Power Steering Hose - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Power Steering Hose

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:35 PM   #1
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 358
Power Steering Hose

My high-pressure power steering hose is leaking. What is a good decent brand to replace it with? Or should I just replace it with another OEM hose?

02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 358
Someone has to know, anybody???
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
Senior Member
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern, OH
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty
My high-pressure power steering hose is leaking. What is a good decent brand to replace it with? Or should I just replace it with another OEM hose?
There are hose kits available through RockAuto.com as well at the various auto parts stores. I would choose OEM if I had to replace mine just for the peace of mind that it will hold up for the long haul.

My 2 cents

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
__________________
2003 Renegade, Black
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2014, 07:02 AM   #4
02blue
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
There are hose kits available through RockAuto.com as well at the various auto parts stores. I would choose OEM if I had to replace mine just for the peace of mind that it will hold up for the long haul.
__________________
"Hey, ya never know til you try." Kurt Russell-Big Trouble in Little China
02blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,271
I've got the Edelmann hose from RockAuto in mine. Fraction of the cost of OEM, it looked identical when I compared them side-by-side, and it's been holding up fine for 3 years now.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2
I've got the Edelmann hose from RockAuto in mine. Fraction of the cost of OEM, it looked identical when I compared them side-by-side, and it's been holding up fine for 3 years now.
Did it come with any type of warranty?
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 03:15 PM   #7
5-90
Registered User
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Jose, CA, Hammerspace
Posts: 5,344
I've been using Edelmann for years. I don't recall their warranty - but the best warranty is the one you don't need, and I've never needed Edelmann's.

Nota Bene - Make sure you use a flare nut wrench to remove and install the hose! It will be a metric size - probably 16m/m or 18m/m - but the flare nuts are nowhere near as hard as a regular hex nut, and you are likely to round the thing off if you use a regular wrench on it.

I usually coat the threads with never-seez, tighten it down finger tight, then add 1/4-1/3 turn after with a wrench (torque angle is workable regardless of lubricant used, since it will always give the same preload.) Check it after a day's service, tighten an additional 1/6-turn if necessary. You should not need to do more than that.
__________________
"recon" (sic - reckon)(tm) "hihgly"(tm) "seceed"(tm)
"Outback AIDS - Alcohol-Induced Dizzy Spells"
5-90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #8
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
I've been using Edelmann for years. I don't recall their warranty - but the best warranty is the one you don't need, and I've never needed Edelmann's. Nota Bene - Make sure you use a flare nut wrench to remove and install the hose! It will be a metric size - probably 16m/m or 18m/m - but the flare nuts are nowhere near as hard as a regular hex nut, and you are likely to round the thing off if you use a regular wrench on it. I usually coat the threads with never-seez, tighten it down finger tight, then add 1/4-1/3 turn after with a wrench (torque angle is workable regardless of lubricant used, since it will always give the same preload.) Check it after a day's service, tighten an additional 1/6-turn if necessary. You should not need to do more than that.
Ok, so I have found some Edelmann PS hoses on eBay. They don't look they exact same as the OEM ones I have found. Could it just be a generic picture Edelmann is using? The first picture is the OEM Mopar one, second is Edelmann. Let me know what you think, thanks for the help!
image-1328933795.jpg

image-3388826386.jpg

02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,271
Yes, Edelmann is using a generic photo of the 2004+ hose which doesn't have the integrated pressure switch. If you look up RockAuto's listings for the 2002-03 KJ hose, it specifically says "with switch port".

RockAuto's info page about the Edelmann hose says there's a 12 month warranty, but like 5-90 says, the best warranty is the one you never have to use. I also have an Edelmann PS hose in my 1993 ZJ, and that's holding up equally well (and again cost a fraction of the OEM price).
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 03:25 PM   #10
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2
Yes, Edelmann is using a generic photo of the 2004+ hose which doesn't have the integrated pressure switch. If you look up RockAuto's listings for the 2002-03 KJ hose, it specifically says "with switch port". RockAuto's info page about the Edelmann hose says there's a 12 month warranty, but like 5-90 says, the best warranty is the one you never have to use. I also have an Edelmann PS hose in my 1993 ZJ, and that's holding up equally well (and again cost a fraction of the OEM price).
which is the one I need? I don't know the difference between the first two...
image-4280145088.jpg

02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty View Post
which is the one I need? I don't know the difference between the first two...
Either one,same hose just different manufacturers.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:07 AM   #12
02jeepliberty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Either one,same hose just different manufacturers.
Which is the better manufacture? The Edelmann?
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty View Post
Which is the better manufacture? The Edelmann?
I'd trust the Gates name before any others.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.