pinion seal replacement. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > pinion seal replacement.

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
Timer
2004 KJ Liberty 

pinion seal replacement.

Well as the title says my minion seal needs replaced. Acting more like a drain lately. Any tips or tricks to fixing this my self or should I have a professional do it?

Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #2
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

well to do it absoulty correct its a bit time consuming with bearing preload and inch pounds and what not but many people get away with just zipping the pinion nut back on after a seal change. i have done it many times on a few jeeps with just zipping it on but when i did it on my JK i either didnt put it on tight enough or did it to tight as runied my gears, $800 later i had new gears and bearings.
Unread 07-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #3
grenade187
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'm assuming you're doing the front axle as those tend to wear out quicker. Did mine recently, basically followed the procedure in the factory service manual.

First jack up the front end, remove wheels, calipers and rotors. Then remove front driveshaft, then check that the pinion rotates smoothly. Using an inch-pound torque wrench, record the torque required to rotate the front pinion. Then remove the pinion nut, preferable to use a spanner and a breaker bar, but some people use an impact hammer (air ratchet, whichever you prefer), it's just harder on the gears and bearings. Remove flange, you may need to use a puller. Then you can get at the seal, you should be able to get it out with a hammer and chisel, just don't go crazy.. you can destroy the old seal but don't damage the housing. Install new seal, reinstall companion flange. Tighten pinion nut, then use a torque wrench to rotate the pinion gear - rotating torque should be equal to what you recorded during removal plus 5 inch-pounds. If it's less than what you need, tighten the pinion nut a little more, then check again. Once you've got that sorted, reinstall front driveshaft, brakes, wheels and you're on your way. Hope this helps!
grenade187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Timer
2004 KJ Liberty 

It's the rear seal but according to the manual it's more or less the same process.
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Timer
2004 KJ Liberty 

Ty guys!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.