plasti-dip vs. bedliner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > plasti-dip vs. bedliner

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

plasti-dip vs. bedliner

Okay so I've heard that the plast-dip stuff will peel and shrink over time in the sun. This is a major concern as I live in Florida.

I was thinking of doing the rims (factory steelies), badges, and maybe bumpers and fender flares. The plastics aren't super bad just yet but they're on their way and I think it would look awsome. Here's a pic of the libby in question.
I'm looking for honest opinions here ladies and gents. Lemme know what you think!

forumrunner_20120604_174826.jpg

forumrunner_20120604_174918.jpg

Unread 06-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Plasti dip is probably not what you want to use. Would recommend giving Monstaliner a go, you can find a lengthy thread in the vendors section up top on the main page. It is UV stable (most are not) and you can call 'em and get a sample to see how it looks up close. Multiple colors are now made.

Personally wouldn't do rims with that kind of product, wire brush those and just spray can them. Easier to maintain & won't throw a balance issue into the mix.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
MoD
2005 KJ Liberty 

bed line all the way
MoD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

bed line all the way?
Not on the wheels, unless you want new wheels soon
Not only would it look like crap it would make them hard to balance etc , plus curb them or hit a rock and it comes off then
Just paint the wheels
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
ANG2005kj
2005 KJ Liberty 

I am gonna be bed lining my roof with monstaliner friday. I like the texture of it and that its uv stable as the roof is in direct sunlight.
ANG2005kj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

ANG2005kj,
how'd the monstaliner on the roof come out? id love to see some pice and hear any application tips you might have. how was the coverage?
jklanier84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
ANG2005kj
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklanier84 View Post
ANG2005kj,
how'd the monstaliner on the roof come out? id love to see some pice and hear any application tips you might have. how was the coverage?
Gotta say I love the texture and look of the Monstaliner, sure does beat the herculiner and the other store bought brands. I rolled it on with the supplied rollers and it spread real easy. For the entire roof with two thick coats I used a half of a gallon.

I followed the directions and made sure i didn't miss a single spot of clear coat that needed scuffing. Also instead of using the supplied scuffing pad I used some 60 grit sand paper.

Scuffed up

Had some rust by the third brake light so I painted it with Chassis Saver

Unread 06-19-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

Nice! Yea I get herculiner really cheap through work but after doing more research I found its crap. Guess I gotta suck it up and drop the $ on monstaliner. Think a gallon will do all my plastics? Front and rear bumper plus fenders, rockers, and door trim?
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #9
ANG2005kj
2005 KJ Liberty 

Their website says,"60 sq ft per gallon in 2 coats. 1 gallon kit completes any 2 door Wrangler Jeep tub or 6 foot pickup bed." I would say a gallon should do the job. They have install directions for plastics at there website..
http://www.monstaliner.com/documents...ng_Plastic.pdff

Good choice dumping the herculiner and choosing Monstaliner so much better...
Unread 06-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
jklanier84
2002 KJ Liberty 

In the immortal words of Charlie Sheen;
"WINNING!!!!"
Unread 07-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #11
jopina7807
2007 KJ Liberty 

I plasti-dipped some rims on my 98 328i and it was fine. I ended up getting new rims but after a year on them they were fine
jopina7807 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

i was planning on doing mine with monstaliner but i think im going with tintable raptor. there are no monstaliner colors that work for me. there are some extra prep steps with the plastics but doesnt seem like a big deal.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.