Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Problems with 2005 Jeep Liberty

18K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  libertyordeath8 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty. Recently it started getting a strong shake in the steering wheel when driving on the interstate. The shake started at 60 mph and increased as you got up to 65/70 then kinda wore off past 75 mph. I took the Jeep to a local Jeep dealer and service center.

They checked it over and said both front tie rods were bad as well as the right front wheel bearing. The overall repairs were 700 bucks and I had them fix it. The next day I was back on the interstate and the shaking in the wheel was still present so that afternoon I returned to the service center and now they think a bearing under the hood that absorbs vibration from the wheel is bad, another 250 dollar repair.

Any ideas as to what may cause the shaking in the steering wheel? Are tie rods and wheel bearings normal to have going out, my care is a 2005 with 73k miles on it.

#4 ·
Normally a bad tie-rod or a bad bearing will not cause a vibration in the steering wheel at a certain speed. Im not saying it cant happen but it seems to me like youve wasted tons of money by going to the dealer.

Most likely its just a tire out of balance. $30-40max depending on the tire shop that balances the tires.

Also, there is no such thing as a bearing under the hood that absorbs vibrations. That dealer has truly violated you.

#5 ·
This is your time to be the irate customer wherever you took your Jeep to. This is what mechanics hate, "The Come Back". They did not fix your problem, they only threw parts at your car. You need to insist on getting it fixed for free, because of their mistake. They must fix it for free, they cannot avoid it. You should probably get your money back because they did not fix your problem and never really figured out what was wrong with it. They just wanted to get you in and out quick. Check your warranty too, it should still be covered depending on your mileage. Have the garage prove that the parts taken off your Jeep were even bad to BEGIN with. Check around your wheels for brighter paint, I agree with the above comment that it may be a wheel weight. Was your car aligned (four wheel alignment) after the tire rods were replaced, this should be standard.

#7 ·
You really need to start a new thread - insted of tagging on to a old necro thread that has no connection to what you are questioning about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.