For off-road, what stock parts do I need to swap out on my 2005 Liberty Renegade? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > For off-road, what stock parts do I need to swap out on my 2005 Liberty Renegade?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 06-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

For off-road, what stock parts do I need to swap out on my 2005 Liberty Renegade?

This is the first Jeep I have ever owned. I bought a Jeep because I am moving to Maine, and I was looking for something that would be able to handle the annual 70+ in. of snow in Maine.
Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what should do with my Liberty to make it trail-ready; all I can find on the web are ways to make it look like it can go off-road, but not actually take it off-road, which is ridiculous.

Thanks
-Ty

tbolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First post - welcome to JF -

The KJ is pretty capable right out of the box.

You could do more aggressive tire tread if you wanted. If more clearance is a goal to be more off road ready - a 2.5" OME lift gives a better ride and handling characteristics, and 245-75-16's for tire size. After just a couple of years from new - the coils tend to sag on every year Libby, and shocks get kinda soft.

Might want to go through the pics at top of the board & take a gander of the lifted and non-lifted KJ threads.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Liberty is just fine off road stock.
Unread 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
04liberty4x4

It should be just fine I've battle Indiana snow in mine for 6 years now, never gotten stuck
04liberty4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Joenavy85
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04liberty4x4 View Post
It should be just fine I've battle Indiana snow in mine for 6 years now, never gotten stuck
Ditto with me, mine's been through 2 Chicago Winters and haven't even needed to put it into 4WD. That includes this last February when a storm dropped 22 inches overnight.
Joenavy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #6
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post

You could do more aggressive tire tread if you wanted. If more clearance is a goal to be more off road ready - a 2.5" OME lift gives a better ride and handling characteristics, and 245-75-16's for tire size. After just a couple of years from new - the coils tend to sag on every year Libby, and shocks get kinda soft.

Might want to go through the pics at top of the board & take a gander of the lifted and non-lifted KJ threads.
Thanks
This might be a stupid question, but when I get a larger tire size can I still use my standard rims?

Also, does any one know what kind of D-ring recovery hooks I can use for my Libby? (without drilling holes would be preferable )
Unread 06-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #7
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes you can use your factory rims. All depends on what tire size you are looking to fit.

There are D-rings available from Jeep that bolt to the front, it does require trimming of the bumper cover to install them. Rear - many install a tow hitch and use a D-ring with that.

Unread 06-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
CreepinTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

you could eliminate the IFS up front and throw in a straight axle with selectable locker.....this could go on forever.
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #9
gr8tadvtr
2005 KJ Liberty 

More Questions for a Newbie

I've heard that the stock skid plates on my 2005 Renegade are pretty thin and that I should get aftermarket plates for real off-road use. Anybody have an opinion?

Also, I have 225 75 R16 tires on stock 16 x 7" wheels. Can I put 245 75 R16 tires on these or do I need to get 16 x 8" rims?

I'm getting my OME Frankenlift in a few weeks and then come the tires.

Thanks for any info you can share.
gr8tadvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

stock rims work great with those tires( 245-75-16s )
no need for 8 inch wheels
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepinTJ View Post
you could eliminate the IFS up front and throw in a straight axle with selectable locker.....this could go on forever.
haha absolutely.
I have been getting deeper into the parts research and I think that I am going to do a SAS with lockers.

Air lockers or electronic lockers?
any ideas?
Unread 06-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #12
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBoy View Post

Another question, can I even do a lift with my fake front axes as it is, or would I need to do a SAS first?
Unread 06-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Unless you have a lot of extra Franklin's laying around, don't even think about going to a solid front axel swap. You have to be sitting on a boat load of cash and the skills to pull it off.

Do a full OME lift (springs and shocks) front and rear & add some Jeepin by Al's upper A-arms, bump stops, slap some 245-75-16's on - and enjoy your rig. If you feel the need to beef the front - go with the steel "30" front diff. Just a few ideas for ya.

Unread 06-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolte View Post
Another question, can I even do a lift with my fake front axes as it is, or would I need to do a SAS first?

fake front axles ???????????
I don't think mine has fake front axles does it?
yes you can lift them with out going to a SFA
800 or so and you're good to go lift wise

Unread 06-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #15
tbolte
2005 KJ Liberty 

Thanks 95BadBoy thats exactly what I was looking for!

tommudd that rig is a beast.
So if the IFS works fine then why do a lot of people say you need to replace it?

Tags
aftermarket , liberty , off road , stock , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.