Power Steering Hose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Power Steering Hose

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 05-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
02jeepliberty

Power Steering Hose

My high-pressure power steering hose is leaking. What is a good decent brand to replace it with? Or should I just replace it with another OEM hose?

02jeepliberty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
02jeepliberty

Someone has to know, anybody???
Unread 05-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty
My high-pressure power steering hose is leaking. What is a good decent brand to replace it with? Or should I just replace it with another OEM hose?
There are hose kits available through RockAuto.com as well at the various auto parts stores. I would choose OEM if I had to replace mine just for the peace of mind that it will hold up for the long haul.

My 2 cents

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBobsKJ View Post
There are hose kits available through RockAuto.com as well at the various auto parts stores. I would choose OEM if I had to replace mine just for the peace of mind that it will hold up for the long haul.
Unread 05-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I've got the Edelmann hose from RockAuto in mine. Fraction of the cost of OEM, it looked identical when I compared them side-by-side, and it's been holding up fine for 3 years now.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #6
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2
I've got the Edelmann hose from RockAuto in mine. Fraction of the cost of OEM, it looked identical when I compared them side-by-side, and it's been holding up fine for 3 years now.
Did it come with any type of warranty?
Unread 05-11-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I've been using Edelmann for years. I don't recall their warranty - but the best warranty is the one you don't need, and I've never needed Edelmann's.

Nota Bene - Make sure you use a flare nut wrench to remove and install the hose! It will be a metric size - probably 16m/m or 18m/m - but the flare nuts are nowhere near as hard as a regular hex nut, and you are likely to round the thing off if you use a regular wrench on it.

I usually coat the threads with never-seez, tighten it down finger tight, then add 1/4-1/3 turn after with a wrench (torque angle is workable regardless of lubricant used, since it will always give the same preload.) Check it after a day's service, tighten an additional 1/6-turn if necessary. You should not need to do more than that.
Unread 05-11-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90
I've been using Edelmann for years. I don't recall their warranty - but the best warranty is the one you don't need, and I've never needed Edelmann's. Nota Bene - Make sure you use a flare nut wrench to remove and install the hose! It will be a metric size - probably 16m/m or 18m/m - but the flare nuts are nowhere near as hard as a regular hex nut, and you are likely to round the thing off if you use a regular wrench on it. I usually coat the threads with never-seez, tighten it down finger tight, then add 1/4-1/3 turn after with a wrench (torque angle is workable regardless of lubricant used, since it will always give the same preload.) Check it after a day's service, tighten an additional 1/6-turn if necessary. You should not need to do more than that.
Ok, so I have found some Edelmann PS hoses on eBay. They don't look they exact same as the OEM ones I have found. Could it just be a generic picture Edelmann is using? The first picture is the OEM Mopar one, second is Edelmann. Let me know what you think, thanks for the help!
image-1328933795.jpg

image-3388826386.jpg

Unread 05-12-2014, 12:11 AM   #9
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Yes, Edelmann is using a generic photo of the 2004+ hose which doesn't have the integrated pressure switch. If you look up RockAuto's listings for the 2002-03 KJ hose, it specifically says "with switch port".

RockAuto's info page about the Edelmann hose says there's a 12 month warranty, but like 5-90 says, the best warranty is the one you never have to use. I also have an Edelmann PS hose in my 1993 ZJ, and that's holding up equally well (and again cost a fraction of the OEM price).
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #10
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2
Yes, Edelmann is using a generic photo of the 2004+ hose which doesn't have the integrated pressure switch. If you look up RockAuto's listings for the 2002-03 KJ hose, it specifically says "with switch port". RockAuto's info page about the Edelmann hose says there's a 12 month warranty, but like 5-90 says, the best warranty is the one you never have to use. I also have an Edelmann PS hose in my 1993 ZJ, and that's holding up equally well (and again cost a fraction of the OEM price).
which is the one I need? I don't know the difference between the first two...
image-4280145088.jpg

Unread 05-12-2014, 11:03 PM   #11
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty View Post
which is the one I need? I don't know the difference between the first two...
Either one,same hose just different manufacturers.
Unread 05-13-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
02jeepliberty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
Either one,same hose just different manufacturers.
Which is the better manufacture? The Edelmann?
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02jeepliberty View Post
Which is the better manufacture? The Edelmann?
I'd trust the Gates name before any others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.