For off-road, what stock parts do I need to swap out on my 2005 Liberty Renegade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > For off-road, what stock parts do I need to swap out on my 2005 Liberty Renegade?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 06-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #1
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

For off-road, what stock parts do I need to swap out on my 2005 Liberty Renegade?

This is the first Jeep I have ever owned. I bought a Jeep because I am moving to Maine, and I was looking for something that would be able to handle the annual 70+ in. of snow in Maine.
Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what should do with my Liberty to make it trail-ready; all I can find on the web are ways to make it look like it can go off-road, but not actually take it off-road, which is ridiculous.

Thanks
-Ty

tbolte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First post - welcome to JF -

The KJ is pretty capable right out of the box.

You could do more aggressive tire tread if you wanted. If more clearance is a goal to be more off road ready - a 2.5" OME lift gives a better ride and handling characteristics, and 245-75-16's for tire size. After just a couple of years from new - the coils tend to sag on every year Libby, and shocks get kinda soft.

Might want to go through the pics at top of the board & take a gander of the lifted and non-lifted KJ threads.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Liberty is just fine off road stock.
Unread 06-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #4
04liberty4x4

It should be just fine I've battle Indiana snow in mine for 6 years now, never gotten stuck
04liberty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
Joenavy85
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04liberty4x4 View Post
It should be just fine I've battle Indiana snow in mine for 6 years now, never gotten stuck
Ditto with me, mine's been through 2 Chicago Winters and haven't even needed to put it into 4WD. That includes this last February when a storm dropped 22 inches overnight.
Joenavy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post

You could do more aggressive tire tread if you wanted. If more clearance is a goal to be more off road ready - a 2.5" OME lift gives a better ride and handling characteristics, and 245-75-16's for tire size. After just a couple of years from new - the coils tend to sag on every year Libby, and shocks get kinda soft.

Might want to go through the pics at top of the board & take a gander of the lifted and non-lifted KJ threads.
Thanks
This might be a stupid question, but when I get a larger tire size can I still use my standard rims?

Also, does any one know what kind of D-ring recovery hooks I can use for my Libby? (without drilling holes would be preferable )
Unread 06-14-2011, 06:35 AM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes you can use your factory rims. All depends on what tire size you are looking to fit.

There are D-rings available from Jeep that bolt to the front, it does require trimming of the bumper cover to install them. Rear - many install a tow hitch and use a D-ring with that.

Unread 06-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
CreepinTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you could eliminate the IFS up front and throw in a straight axle with selectable locker.....this could go on forever.
Unread 06-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #9
gr8tadvtr
2005 KJ Liberty 

More Questions for a Newbie

I've heard that the stock skid plates on my 2005 Renegade are pretty thin and that I should get aftermarket plates for real off-road use. Anybody have an opinion?

Also, I have 225 75 R16 tires on stock 16 x 7" wheels. Can I put 245 75 R16 tires on these or do I need to get 16 x 8" rims?

I'm getting my OME Frankenlift in a few weeks and then come the tires.

Thanks for any info you can share.
gr8tadvtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

stock rims work great with those tires( 245-75-16s )
no need for 8 inch wheels
Unread 06-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #11
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepinTJ View Post
you could eliminate the IFS up front and throw in a straight axle with selectable locker.....this could go on forever.
haha absolutely.
I have been getting deeper into the parts research and I think that I am going to do a SAS with lockers.

Air lockers or electronic lockers?
any ideas?
Unread 06-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post

Another question, can I even do a lift with my fake front axes as it is, or would I need to do a SAS first?
Unread 06-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you have a lot of extra Franklin's laying around, don't even think about going to a solid front axel swap. You have to be sitting on a boat load of cash and the skills to pull it off.

Do a full OME lift (springs and shocks) front and rear & add some Jeepin by Al's upper A-arms, bump stops, slap some 245-75-16's on - and enjoy your rig. If you feel the need to beef the front - go with the steel "30" front diff. Just a few ideas for ya.

Unread 06-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolte View Post
Another question, can I even do a lift with my fake front axes as it is, or would I need to do a SAS first?

fake front axles ???????????
I don't think mine has fake front axles does it?
yes you can lift them with out going to a SFA
800 or so and you're good to go lift wise

Unread 06-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #15
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks 95BadBoy thats exactly what I was looking for!

tommudd that rig is a beast.
So if the IFS works fine then why do a lot of people say you need to replace it?

Tags
aftermarket , liberty , off road , stock , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.