o2 simulators - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > o2 simulators

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 07-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
dhorton350
2003 KJ Liberty 

o2 simulators

My 03 liberty v6 is losing mileage and performance it has 124k. I would like to get rid of the cats. I am capable of fabricating my own simulators. what would the readings(resistance, voltage, and/or frequency) for a normal sensor?

dhorton350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorton350 View Post
My 03 liberty v6 is losing mileage and performance it has 124k. I would like to get rid of the cats. I am capable of fabricating my own simulators. what would the readings(resistance, voltage, and/or frequency) for a normal sensor?
It varies depending on how much O2 the O2 sensors are reading in the exhaust and why "simulators" do not work. You will get worse mpg's and ruin the engine faster.

Find out why your are getting bad mpg's 1st,you may be getting normal mpg's for a KJ.Ever try a tune up? You know change the spark plugs(which need to be changed every 30k in a KJ),change the PVC valve.If the cats are the issue buy new cats and problem solved the legal way.
Unread 07-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #3
dhorton350
2003 KJ Liberty 

yes I am not a novice been turning wrenches since I was 13. New plugs oil changed regularly,air filter. The reason I think cats is it went from 24mpg to about 18. I lost a little when I put the bigger tires on but still averaged 20 or better. I live in a state that does not do sniffer test so the legality does not worry me. plus the cats I would put back are about $175 a piece and I need two.
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
yes I am not a novice been turning wrenches since I was 13. New plugs oil changed regularly,air filter. The reason I think cats is it went from 24mpg to about 18. I lost a little when I put the bigger tires on but still averaged 20 or better. I live in a state that does not do sniffer test so the legality does not worry me. plus the cats I would put back are about $175 a piece and I need two.
If you had bad cats,then you would have a code that would show that.If you eliminate the o2 sensors,your mileage would get worse.With 124k,I would do a compression test then go from there.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
dhorton350
2003 KJ Liberty 

Why would I get worse mileage removing the cats and second o2 sensors I thought all they did was check for clean air and E.G.T.? The primaries do air fuel don't they? A buddy of mine has a 99 grand cherokee his cat was so bad it blew a hole and never set off the first light.
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
LuckRider
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just to let you know, it is illegal to remove cats whether detected or not, and the thread can be locked for talk of it.

You might just need new O2 sensors which sounds very possible especially with the amount of miles you have. There is no gain to be made, and it can cause damage to your motor and decrease current fuel efficiency even farther.

Sorry to be such a negative nancy.
JFI Member #7: Helping out the Scammed
2004 Rubi: Ready to Kill the Chrome!
Totaled and Gone: Mostly Stock 2005 I6 Patriot Blue TJ: Monstaliner (Write-Up) BESRK Rear Bumper, Hella 500s
Do the Jeep Wave :D 0|||||||0 Take 95% of what I say as a joke/sarcasm!-Thomas
LuckRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
dhorton350
2003 KJ Liberty 

I was told the cats play a big part in these new jeeps didn't think they were that sensative guess I need to start saving.
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Why would I get worse mileage removing the cats and second o2 sensors I thought all they did was check for clean air and E.G.T.? The primaries do air fuel don't they? A buddy of mine has a 99 grand cherokee his cat was so bad it blew a hole and never set off the first light.
The pre-cat O2 sensors are the main fuel/air mixture setting devices(along with other engine sensors),the after-cats O2 sensors measure the cats efficiency and can effect the fuel/air mixture as well to prevent damage to the cats and keep a clean burning engine.

If you have a bad cat(s) the check engine light would be on and throwing efficiency codes.

Hate to burst your bubble again but only get the OEM cats(one piece and about $1400),you could cause damage and worse mpg's with aftermarket cats.Oh and it is a $2500 fine per cat removed.
Unread 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
FlyingLow
2007 KJ Liberty 

I ran no cats for a bit after installing headers waiting for my next paycheck to come so I could complete the y-pipe to cat back section. BIGGEST MISTAKE TO DATE! Your liberty will run like garbage, your mpg's will be non existent, and your computer will throw codes like there's no tomorrow. I'm not 100% sure if it was cat related, but after a few days it went into limp mode. So far I haven't had an issue with my cats (street legal magnaflow hi-flow) but I could just be lucky. These newer vehicles are so heavily computer controlled for the purpose of emissions and fuel economy the slightest alteration can have a huge negative impact.
Unread 07-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
richd
2008 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingLow View Post
I ran no cats for a bit after installing headers waiting for my next paycheck to come so I could complete the y-pipe to cat back section. BIGGEST MISTAKE TO DATE! Your liberty will run like garbage, your mpg's will be non existent, and your computer will throw codes like there's no tomorrow. I'm not 100% sure if it was cat related, but after a few days it went into limp mode. So far I haven't had an issue with my cats (street legal magnaflow hi-flow) but I could just be lucky. These newer vehicles are so heavily computer controlled for the purpose of emissions and fuel economy the slightest alteration can have a huge negative impact.
I want to thank you for this comment,I think it says it all.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #11
dhorton350
2003 KJ Liberty 

thanks guys a buddy of mine went with magna flow cats on his cherokee and has no issue so far. Didn't know the gov. was so strict on cats. I am all about saving and conserving the natural beauty of our country and world but green house gas is a joke. The man that is on the front for global warming owns a home that uses enough energy to power a small city for a day.
Unread 07-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #12
xxxracing
2002 KJ Liberty 

cats will not reduce global warming, as they do not reduce any combustion...They will only improve air quality, as they trapp toxic chemicals causing cancer.
xxxracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:24 AM   #13
It_aint_funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhorton350
Hey it's worth a shot but Scotty Kilmer says you can remove your cat or cats and soak them overnight in friggin dish soap and water man! I'd actually try something more potent like simple green or purple power. Then just weld in new fittings for (mopar sensors).
It_aint_funny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.