Oil pan gasket... it's a major job, right? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Oil pan gasket... it's a major job, right?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 04-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Oil pan gasket... it's a major job, right?

I've got a leaky oil pan gasket. Replacing it means pulling the whole engine, right? As in, taking it right out of the engine bay? Is there really no alternative?

EDIT - just found the FSM and read the procedure. So you have to raise (not remove) the engine, supporting it from above, but drop the front axle? Ouch. I think I'm just going to keep checking the oil level more regularly and refilling as necessary...

On the plus side, the FSM says that the engine mounts can be replaced using a block of wood and a jack under the oil pan to raise the engine. That's a bonus, since Haynes says that you need to support the engine from above (which I can't do - all my wrenching happens in the parking lot of my apartment building and I have nowhere to store an engine crane).

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

The problem when replacing the oil pan gasket is the removal of the oil pickup. The gasket and windage tray are one unit, and the oil pickup AND the windage tray are held in place with two bolts. There is a third bolt that holds the oil pickup tube to the oil pump - and THAT is the bolt that would be extremely difficult to get to without removing the engine or the front diff. Even with the diff removed I'd wonder about the ability to get around the crossmember.

Here's a pic for reference. You can see the two bolts holding the pickup tube and windage tray in the center of the pic; the bolt holding the pickup to the oil pump is at the far right at the base of the tube. Note that this pic was taken with the front timing cover off the engine so much easier to see.

Keep a bottle of oil handy or get some UltraBlack RTV and spread around the leaking area. Wait to replace the gasket till you replace the engine.

Bob
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Cheers Bob. Yeah, it's just way too much hassle to bother with right now, and I don't have the facilities to do it anyway given that it requires supporting the engine from above. If the leak gets significantly worse I may have to rethink.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.