Oil dripping on the exhaust causing a nasty smell. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Oil dripping on the exhaust causing a nasty smell.

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
robodiaz

Oil dripping on the exhaust causing a nasty smell.

So a while ago I was smelling fumes in the cabin. At certain angles I could see smoke sometimes on the passenger side.

I looked at the fuel lines and hoses and couldn't find anything. I did notice a small oil drip on the ground and noticed oil marks around the exhaust especially where the catalytic converter connects. Here's a pic.

I've tried to feel around up there but I can't feel any holes or anything. I'm not very knowledgable about cars other then I can follow instructions pretty well. But what should be my next step to find where the oil is leaking from?

I also noticed alot of oil near the electrical plugs on the cat.

Any help or speculations are really really appreciated. Thanks!

20130421_144919-arrow.jpg   20130420_224844.jpg  
robodiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
TwoBobsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

The valve cover gaskets are leaking - a common issue with the 3.7L engine with the stamped steel valve covers. The leak is typically at the lower, rearmost bolt location - which is right above the cats.

The gasket replacement isn't technically but does require a decent assortment of tools and some mechanical experience. I got a quote from my local dealer for the passenger side (the more difficult side) just for giggles and they wanted $220! An independent shop I'm sure would charge less.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
- 3.7L, 42RLE, 4.10's, 4X Guard Trans skid, Factory Engine, T-case, Tank skids, Modded BoulderBars sliders, OME 927/948, Bilsteins, JBA A-Arms & 1/4" top plate, 1 extra rear iso/side, Moabs with Firestone Destination AT's 255/70-16
TwoBobsKJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
robodiaz

Awesome. Thanks Bob for the info!
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
robodiaz

The first quote I got from a dealership was a little over $300. I'm going to call a couple of other local/trusted shops and see what they say but I might try it out myself.

I was reading this writeup on changing the valve cover gaskets.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/pas...-gasket-47815/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.