For off-road, what stock parts do I need to swap out on my 2005 Liberty Renegade? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > For off-road, what stock parts do I need to swap out on my 2005 Liberty Renegade?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #16
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

There are hundreds of people who lift and wheel their KJs without going to a SFA. Now granted doing a SFA is the ultimate thing to do, and works great but for a typical DD do a OME lift/ decent set of tires and be done
You'll be able to go most anywhere you want off road and on road it will handle and ride much better than stock

Unread 06-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolte View Post
Thanks 95BadBoy thats exactly what I was looking for!

tommudd that rig is a beast.
So if the IFS works fine then why do a lot of people say you need to replace it?
When poeple decide they must have 33" or 35" tires on there KJ is is pretty much needed by then.

Yes I did a SFA swap on mine but I went as far as I could go with IFS,wheeled the snot out of it and only ever broke one CV axle.The only reason I did a SFA swap was to able to gear correctly for tire size,with that thought I had a little fun along the way.I was lucky enough to have a good fab guy locally(Rock Lizard) that I help out all the time so my KJ was the test bed for the SFA kit,currently doing a 2nd SFA swap on another KJ right now.Sad thing is due to faminly issues forcing me to work to much has kept me from wheeling the beast yet after the SFA swap.
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #18
socks
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
This is the first Jeep I have ever owned. I bought a Jeep because I am moving to Maine, and I was looking for something that would be able to handle the annual 70+ in. of snow in Maine.
Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what should do with my Liberty to make it trail-ready; all I can find on the web are ways to make it look like it can go off-road, but not actually take it off-road, which is ridiculous.

Thanks
-Ty
I don't know why you say that?
There are plenty of excellent products on the market to improve a KJ!

Quote:
Another question, can I even do a lift with my fake front axes as it is, or would I need to do a SAS first?
Fake axles?
X2 For what Tom and TJ said.
You can also replace the front Dana 30 A differential with a steel unit
from Jeepin By Al. Then you can run even lower ring and pinion gear sets
and go up in tire sizes. (Next year for our Rig.)

Did you look at the Fathers Day Wheelin' Weekend photo's I posted?

We did that with open diff's!
I haven't had the chance to install the ARB Air Lockers and 4:10
gears that are sitting here right in front of me!
Wish I had, probably wouldn't of gotten stuck so many times!
socks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
When poeple decide they must have 33" or 35" tires on there KJ is is pretty much needed by then.

Yes I did a SFA swap on mine but I went as far as I could go with IFS,wheeled the snot out of it and only ever broke one CV axle.The only reason I did a SFA swap was to able to gear correctly for tire size,with that thought I had a little fun along the way.I was lucky enough to have a good fab guy locally(Rock Lizard) that I help out all the time so my KJ was the test bed for the SFA kit,currently doing a 2nd SFA swap on another KJ right now.Sad thing is due to faminly issues forcing me to work to much has kept me from wheeling the beast yet after the SFA swap.
Rock Lizzard is epic. Like I said, I just started with Jeeps, and I was going to buy my front bumper from Rock lizzard. Too bad he had to go out of business, but it is what it is.
Now I'm looking at Rusty's for a custom grill guard/winch mount, but they haven't gotten back to me with an estimate yet. I looking for a pre-runner style with a striker.
tbolte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2011, 04:15 PM   #20
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by socks View Post
I don't know why you say that?
There are plenty of excellent products on the market to improve a KJ!
Oh don't get me wrong I know there are, they are just really well hidden. Most of the libertys I have seen here in Iowa are all chromed out or lowered

Quote:
Originally Posted by socks View Post
Fake axles?
X2 For what Tom and TJ said.
You can also replace the front Dana 30 A differential with a steel unit
from Jeepin By Al. Then you can run even lower ring and pinion gear sets
and go up in tire sizes. (Next year for our Rig.)

Yepp Slowly but surely I'm working on a pretty small budget. Right now I'm just trying to differentiate myself from all of the college girls and soccer moms driving around in libertys.

Quote:

Did you look at the Fathers Day Wheelin' Weekend photo's I posted?
We did that with open diff's!
Thats crazy! haha well that makes me trust my liberty even more than before! Still want to switch that open dif out though :/

Last edited by tbolte; 06-25-2011 at 11:27 PM..
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #21
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Rock Lizzard is epic. Like I said, I just started with Jeeps, and I was going to buy my front bumper from Rock lizzard. Too bad he had to go out of business, but it is what it is.
Now I'm looking at Rusty's for a custom grill guard/winch mount, but they haven't gotten back to me with an estimate yet. I looking for a pre-runner style with a striker.

went out of business ? news to me
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #22
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
went out of business ? news to me
Me too.He's back up and running,slowly getting back orders filled.The rear bumpers finally came in so those will be going together so might be a little hard to get a hold of him due to the high work load at the moment.
Unread 06-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #23
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
Me too.He's back up and running,slowly getting back orders filled.The rear bumpers finally came in so those will be going together so might be a little hard to get a hold of him due to the high work load at the moment.
Well a month backI found a post he left on lost about how he just can't keep puting so much time into it. It may have been from a while ago though. If he is indeed back up and running I'll have to give him a ring.

Has anyone heard anything bad about Rusty's offroad? JW
Unread 06-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #24
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Look at the date when he posted that, its been a while back for sure
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #25
sloan74
2013 JK Wrangler 

for snow, x2 tires are most important. I would look into a 2" lift and a set of nice 31" AT tires. keep it simple if your only looking for something to handle snow.
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 01:32 AM   #26
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloan74 View Post
for snow, x2 tires are most important. I would look into a 2" lift and a set of nice 31" AT tires. keep it simple if your only looking for something to handle snow.
Well thats what I was looking at originally, but you know how these projects play out

Tags
aftermarket , liberty , off road , stock , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.