P2096 code - now what should be replaced? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > P2096 code - now what should be replaced?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #1
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

P2096 code - now what should be replaced?

OK I got a code P2096 thrown today now the question is what is causing it?
2005 Liberty 3.7L Sport
1.This happened after I filled my tank
2. No exhaust leak I can hear
3. 146,000k+ on the clock...
4. O2 sensors have never been changed (notice gas mileage drop lately)
5. 50k on spark plugs (+4's)

Ideas please?

Mark

Turbobearcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbobearcat View Post
OK I got a code P2096 thrown today now the question is what is causing it?
2005 Liberty 3.7L Sport
1.This happened after I filled my tank
May not be related
2. No exhaust leak I can hear
Sometimes, it only takes a very small leak to scavenge air into the exhaust pre-cat and trip this code
3. 146,000k+ on the clock...
4. O2 sensors have never been changed (notice gas mileage drop lately)
This is likely your culprit, old sensors have degraded, but could also be another problem, as the code looks to be post catalyst fuel trim at lower limit
5. 50k on spark plugs (+4's)
Ick, seen plenty of running issues on multiple engines with these. They are purely a gimmick on a automotive piston engine. Bet you got them at AZ, and they recommended them!

Ideas please?

Mark
You may really have a lean fuel trim issue, faulty cat, or just bad oxygen sensors. They get contaminated, especially over time, and will read way off. If you do replace them, whatever you do, do not, and I repeat, do not waste your time and money on the cheapo bosch sensors found at AZ, and a few other outlets. At least go for NTK, or better yet, go OE from the dealer, not oe equivelent, etc. Lots of issues, very well known with poor performance with aftermarket bosch sensors, especially on chryslers. Naaw, you wont find many posted on forums like this, but you will on professional tech forums that arent accessible even with google-fu.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
You may really have a lean fuel trim issue, faulty cat, or just bad oxygen sensors. They get contaminated, especially over time, and will read way off. If you do replace them, whatever you do, do not, and I repeat, do not waste your time and money on the cheapo bosch sensors found at AZ, and a few other outlets. At least go for NTK, or better yet, go OE from the dealer, not oe equivelent, etc. Lots of issues, very well known with poor performance with aftermarket bosch sensors, especially on chryslers. Naaw, you wont find many posted on forums like this, but you will on professional tech forums that arent accessible even with google-fu.
I buy all must stuff at Advanced Auto...

The plugs I bought to try and 50k+ miles later they are going strong..until I get another code for the plugs I will stay with the +4's.. NTK is a good brand so I guess that is what I need to get..
Unread 01-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

How do you know the plugs are going strong?
50,000 miles I would be on my 2 nd set of good plugs like Champions or Autolites
You say you are getting poor fuel mileage which could be the plugs

Autozone / Advanced Auto etc are good places to buy wax and air freshners but it pretty much ends there.
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Yep, what tomm said
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

I'd go to the dealer for any sensors after some fun with an oil pressure unit. O2 sensors are to important to mess with to save a few bucks.
02blue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hey everybody - I replaced the front O2 with NTK sensors and everything is back to running sweet again, oddly enough with more pickup and I was showing 18.5mpg in town... I will be on the highway in the morning so I can't wait to see how much a rebound it has taken.. And no I will continue using the +4's until I get 60k which they are serving their purpose - less changes. But right now I am a happy camper.
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

I will replace the down stream sensors this weekend... not hard to remove but where in the hell goes the right rear wiring go?
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
Turbobearcat
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
How do you know the plugs are going strong?
50,000 miles I would be on my 2 nd set of good plugs like Champions or Autolites
You say you are getting poor fuel mileage which could be the plugs

Autozone / Advanced Auto etc are good places to buy wax and air freshners but it pretty much ends there.
Tom

I have noticed since Mid- Dec that the mileage fell off by 5-8 MPG..and I know why- winter grade gas!!!! it never fails that the Jeep or other cars see worse GM during the winter months- cold or not...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.