Please Help me Find Cooling Sys Leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Please Help me Find Cooling Sys Leak

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Please Help me Find Cooling Sys Leak

Hi, our Liberty is not providing heat when its idling.

There is an apparent leak because I am having to add coolant to the reservoir every two days.

I checked everything I just cant find it.

Already ordered a new radiator and new thermostat but cant just simply changed them.

about 3 years ago the Liberty was serviced for a bad radiator and looks like the mechanic damaged the screws, new mechanic says he will not touch the screws unless I authorize the purchase of a $500 engine cover, new mechanic suspects threads are damaged, there is a thick putty type of stuff around a screw as if it was cemented in place.

I dont think the thermostat has gone bad due to the loss in coolant, there has to be a leak somewhere.

If I cannot visually identify the leak, what else can I do to identify the leak?

d5332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Check the water pump, they have a small weep hole on the bottom could be it or could be the radiator
Don't know what the tech is talking about a 500 dollar engine cover
Unread 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

The engine cover the mechanic referred to was the aluminum / metal that the thermostat screws onto, like the timing belt cover, forget the name but its the actual metal piece that the thermostat screws on to.

I will have to check again tonight for wet parts, I will check the waterpump, underneath for the thersmostat and check the radiator again.

I just cant find puddles or trail of dry antifreeze anywhere.
d5332 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Timing chain cover. May be an overly paranoid mechanic. Buy, rent or borrow a coolant pressure tester, that will make the job of finding the leak a little easier.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.