Part Time 4x4 Light On - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-09-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
CarolinaKJ

Part Time 4x4 Light On

Hello fellow Jeepers,

This is my first post on your board. GREAT SITE! Came across it in a web search for jeep info/help. I have a question.

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport with the 3.7L, 4x4. It doesn't see any trail off-roading, but it does see seasonal (winter/snow) all wheel drive use. Over the holidays last month, I engaged the 4wd HI at about 15 mph while going up a hill as I have several times the previous 3 winters, and disengaged it back to 2wd HI going down the other side at about 15 mph. Nothing different than normal. However, this time, the PART TIME light remained on, although it is in 2wd HI. When I engage the 4wd HI, the PART TIME light goes off, and the 4wd is engaged.
The handle does not seem to be as far down as before when in the 2wd HI position, however I have driven close to 1k miles since this has begun.

I have tried shifting in to all positions trying to fix the problem, but with no luck.
All positions work fine, but I don't like seeing the PART TIME light on 24/7.

I bought the vehicle new in 9/03 will 11 miles on it, and it now has 98K miles on it, all most all of it highway. Other than a front right window lift motor, swith, and wiring going out, a left rear brake caliper freezing up, (both covered by Warranty) I have had no problems and do the maint. myself.

So my question is Is this common? What is the cause (electrical, mechanical, linkage, fluid ??? and how to fix it?
BTW, I have the 42RLE trans.

Thanks in advance for your response,
CarolinaKJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Fouros
2004 KJ Liberty 

it will be the transfer case position indicator switch , its situated at the top of your t/fer case the pin has probably become stuck
post #3 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 AM
c2photog
2003 KJ Liberty 

Not only is my part time light acting the same way but my speedometer is malfunctioning (always moving up and down) and my gas mileage has decreased to a miserable 11.5 mi / gallon--could these malfunctions influence such poor gas mileage?

post #4 of 9 Old 02-15-2011, 01:19 PM
01CHEEKEE
1995 ZJ 

no, the switch is simply that...a switch...happened to us a day after we bought it...people drive around w/ them on if they don't care or want to pay to have it fixed...as for the gas mileage, that is really horrendous...check your math first, then maybe your plugs? they might be fouled up or out of gap...
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2011, 08:54 AM
c2photog
2003 KJ Liberty 

My plugs were just replaced. New tires. Throttle body cleaning. And my math is verified by the on-board computer.I'm about to break down and go to the Jeep Dealer (whose service dept I do not really like). None of the recent services has helped my gas mileage. Another service dept suggested the engine may run "rich" d/t the speedometer malfunction....???? Any other suggestions?
post #6 of 9 Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM
01CHEEKEE
1995 ZJ 

Fuel filter?
post #7 of 9 Old 02-16-2011, 09:25 PM
c2photog
2003 KJ Liberty 

Good question on the fuel filter...I have no idea.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 AM
Cards81fan

2014 KL Cherokee 

The fuel filter is not regularly serviceable in a gas model, I believe. Isn't it in/at the tank on the Liberty?

I've never gone looking for mine.

Of course, at 8 years old, it could well need serviced.

Mindset, skillset, toolset - in that order!
post #9 of 9 Old 02-21-2011, 07:57 PM
d5332
2002 KJ Liberty 

Can out of gap plugs trigger the O2 sensors?

I replaced two sensors and they still occasionally come back on...I put platinum plugs which indicated that they did not need to be measured for gap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01CHEEKEE View Post
no, the switch is simply that...a switch...happened to us a day after we bought it...people drive around w/ them on if they don't care or want to pay to have it fixed...as for the gas mileage, that is really horrendous...check your math first, then maybe your plugs? they might be fouled up or out of gap...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.