problems starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > problems starting

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-06-2014, 06:29 AM   #1
jpfix
1991 YJ Wrangler 

problems starting

My 2005 Jeep Liberty has had some occasional problems starting since I purchased it in 2009. The vast majority of the time it starts up just fine, but every once in awhile, it just doesn't quite want to turn over all the way. It'll be almost there, but it just doesn't want to start. It typically happens when the car is warm (i.e. has been driven for 30-45 minutes and then left to sit for 20 minutes), and when I turn the key it just doesn't start (it WANTS to, it just doesn't quite get there). Usually, if I try a few times and turn the key extra hard and maybe give it some extra gas, it will start up. Every time I have taken it to a mechanic, I've mentioned this problem, and they'll try to figure out the issue, but they are never able to get it act up. My gas mileage has taken a major nosedive over the last few months as well. I'm not sure if they're related issues, but figured I should mention it. Any ideas?

jpfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

First suggestion, don't make multiple posts about it,lol. How old are your spark plugs? Less than 30k, copper core plugs gapped to OE spec? What kind of fuel do you use? Not E85 right? Lastly I would check fuel pressure. If it is running below spec, heat soak conditions can make a vapor lock condition.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #3
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

If it does not want to turn over all the way sometimes I would suggest the battery needs checking, the battery connections need to be clean and tight, the negative battery lead to chassis must be clean and tight and the grounding cable from engine to chassis must be clean and tight on both ends.

Also swap out the Starter Relay with an identical one next to it.
Unread 04-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Bilge
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'll get back to you after I get back from the mall.
mallgrrrr.jpg

Unread 04-08-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
JeepOwner33
2003 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like what I have been going through.

Here is a topic I started on this a few days ago with a lot of good responces.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f28/h...-help-2286929/
JeepOwner33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.