Overheating cooling system, some transfluid spewed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Overheating cooling system, some transfluid spewed

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 07-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #1
TomSawyer
2002 KJ Liberty 

Overheating cooling system, some transfluid spewed

So last night on the way home it overheated (instead of 50% temp reading it got up tp 70-75% still outside the redzone though) I figure it was upwards of 200-210 or so if mid point 180 and red is 230, So I noted a little dripping trans fluid as a side show but let it cool, refilled the coolant to level (it was low 1 gallon) and cycled it with heater on and monitored it for a while and everything seems to be fine now.

My concern, with the heat and expansion do you thing I permenantely damaged a tranny cooler line or seal in the cooling system or was this just an expansion issue that *temporarily* resulted from the excessive heat?

No fluid is leaking now, but I will continue close observations.. of course.

Your thoughts.

TomSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Your temp gauge is a dumby gauge.At the halfway mark the coolant temp is between 178 degrees and 230 degrees,at the 3/4 mark the coolant is between 231 degrees and 259 degrees,and at full hot(red zone) the coolant is above 260 degrees.The t-stat is a 195 degree t-stat which start to open at 195 degrees and does not fully open till 218 degrees.The electric cooling fan does not turn on till 219 degrees(+/- a 2 degrees) and if you have the mechanical fan also that clutch does not fully lock till 230 degrees.

I'd be finding the sourse of the overheat and since you have a '02 with the in-radiator trans cooler you could have cracked the side tank where the cooler passes through.It be checking the trans fluid to see if it looks like a strayberry milkshake.The trans cooler and/or radiator could have taken a dump on you and coolant in the trans is very bad.Also with a in-radiator trans cooler if the engine overheats that means the trans fluid got to hot also so a trans flush is needed also as heat kills ATF.
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
TomSawyer
2002 KJ Liberty 

good info, thanks, the trans fluid looks fine. I'll get it to the shop and have my mechanic scope it all out!
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
TomSawyer
2002 KJ Liberty 

now I'm told the coolant can be red, not tranny fluid at all but red coolant, this from my wife and mgr of a national chain autoparts store.
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post
now I'm told the coolant can be red, not tranny fluid at all but red coolant, this from my wife and mgr of a national chain autoparts store.
The correct coolant,from the factory,is either pinkish or orange color,and other known correct HOAT coolant colors are yellow to very light yellow.If it's red you got dexcool in there which is the wrong coolant and will damage your cooling system.Since your wife works at a chain autoparts store I bet you have the wrong coolant in there and now have major sludge buildup inside the cooling system or that dexcool has eaten the waterpump impeller or some of it at least.
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
TomSawyer
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
The correct coolant,from the factory,is either pinkish or orange color,and other known correct HOAT coolant colors are yellow to very light yellow.If it's red you got dexcool in there which is the wrong coolant and will damage your cooling system.Since your wife works at a chain autoparts store I bet you have the wrong coolant in there and now have major sludge buildup inside the cooling system or that dexcool has eaten the waterpump impeller or some of it at least.
that's good info... scary, but we'll see.
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
TomSawyer
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
wait, it is propably pink
Unread 07-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSawyer View Post
wait, it is propably pink
Can look that way but it is dyed orange from teh factory.

But why do you still have the original coolant in the system in the 1st place? You should have had it flushed out at least twice by now since it's over 11 years old.
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
TomSawyer
2002 KJ Liberty 

She's fine, I've drove her around and around, many miles, no leaks, nothin'. The tranny fluid is fine, right on level and condition both hot and cold.

I checked all the fluid levels when I bought it a couple months ago, but the discoloration of the filler/resevoir/overflow fooled me into thinking there was fluid in there by sight, I should have dropped a probe or something in there. But everything is fine, I'll keep monitoring it closely for a while now though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.