Overheating Problems Please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Overheating Problems Please help!

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
ashjeep

Overheating Problems Please help!

I have recently got a jeep liberty 3.7l v6. The car runs fine and heats up as normal. The temp gauge stays at mid temperature until I hit speeds of 40+ mph. It then climbs to approx 3 quarters and higher the faster I go.
I pulled over and the coolant fluid was bubbling over spilling loads of coolant out of the overflow and all over the back of the engine bay.
Is there one fan I should check or two? is there a way of determining whether perhaps the fan is not working? The pipes at the top of the fan in front of the radiator do become hot after running for a while which I have been led to believe means the temp valve is not stuck shut?
I know the fan relay units are not the best design but not 100% its the fan.

Any ideas or tests I can do with the fan, rad, coolant system or relay would be greatly appreciated. I am no mechanic but would rather try to diagnose the problem and pay for it to be fixed rather than continue to pay to diagnose faults at a garage.

Many Thanks

Ashley

ashjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I actually had a very similar issue juat coty driving it was fine got on the highway and it hit the 3/4 mark pulled over it cooled right down. I ended up finding the propeller on the water pump was cracked and free spinning. New pump problem fixed
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Leeann_KJ
2005 KJ Liberty 

It's not the fan. The fan is designed to help cooling under 30 mph. Anything over that and the air moving through the rad is plenty.

Either your rad is clogged or your water pump has failed.
Leeann_KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
wingit

Not the fan it's for slow driving. I would check the water pump.

[URL=http://www.fuelly.com/driver/wingit/wrangler][IMG]http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/204189.png[/IMG][/URL]
wingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

and thermostat as well

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.