Overheated 2004 v6 3.7 Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Overheated 2004 v6 3.7 Liberty

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 06-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Overheated 2004 v6 3.7 Liberty

I know there are a lot of threads dealing with overheating but most of them seem to deal with 03 and earlier. Any ideas for my poor 04 would be welcomed. Here's the scoop so far.

Last June (2011) my Jeep started overheating. I changed out the thermostat and that didn't do anything. I then got a new fan (http://goo.gl/a5E94) and everything got better. Fast forward to this June (2012) and the overheating has once again begun.

I pulled the Jeep into my garage to make sure the fan worked, and it did. I inspected the wiring connection between the Jeep and the fan. Both seemed to be in excellent shape. No signs of melting.

No signs of any kind of fluid on the ground.

I pulled the oil dipstick and there was no indication of water in the oil.

I unscrewed the oil filler cap and there were no signs of water or anything else wrong within the fill tube.

No signs of oil in the coolant overflow reservoir.

Coolant level in reservoir is full

What I've done so far:
2011 Replacements
thermostat and filled with new 50/50 mix coolant
fan

2012 Replacements
coolant overflow reservoir cap
blower relay
radiator hi relay
radiator lo relay
fuse #2 40amp

I was going to replace the coolant temp sensor, but I can't seem to get the slip jacket and connector off of the old one.

I smelled what seemed like oil burning, but that was about 3 months ago and haven't smelled it since.

I didn't see any indication of oil leaks under the Jeep or near the cylinder heads.

I thought about just going to a shop and getting the current coolant flushed and putting new coolant in just to rule that out. I'm trying to figure this out without having to go to a mechanic (money very tight these days) but I'm not sure what else to check/do.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Unread 06-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

How is the coolant level? If low you have a leak,very common on KJ's to have a coolant leak with no fluid on the ground and the radiator side tank is the most common leaker.

Other issues can be the coolant used can plug up the system and/or eat the water pump impeller.Only HOAT coolant is to be used in your system and the only HOAT coolants out there are the MOPAR stuff,Ford's Premium Gold coolant,and Zerex GO5.
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Skydive_Renee

I have an 03 Liberty Renegade, and I've never had any issues with it overheating other than when the radiator had a small leak. I temporarily fixed it with JB weld until I can replace the radiator.
Skydive_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Does it overheat on the highway, or only when idling or in town driving? If you purchased an aftermarket fan, there have been issues with their quality control, and melted connectors.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002
How is the coolant level? If low you have a leak,very common on KJ's to have a coolant leak with no fluid on the ground and the radiator side tank is the most common leaker.

Other issues can be the coolant used can plug up the system and/or eat the water pump impeller.Only HOAT coolant is to be used in your system and the only HOAT coolants out there are the MOPAR stuff,Ford's Premium Gold coolant,and Zerex GO5.
Coolant level appears to be fine. Reserve tank is right where it should be.

The coolant I used was Zerex with 50/50 water mix.
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive_Renee
I have an 03 Liberty Renegade, and I've never had any issues with it overheating other than when the radiator had a small leak. I temporarily fixed it with JB weld until I can replace the radiator.
I looked at the radiator, especially where leaks have been reported, and can't seem to find one. If its there it's a pinhole leak that I cant see. I haven't seen any evidence of coolant anywhere on the radiator such as dried liquid marks or splashes either.
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok
Does it overheat on the highway, or only when idling or in town driving? If you purchased an aftermarket fan, there have been issues with their quality control, and melted connectors.
As long as I'm moving along on the highway I typically don't have any problems. It's when I slow down, or stop, that the temp starts to spike. Normally I'd say thats the fan but every time I test to see if the fan works by running the AC on I can see it going and hear it click on. Perhaps I should order another fan that I can return if it turns out that it doesn't fix the issue?
Unread 06-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sounds like a lack of airflow thru the radiator. Need to see, when it gets hot, with the a/c off, is the fan running or not? That's the million dollar question. Duplicate the symptom, then see if the fan is working. My guess is, it isn't working properly 100% of the time, you just need to catch it.
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok
Sounds like a lack of airflow thru the radiator. Need to see, when it gets hot, with the a/c off, is the fan running or not? That's the million dollar question. Duplicate the symptom, then see if the fan is working. My guess is, it isn't working properly 100% of the time, you just need to catch it.
Well on my way to work I overheated on the highway. Temp gauge tacked. Was able to get into a parking lot. Opened hood and coolant was bubbling in the reservoir tank with some coolant spilling out.

