can see it sat a lot.

What I'm looking for is if the speaks are a brand-name or no-name, what kind of set up is behind the door (am I right in thinking there's an amp on each speaker?), and if they're something other than just a woofer, being that the tweeter is up in the dash...are they 2-ways that have crossovers tuned to act as a woofer and midrange in the door, or just a straight 2-way system with woofer in the door and tweeters in the dash? Are they mounted on the door panel or on the door frame?
Unread 07-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
offramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal1962 View Post
I installed 6 1/2 inch Jensen's in the doors and they sound really good
What model Jensen, do you remember?
Unread 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Asmara
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offramp View Post
I've long figured it was the surround part. I've repaired speakers before, so it's not really an issue.
I'm not surprised this happened... the previous owner is not a 'cranker', and some of the stuff I listen to has some good, solid low end on it. When you add to it, she only put 16k miles on the car in 9 years...you can see it sat a lot.

What I'm looking for is if the speaks are a brand-name or no-name, what kind of set up is behind the door (am I right in thinking there's an amp on each speaker?), and if they're something other than just a woofer, being that the tweeter is up in the dash...are they 2-ways that have crossovers tuned to act as a woofer and midrange in the door, or just a straight 2-way system with woofer in the door and tweeters in the dash? Are they mounted on the door panel or on the door frame?
I only pulled the passenger side speaker but mine had an amplifier connected to the speaker and had an infinity sticker on it. I have a limited model Liberty. It was a 1 way (or just normal) speaker.
Asmara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
offramp

Mine's a Limited, too, so I guess... Infinity.
Unread 07-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
bigal1962
1995 ZJ 

They were js65's older models I had for several years but worked great even without the mounted amps on them
Unread 07-30-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
SabaII
2002 KJ Liberty 

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f201/how...acement-51819/
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #13
offramp

Hey, that was helpful. Thanks!

If I have my druthers, I'll re-surround the existing speakers, rather than replace, because I'm ok with how they sound (or, sounded before they fizzled), and would prefer to not have to worry about modifying something in order to make a replacement fit.
Part of the trick is, most of the reason a speaker cone fails like that is the surrounds are foam, which rots over time, and not butyl rubber.
Unread 07-31-2012, 12:19 PM   #14
offramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal1962 View Post
They were js65's older models I had for several years but worked great even without the mounted amps on them
Now THAT's curious... was it a 'premium' sound system?
If that's what happened, then that tells me the preamp is pretty strong, strong enough to drive a speaker load.

I've missed this: are they 6.5"?
Unread 07-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
bigal1962
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by offramp

Now THAT's curious... was it a 'premium' sound system?
If that's what happened, then that tells me the preamp is pretty strong, strong enough to drive a speaker load.

I've missed this: are they 6.5"?
Yes it was the premium sound system after looking at the radio when she came over, yes they are 6.5

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.