P0038 Code? Need help Resolving.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > P0038 Code? Need help Resolving..

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #1
SilverGT
2004 KJ Liberty 

Where is the O2 sensor fuse!? P0038 Code? Need help Resolving..

I just replaced the o2 sensor on my liberty the one that was throwing a P0137 Code..after installing the sensor i disconnected the battery for a reset of the check engine light. it went away for 20miles then came back but there is no codes to be pulled from the check engine light when i try the on/off/on/off/on method.

From what i have been reading it might be a resistor inside the ecu or a o2 sensor fuse...
Where is the o2 sensor fuse located? can anyone give me some insight.

Last edited by SilverGT; 09-29-2009 at 07:20 AM..
SilverGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

You still have a problem with you O2 sensor curcuit.PO038=HO2S Heater Curcuit High Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 2.I would look for a broken or burnt wire.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:58 AM   #3
SilverGT
2004 KJ Liberty 

Yea rich. Its the weirdest thing. The check engine light was on, I used a scantron. Tired to pull the code, the scantron said PASS with no code but check engine light was still on.

So I erase the code, then 20miles later the check engine light came back on with still no code....I'm stumped.
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #4
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

That is strange,the computer should pick that up with the CEL on.You did have that PO038,so I would still double check the wiring.
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
SilverGT
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
That is strange,the computer should pick that up with the CEL on.You did have that PO038,so I would still double check the wiring.
yea its the weirdest thing...i will check the wiring tonight but do you happen to know where the fuse is for this o2 sensor is? someone said there was a o2 sensor fuse somewhere.

upon further exam, i noticed the old o2 sensor had the wire zip tied to a brake line..looks like previous o2 sensor shorted itself on the exhaust at one point in its lifetime.
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

I have a 08KK,and my manual shows no fuse for O2s.I think you found your problem.Good Luck,and let us know.
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
SilverGT
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
I have a 08KK,and my manual shows no fuse for O2s.I think you found your problem.Good Luck,and let us know.
this was before I replaced that old 02 sensor with a new one. So I'm thinking the ecu is bad if there is no fuses for the o2 sensor.

When it shorted itself did it short out the ecu also?.
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Not sure about ECU.I would find the problem,clear the computer,and see if the code comes back.
Unread 09-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #9
SilverGT
2004 KJ Liberty 

I just got it scanned and the code P0420 came up. im assuming its the cat gone bad? should i put a non-fouler in and call it a done deal?
Unread 09-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #10
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

No.If you have a bad cat,its going to plug up your exhaust,and you wont have any power,second,you in NY and wont pass inspection.You cant have any code for inspection.
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
SilverGT
2004 KJ Liberty 

its doesn seem to have power lost... and the p0137 code went away now it has the p0420 code. does it still mean the cat is no good? how can i check to see if the cat is plugged?
Unread 09-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #12
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

You can check them with a tempertaure sensor gun.Ive heard most muffler shops have a free check.The O2 sensor must have been bad for awhile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.