I could hear the coolant bubbling in the hose that connects to the top of the radiator so I know at a minimum there's coolant getting into it. Just unsure what's happening after that.

Gonna crank her up in a bit after she's cooled down some and see if fan will activate without AC on.
Unread 06-22-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Not sure if this will work but here's a link to what I saw when I opened the hood.
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlux View Post
Well on my way to work I overheated on the highway. Temp gauge tacked. Was able to get into a parking lot. Opened hood and coolant was bubbling in the reservoir tank with some coolant spilling out.

I could hear the coolant bubbling in the hose that connects to the top of the radiator so I know at a minimum there's coolant getting into it. Just unsure what's happening after that.

Gonna crank her up in a bit after she's cooled down some and see if fan will activate without AC on.
Kind of a silly question, but did you look to see if the fan was running when you popped the hood this time? This is exactly when you need to be looking, not when its cooled down, etc.
Unread 06-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Kind of a silly question, but did you look to see if the fan was running when you popped the hood this time? This is exactly when you need to be looking, not when its cooled down, etc.
Not a silly question at all. It's usually the "silly" or "easy" stuff that causes this stuff to happen

Actually, I did not pop the hood and look to see if the fan was going only b/c I was lucky to just get into a parking lot and get it shut down. The video I shot was about 3-4 minutes after the Jeep had already been turned off.

That said, after I got her home and let her cool down, I took her out for a spin with temp set to heat. Everything was fine after 10 minutes so I turned the AC to cool to replicate the overheat. Sure enough the temp started to get hot. I let her get in between the half way point and H, pulled her in the garage, popped the hood, and saw that the fan was indeed engaged.

Taking it to a shop this morning to get her flushed. Usually I drain her on my own but she hasn't been flushed in about 4 years (Yes, I know it's recommended at 3 )

Last edited by dlux; 06-23-2012 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: spelling
dlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

After an adventurous morning trying to find a shop that's
1) open on Saturday
2) knows what the heck HOAT coolant is
I have discovered that it's impossible to find both! I went ahead and made an appointment with the Jeep dealership for Monday. She needed a coolant flush anyway and at least if there's any additional issues they can point them out to me and then I can fix them.

One thing I am curious about is that I'm in the Texas heat (Houston) and perhaps the fan I bought last year has decreased in production just enough to where it doesn't spin fast enough to keep up with the cooling needs. It was, after all, an after market fan......
Unread 06-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #14
seadog4242

Just a suggestion, but their is a possibility your lower radiator hose might be collapsing when your running down the road, and thus restricting the coolant flow. Pop the hood, and rev the engine up to around 3 grand and keep an eye on the lower hose to see if the water pump is sucking the lower hose closed. Could be a simple fix. Good luck,
seadog4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #15
dlux
2011 KK Liberty 

Just got word back from the dealership. They want to remove the heads as they are pretty sure it's cracked. Of course the removal and reassembly of what they remove is $1,700, and if it's indeed what they think it is (and if I'm honest with myself it's what I think too) it'll be around 3k for everything.

So my next question, is that about the right cost or is it worth investigating a local repair shop? I know the heads will have to be machined if they are indeed cracked. Not even sure if it's worth repairing or just using the kj as trade bait. They do have an 05 renegade V6 on the lot. Thoughts???

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.