Performance upgrades? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Performance upgrades?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
kaleo333
2005 KJ Liberty 

Performance upgrades?

I've asked questions similar to this before, but I was just curious how you could possibly squeeze a little more out of the 3.7. I know it can't handle boost pressure from a super/turbocharger and I've done a CAI (and no one can agree if it works or not) and a magnaflow catback. Would JBA cat forward headers have any effect without damaging the picky catalytic converters/O2 sensors?
And aside from the headers, are there any other performance mods? I've heard a little about the fastman throttle bodies but I dont exactly know where I'm supposed to be looking and if it would help that much.

Separate from the performance mods, how would I go about regearing to 4.10's? such as where would I get the new gears and can any shop put them in? I know it's going to be a bit pricey...

Any information on these kind of upgrades would be great. Thanks, sorry I have so many questions for the forum..

kaleo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

From the factory, you had a cold air intake system already. The pretty add-ons are cold air in your wallet intakes, do very little if any to increase power, just make the intake side of things louder=more power obviously . The headers, doubtful they would really do a lot. You need to look at full length headers(which are not street legal on emission vehicles), or like on V8s, triple Y headers. Increasing throttlebody diameter can increase air flow and help top end power, but you end up with reduced intake velocities at lower rpms, robbing the engine of low end torque. That's the opposite of what you need! Now regearing, that will give you a performance increase, though costly for two axles. Driveline shops can do it, offroad shops(avoid tanner IMO), and a lot of independents can. The majority will want to use their parts partially to make their margin(hey they are in business to make money, not charity Obama work), and if you provide your own, expect a tail light warranty. Plenty of sources carry the gears, I'm sure jeepinbyal has them.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Headers are no longer available from what I've heard they only fit a few years and were done away with due to low sales etc
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #4
01CHEEKEE
2004 KJ Liberty 

An exhaust and nitrous are about your only options haha
01CHEEKEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
An exhaust and nitrous are about your only options haha
Exuast will do nothing but make more noise without internal engine mods and PCM tuning.NOS will only blow the engine up as it's basically like adding boost which the 3.7 can not handle with stock pistons.On another fourm a guy blew his 3.7 up with only a 50hp shot of NOS.
Unread 07-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Exuast will do nothing but make more noise without internal engine mods and PCM tuning.NOS will only blow the engine up as it's basically like adding boost which the 3.7 can not handle with stock pistons.On another fourm a guy blew his 3.7 up with only a 50hp shot of NOS.
Expensive 50hp shot..................who did that, someone on LOST?
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post
Expensive 50hp shot..................who did that, someone on LOST?
Yep ,KY Liberty.
Unread 07-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
HuglinSupreme
2007 KJ Liberty 

Coming from autocross racing, this is the age old how to get more power question. Bottomline is that if there was a cheap easy way to do it, Jeep would have done it. You want naturally aspirated power and have some cash to blow, engine swap it is. You could adjust your speedo for five miles over. At least that way you'd think you're going faster lol.
HuglinSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #9
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

That, or do a full tear down and put in some forged pistons, upgrade the valve seats, etc, and force induction. Someone was working on a 4.7L swap, and there is a member with a 302 in his. These aren't race machines, and never were meant to be. If you think we lack power, go drive an old FJ60.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:11 AM   #10
LetFreedomRing
2003 KJ Liberty 

Since you own a 2005, you can get a hypertech tuner. Advertises roughly 25 hp/tq. The few people who got one report good results with it. The WK guys especially love it.
LetFreedomRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
That, or do a full tear down and put in some forged pistons, upgrade the valve seats, etc, and force induction. Someone was working on a 4.7L swap, and there is a member with a 302 in his. These aren't race machines, and never were meant to be. If you think we lack power, go drive an old FJ60.
The 4.7 swap on Facebook was done and then sold right away ??? Wonder why?
Someone else posted they had done one but never said how or if any issues then disappeared. Seems each one thats been done disappears right after its done so no one really knows how well they work or don't
The 302 is still sitting and not finished, motor is just sitting down in the KJ
Unread 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #12
kjrenegade03
2003 KJ Liberty 

Has anyone ever thought of the srt4 engine in the liberty? I read somewhere that you can do this swap in a jk/tj. I dont know if this would actually work but hp was like 240 and with tuning easly get 300+. Of course turbo lag would play a huge role in offroad ability.
kjrenegade03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #13
DaveJKJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetFreedomRing View Post
Since you own a 2005, you can get a hypertech tuner. Advertises roughly 25 hp/tq. The few people who got one report good results with it. The WK guys especially love it.
So, the hypertech tuner only works in an 05? Haven't seen that option/mod done on a KJ. Just curious.
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
HuglinSupreme
2007 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjrenegade03 View Post
Has anyone ever thought of the srt4 engine in the liberty? I read somewhere that you can do this swap in a jk/tj. I dont know if this would actually work but hp was like 240 and with tuning easly get 300+. Of course turbo lag would play a huge role in offroad ability.
You would almost never even use the turbo. The only fi that would make sense is a supercharger. I don't know much about that srt 4 motor except it is similar to an evo engine. The internals should be able to handle the sc though. Either way this sounds like so much work, no amount of power gains would even outweigh the hassle of making it work.
HuglinSupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #15
LetFreedomRing
2003 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJKJ View Post
So, the hypertech tuner only works in an 05? Haven't seen that option/mod done on a KJ. Just curious.
I believe it works on years 04-10. You'll have to check their website to make sure though.

www.hypertech.com
LetFreedomRing is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.