Noise from around the rear right wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Noise from around the rear right wheel

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
Sinphar
2002 KJ Liberty 

Noise from around the rear right wheel

Hi all,

I recently found a strange noise (sounds like something being rubbed) from around the rear right wheel of my 2002 liberty when it decelerated to a complete stop. This sound started to be heard after an automated car wash, which included a wheel cleaning. Does anyone know what was broken? Thank you for answering in advance! (The tire size is 235/70/16.)

Sinphar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
LibertyTC
2004 KJ Liberty 

02's have drum brakes on the rear I believe. How many miles on your vehicle? Does this sound only come with a brake application or sound happens without braking?
With drum brakes, you could have got some water/rust in there, and you can try to to lightly apply emergency brake while moving forward to remove rust.
Otherwise inspection for rear brakes & spring /bearings is in order.
LibertyTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 07:11 PM   #3
Sinphar
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thank you for the suggestion.
Yes, it has drum brakes on the rear and has run 62,000 miles.
The sound only happened when the brakes were applied.
I'll try what you suggested. Hope it's only a minor rust problem.
Sinphar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Probably due for brakes. It's at 62,000 miles, ya know.
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 04:24 AM   #5
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Perhaps some water/soap got inside the drum or knocked some rust off. If the noise does not subside within a few miles, then what T-bird said. You can pull the drum to inspect it if you want. Sometimes they come right off, most of the time there is a grove worn into the drum, so you need to back off the adjuster to pull them. Disc brakes often have a wear indicator that squeaks when its time to replace the pads. I don't think the jeep drums have similar wear indicators.
ColdCase is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
T-birdJunkie
2002 KJ Liberty 

Nope, and most front brake pads on KJs don't have wear indicators either

Betting the noise has absolutely nothing to do with the car wash, it just happened to show up around then. also, with the age of the brakes...yeah, they only have 62,000 on them, but the lining may be separating from the backing. That's the only reason ThunderbirdJunkie's were replaced at 138,000 miles...
T-birdJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.