Problem with flashers on '05 Liberty Sport - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 08-18-2017, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
tmzphoto

Problem with flashers on '05 Liberty Sport

Hi,

I'm new here. We have a '99 Wrangler (TJ), and an '05 Liberty Sport (KJ). I'm having a problem with the Liberty (Gas, V6) that I just can't figure out, and I'm really hoping that some kind soul can help me!

The Liberty got hit in a parking lot on the driver's side corner. The bumper skin was damaged, and the driver's side turn signal housing was broken. I replaced the bumper skin and turn signal housing, and all the broken bulbs. When I turn on the headlights, all the lights come on as expected. Running lights, side markers, everything illuminates.

But when I turn on the hazard lights, I get no light from the RIGHT side marker, the left side marker, or the left front turn signal. With turn signals, the right front turn signal flashes, but no right side marker light. I get nothing on the left front, and all rear lights work fine.

So, in a nutshell, under headlights all the lights work. Under any kind of flashers, nothing from the left front turn signal, left front side marker, or right front side marker. The right front turn signal works, as do the rears.

I've checked every fuse in the fuse box manually, and replaced fuses 9 and 39, even though they looked okay. I replaced the hazard switch today, with no change, except that I used to get a fast blink on the left turn signal on the dashboard. Now the timing is normal, but with no change in the lights.

I'm baffled. It shouldn't be a socket or a bulb, because all the bulbs illuminate with the headlight switch. I replaced the hazard switch, and checked the fuses. It's got to be something in the flasher system wiring, but I don't know where to look.

Can anyone offer me some suggestions on what I might try next? Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-20-2017, 02:13 AM
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmzphoto View Post
Hi,

I'm new here. We have a '99 Wrangler (TJ), and an '05 Liberty Sport (KJ). I'm having a problem with the Liberty (Gas, V6) that I just can't figure out, and I'm really hoping that some kind soul can help me!

The Liberty got hit in a parking lot on the driver's side corner. The bumper skin was damaged, and the driver's side turn signal housing was broken. I replaced the bumper skin and turn signal housing, and all the broken bulbs. When I turn on the headlights, all the lights come on as expected. Running lights, side markers, everything illuminates.

But when I turn on the hazard lights, I get no light from the RIGHT side marker, the left side marker, or the left front turn signal. With turn signals, the right front turn signal flashes, but no right side marker light. I get nothing on the left front, and all rear lights work fine.

So, in a nutshell, under headlights all the lights work. Under any kind of flashers, nothing from the left front turn signal, left front side marker, or right front side marker. The right front turn signal works, as do the rears.

I've checked every fuse in the fuse box manually, and replaced fuses 9 and 39, even though they looked okay. I replaced the hazard switch today, with no change, except that I used to get a fast blink on the left turn signal on the dashboard. Now the timing is normal, but with no change in the lights.

I'm baffled. It shouldn't be a socket or a bulb, because all the bulbs illuminate with the headlight switch. I replaced the hazard switch, and checked the fuses. It's got to be something in the flasher system wiring, but I don't know where to look.

Can anyone offer me some suggestions on what I might try next? Thank you!!!
Download the 2005 KJ Service manual here....includes the Wiring Diagrams.

Check the wiring for damage and check that the failing lamps have a good ground attachment to them.
The wiring going to the failing lamps need to be tested with a Multi meter for continuity and also tested to see that the power wire ....ie. flashing +12 volts...has no path to ground with the bulbs pulled out and the plug at the Flasher Unit pulled out....the wires may have been damaged and the insulation broken so that there is a partial short to ground. The Multifunction switch I believe has nothing to do with this...do your testing with the flasher unit pressed in but bear in mind that a short may have damaged your flasher unit initially and has now also damaged your new flasher unit.

Try pull out all the bulbs and the flasher unit and using the Ohm function on the multi-meter measure the continuity between the front, side and rear bulb holders and measure for leakage to chassis with battery disconnected...the left side lamps are basically in parallel together and the same on the right side.

KJ Service Manuals: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.