Please Help me Find Cooling Sys Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Please Help me Find Cooling Sys Leak

WJ Tube Doors Now Available!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Please Help me Find Cooling Sys Leak

Hi, our Liberty is not providing heat when its idling.

There is an apparent leak because I am having to add coolant to the reservoir every two days.

I checked everything I just cant find it.

Already ordered a new radiator and new thermostat but cant just simply changed them.

about 3 years ago the Liberty was serviced for a bad radiator and looks like the mechanic damaged the screws, new mechanic says he will not touch the screws unless I authorize the purchase of a $500 engine cover, new mechanic suspects threads are damaged, there is a thick putty type of stuff around a screw as if it was cemented in place.

I dont think the thermostat has gone bad due to the loss in coolant, there has to be a leak somewhere.

If I cannot visually identify the leak, what else can I do to identify the leak?

d5332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Check the water pump, they have a small weep hole on the bottom could be it or could be the radiator
Don't know what the tech is talking about a 500 dollar engine cover
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

The engine cover the mechanic referred to was the aluminum / metal that the thermostat screws onto, like the timing belt cover, forget the name but its the actual metal piece that the thermostat screws on to.

I will have to check again tonight for wet parts, I will check the waterpump, underneath for the thersmostat and check the radiator again.

I just cant find puddles or trail of dry antifreeze anywhere.
d5332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Timing chain cover. May be an overly paranoid mechanic. Buy, rent or borrow a coolant pressure tester, that will make the job of finding the leak a little easier.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.