Please respond - has you 3.7 dropped a valve seat? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Please respond - has you 3.7 dropped a valve seat?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

View Poll Results: Has your 3.7 dropped a valve seat?
Yes it has 5 35.71%
No it has not 9 64.29%
I don't know or I don't have a 3.7 0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
olliehopnoodle
Registered User
1982 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mesa, az
Posts: 1,064
Please respond - has you 3.7 dropped a valve seat?

After an engine rebuild my 3.7 decided to drop a valve seat. Reading on the web this is not an uncommon problem so I decided to ask you all if it has happened to you. I am starting to think the 3.7 is a bit of a turd...

So please answer yes or no.

Thanks!

__________________
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,146
No here and I drive mine like a rapped ape,as it bounces off the redline at least 10 times a day trying to move a 6000lbs Jeep.


#1 cause of dropped valve seats is the engine was overheated in which I would say over 95% of all cases of dropped valve seats are caused by just that,overheating.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 2,426
Yep, nearly all cases of dropped valve seats came from 3.7/4.7 engines that had been overheated at some time in their life. When someone tells me about a dropped seat on their vehicle, or it comes in with one, I always ask about past overheating. You would be amazed at the stunned looks on the customer's faces when I already know what has happened at sometime. Usually blindsides them enough they don't bother lying about it. IIRC there is an improved design valve seat now.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
olliehopnoodle
Registered User
1982 FSJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: mesa, az
Posts: 1,064
When you say overheated how overheated do you mean? My wife said hers once got just a little over 'half way' but it never really overheated.

We did have the engine rebuilt. Do you think resurfacing of the seats would contribute to a possible problem? It got low on oil and spun a bearing. Even then it never 'over heated'.

Story: Engine gets warmer than normal at idle. Electric fan had died but it has mechanical fan as well.

Electric fan is replaced. Shortly after the engine is run low on oil and spins a bearing.

Engine is rebuilt. About 6000 miles later, and with no issues, a valve seat drops.

Engine is at about 155K miles total.
__________________
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
When you say overheated how overheated do you mean? My wife said hers once got just a little over 'half way' but it never really overheated.Gauge isn't accurate. In particular, needle movement is not linear to temperature increase. Without looking at a scan tool to see what actual temp was seen, it is hard to say what real temp was.

We did have the engine rebuilt. Do you think resurfacing of the seats would contribute to a possible problem? It got low on oil and spun a bearing. Even then it never 'over heated'. Overheating is really any temperature above what the engine was designed to run at. If your wife is running it out of oil, chances are she isn't telling you how hot it really is. As I say, I'm not your momma, you don't have to lie to me. Just say how hot it really got sis.

Story: Engine gets warmer than normal at idle. Electric fan had died but it has mechanical fan as well. Mechanical fan kicks in around 230*. tjkj can correct me on that if need be. Excessive heat regardless

Electric fan is replaced. Shortly after the engine is run low on oil and spins a bearing. Severe stress on engine, oil should be checked weekly, sorry for the lecture but true.

Engine is rebuilt. About 6000 miles later, and with no issues, a valve seat drops.If the engine was rebuilt, rebuilder likely ignored valve seats if they saw no issue immediately with them. Rebuilders frequently skimp and cut corners where they can. That's why its so much cheaper than a Jasper engine for example. Parts carried over from before engine failure that suffered overheating.

Engine is at about 155K miles total.
That's my take on it. May sound a lil harsh, but as I told my ex-wife, if she will not take care of her car correctly, there is a city bus she can ride on. And just to clarify, an engine can be considered overheated even if it didn't reach the red zone.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
Gunpowder
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 55
Yes and no it never overheated. Replaced with a Reman engine 6K ago. Of course today I got the call the tranny went out
Gunpowder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #7
RB145
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 411
We have an 2003 Liberty 3.7 in the family with over 200K miles on it with no engine or trans work. When it was brand new with 80 miles on it had bad read main seal leaking all over. That was repaired and it was the last thing repaired on the engine. We did have a couple water pumps replaced.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:38 PM   #8
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,146
Yep the temp gauge is just a dumby gauge.At the halfway mark the coolant temp is between 178 degrees and 229 degrees,at the 3/4 mark it between 230 degrees and 259 degrees,and at the full hot mark it's above 260 degrees.

