Noise from steering.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Noise from steering..

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
romz65

Noise from steering..

Please give me some idea as to what might be the problem. I hear noise like coming from steering or when turning in corners but not exactly know what it is. It's sort of something dry that needs oiling or something.. Thanks for any support.

romz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Power steering unit may need fluid or a change of fluid if dirty. Not sure what year you have but if its red its ATF+4 if amber it's Mopar Power steering fluid. Early KJs used PS fluid. Later use ATF+4. They shouldn't be mixed.
Unread 05-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
romz65

Thanks a lot. It is a 2002 model KJ auto.
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
gombie72

I had this problem too with the same jeep. Im not sure which fluid I used but you need to fix that right away. I didnt and it led to me having to replace it 3 times. NOT FUN
gombie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
romz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by gombie72 View Post
I had this problem too with the same jeep. Im not sure which fluid I used but you need to fix that right away. I didnt and it led to me having to replace it 3 times. NOT FUN
Please clarify when you said 'replace it 3 times'. Thanks
Unread Today, 09:02 AM   #6
gombie72

Quote:
Originally Posted by romz65
Please clarify when you said 'replace it 3 times'. Thanks
i really only had to replace it twice, but it was 3 different pumps that were used. The first pump just went bad over time. And I waited until it literally came apart to replace it. It tore up the hose a bit but i didnt really notice. When i put the 2nd pump in, the hose failed on me and destroyed the pump again. I put in a 3rd pump and now its working fine
gombie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:08 AM   #7
ZJ9593Jeep0588
1995 ZJ 

When I take sharp turns at slow speed. say in a parking lot. I hear a popping and or clicking noise coming from the front end. I replaced all front wheel bearings and the diff is fine. Ball joints are all good. Linkage is tight on everything. Only thing is my shocks and coils are really old. Are you problems similar
ZJ9593Jeep0588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:20 AM   #8
02jeepliberty

I too have this problem, when it clicks and clunks, can you actually feel it in the steering wheel? I also have a 2002 KJ auto...
02jeepliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 10:09 AM   #9
02blue
2002 KJ Liberty 

Tie rod ends? Are you sure your ball joints are good? Might try this.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how...-joints-27868/

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.