Oxygen Sensors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Oxygen Sensors?

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Reply
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
403Lumberg
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 38
Oxygen Sensors?

My Jeeps at 180 000km (111846 Miles) I was thinking about changing the oxygen sensors. What do you guys think, way over due? Change them all? or is there a specific one that will give the most bang for the buck?

I'm getting terrible fuel mileage, even for a Jeep! I get around 400km (248 Miles) to a tank, even if 100% highway. Easy on the peddle, 90% of the time, haha. Tires inflated on road, synthetic oil changes at 5000km or less, clean filter(K&N Cold air), no exta weight, new plugs last 6 months, new PCV valve. What else can I do, any ideas?



403Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,142
Your range sounds about normal for this time of year.If you had a O2 sensor issue your check engine light would be on but if you want to change them only get NTK or Denso O2 sensors,do not install bosch O2's.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
DaveJKJ
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: stuck in the mud again
Posts: 1,085
Crappy winter gas and weather. Mine is worse too. If your 02 sensors were bad and causing problems you would be throwing 02 sensor codes and you have 4 of them. 2 before the cats and 2 after. I would leave them alone if no codes. The ones before the cats might affect gas mileage more I think if there is an open loop/closed loop problem and then it would be throwing sensor codes.
__________________
War Veterans Jeep Group #31
Black Jeep Society #217
DaveJKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
403Lumberg
Registered User
2003 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 38
Thanks for the input/info guys. I guess I'll be waiting to replace them. At 180000km I'm doing alot of replacing, just trying to stay on top of things, maybe even get ahead! (if thats even possible) By this time next year I'll have a brand new Jeep built!! lol
403Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 403Lumberg View Post
Thanks for the input/info guys. I guess I'll be waiting to replace them. At 180000km I'm doing alot of replacing, just trying to stay on top of things, maybe even get ahead! (if thats even possible) By this time next year I'll have a brand new Jeep built!! lol
Trust me it's never ending,besides the body(well most of it) I just have the stock engine and trans left but that will change soon enough.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
ifelovr
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 17
I live in Jax Fl and with my 02' Lib I'm barely hitting the 200 mile mark for a FULL (up to the neck) tank of gas. I've changed about everything but the O2's only because I have'nt popped any codes. I've had just heard they can go bad but not to the point of sending a code. I'm playing it safe and just ordered them both from
car-stuff.com at a pretty good price.
ifelovr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifelovr View Post
I live in Jax Fl and with my 02' Lib I'm barely hitting the 200 mile mark for a FULL (up to the neck) tank of gas. I've changed about everything but the O2's only because I have'nt popped any codes. I've had just heard they can go bad but not to the point of sending a code. I'm playing it safe and just ordered them both from
car-stuff.com at a pretty good price.
You have four O2 sensors,you'll need the other two also.Bad O2 sensors always throw a code,even lazy O2 sensors throws codes.Whatever you do do not put bosch O2 sensors in,your mpg's will really go down hill.You filling to the very top could be your main mpg problem.It's alright to slightly top off to the next dollar amount but you should never fill to the very top of the fill tube.This allows to much raw gas to enter into the EVAP system which does effect mpg's.Can take months to get all that raw gas out of the evap system,faster way is to replace the canister but that is big $$$.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Lodator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jax fl
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Your range sounds about normal for this time of year.If you had a O2 sensor issue your check engine light would be on but if you want to change them only get NTK or Denso O2 sensors,do not install bosch O2's.
I've had zero problem with my bosch sensors
Lodator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodator View Post
I've had zero problem with my bosch sensors
Or you saw zero change from old, worn out, contaminated sensors, to the new and poorly performing one size fits all bosch sensors, that a chinaman puts pigtails on to claim its direct fit? Question is, how much is the pcm compensating for those bosch sensors, that you will not feel without using a scan tool? How long before it cant compensate anymore, and starts throwing codes?
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Lodator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jax fl
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
How long before it cant compensate anymore, and starts throwing codes?
Can't answer that for you, but if I haven't seen any problems and my CEL went away I can't really complain. If I see problems the simple solution is to replace with NTK's right? So I'll just experiment with the Bosch's for now, I've run them narrow/wide band on my 2000 VW VR6T and had zero problems with them. Bosch is a good brand, just because it doesn't say MADE IN 'MURRIIICAAAAA on it doesn't mean a "chinaman" (not very politically correct now is it?) put them together.

I'll wait until the CEL comes back. Thank you for the input though?
Lodator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodator View Post
Can't answer that for you, but if I haven't seen any problems and my CEL went away I can't really complain. If I see problems the simple solution is to replace with NTK's right? So I'll just experiment with the Bosch's for now, I've run them narrow/wide band on my 2000 VW VR6T and had zero problems with them. Bosch is a good brand, just because it doesn't say MADE IN 'MURRIIICAAAAA on it doesn't mean a "chinaman" (not very politically correct now is it?) put them together.

I'll wait until the CEL comes back. Thank you for the input though?
Not saying bosch O2's are bad,they work great in other vehicles but not so great in Chryslers.They tend to not switch fast enough for Chrysler PCM's.It's a known fact by any tech that has been turning wrenchs for a few years.
__________________
'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
Lodator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Jax fl
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Not saying bosch O2's are bad,they work great in other vehicles but not so great in Chryslers.They tend to not switch fast enough for Chrysler PCM's.It's a known fact by any tech that has been turning wrenchs for a few years.
Yea all around they are good sensors. Of course since I've used Bosch my whole life I went with them. If it comes down to the Jeep running a little crappier or different codes get thrown, then I'll switch them out. The Bosch's were the only thing readily available to me.
Lodator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 2,426
Bosch used to be a benchmark standard, now, not so much. On certain vehicles, that they make the oe parts for, they are great. On other vehicles, their rendition of the part tends to be subpar. Just as tjkj said, they are notorious for slow switching on chryslers especially, but also on other vehicle makes as well. Ive also ran into the issue while working on VWs, that the bosch parts sold at the parts stores, are not the same level of quality as the bosch parts at the VW dealership, MAF sensors, and their air/fuel sensors come to mind.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.