The electric fan kicks on at 219 degrees(+/- 2 degrees) and if you have HD cooling the mechanical fan fully locks at 230 degrees(OE clutch).
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
x99j
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ohio
Posts: 447
The valve seats on the early 3.7l/4.7l are considered "low press fit". One overheat and they can come out.
This condition seems to be a lot more rare in the later versions of these motors.
At some point the valve seat clearance was changed making it a tighter fit.
__________________
06 kj 3.7l, 6speed manual, np241 command track

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
Jgrana
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 38
Mine did, from the 2nd cylinder I have a 2002 liberty
__________________
"Jeep is America's only real sports car." -Enzo Ferrari

2002 Liberty Limited 3.7
Jgrana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Jgrana
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 38
My liberty had 80,00 miles when the valve seat dropped in the 2nd cyllinder, it also damaged the piston and the valve, it now has a big groove in the top of the piston, also my jeep overheaded a few times because of a cracked water pump. i had to get a new cyllinder head and i got all 12 valves seats replaced with thicker, more durable ones, it ended up costing me about $1,200. In my opinion i think the 3.7L is a lemon and chrysler should recall the whole damn engine, Thats why they discontinued making them because there crap. I always wanted to put the new 3.6 pentastar in my jeep but i dont think thats possible. Im probaly going to get a new Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and get rid of my liberty
Jgrana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Leeann_KJ
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Edgewater, Maryland
Posts: 129
Wait, you let it overheat more than once because of a cracked water pump, but the engine's a lemon? Seriously?


Mine's never overheated nor has it dropped a valve seat.
Leeann_KJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrana View Post
My liberty had 80,00 miles when the valve seat dropped in the 2nd cyllinder, it also damaged the piston and the valve, it now has a big groove in the top of the piston, also my jeep overheaded a few times because of a cracked water pump. i had to get a new cyllinder head and i got all 12 valves seats replaced with thicker, more durable ones, it ended up costing me about $1,200. In my opinion i think the 3.7L is a lemon and chrysler should recall the whole damn engine, Thats why they discontinued making them because there crap. I always wanted to put the new 3.6 pentastar in my jeep but i dont think thats possible. Im probaly going to get a new Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and get rid of my liberty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeann_KJ View Post
Wait, you let it overheat more than once because of a cracked water pump, but the engine's a lemon? Seriously?


Mine's never overheated nor has it dropped a valve seat.
X2.....................................

Major owner abuse.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrana View Post
My liberty had 80,00 miles when the valve seat dropped in the 2nd cyllinder, it also damaged the piston and the valve, it now has a big groove in the top of the piston, also my jeep overheaded a few times because of a cracked water pump. i had to get a new cyllinder head and i got all 12 valves seats replaced with thicker, more durable ones, it ended up costing me about $1,200. In my opinion i think the 3.7L is a lemon and chrysler should recall the whole damn engine, Thats why they discontinued making them because there crap. I always wanted to put the new 3.6 pentastar in my jeep but i dont think thats possible. Im probaly going to get a new Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and get rid of my liberty
It won't matter. Not to bash you, but since you willfully let your engine overheat multiple times(you didn't figure out it was a bad thing the first time?), you essentially cooked it and suffered a part failure. What makes you think this won't happen again with the next vehicle? It doesn't matter who made what, there is a reason why it is called overheating. You're running the engine well beyond the temperatures it was designed to run. Some engines will crack the heads, some with all their plastic in the cooling system will require complete replacement of all parts. If you run an engine out of oil, would you be mad because it locked up? Would you blame the car maker? Sadly, it has become a fact of society now, the spoiled brat syndrome. Nothing is their fault, it is always someone else's. Your water pump failed, and engine temp went hot. You ignored the issue and let it happen multiple times. Something said enough and let go. That makes it your fault and yours alone. You were driving, you are the captain of the ship. You made the decision to continue driving it, not Jeep. Accept what you did, and get over it. If you aren't loaded with money, take better care of your stuff.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 01:04 AM   #15
RB145
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrana View Post
My liberty had 80,00 miles when the valve seat dropped in the 2nd cyllinder, it also damaged the piston and the valve, it now has a big groove in the top of the piston, also my jeep overheaded a few times because of a cracked water pump. i had to get a new cyllinder head and i got all 12 valves seats replaced with thicker, more durable ones, it ended up costing me about $1,200. In my opinion i think the 3.7L is a lemon and chrysler should recall the whole damn engine, Thats why they discontinued making them because there crap. I always wanted to put the new 3.6 pentastar in my jeep but i dont think thats possible. Im probaly going to get a new Ram with the 5.7 Hemi and get rid of my liberty
There are many 3.7's out there with 200K plus miles without an issue. You say it overheated a few times from a cracked water pump? I think your neglect may be the issue here.
RB145 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.