No shut off, No start up - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > No shut off, No start up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Body Mounted Tire CarrierBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Ki

Reply
Unread 12-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
BillRey
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Thief River Falls, MN
Posts: 3
No shut off, No start up

Came out of the grocery store to today to find the Jeep clicking, door locks not responding, back window open, dash lights flashing. Inserted key no start, which I figured would be the case.

Popped the hood and disconnected the positive battery cable in hopes the system would reset. After a five minutes or so, I reconnected the positive battery cable. The clicking returned and the dash lights again flashing and no start.

Roadside assistance showed up, they tried connect the battery cable, same issue. Attached the portable jumpstart cables to battery, no start. Pulled positive off again and attached the portable jumpstart cables cable, the engine turned over and started. The keys were not in the ignition. Disconnected jumpstart cables and Jeep shutdown. Reconnected battery cables and jumpstart cables, Jeep started with out key. Drove the ten miles home, everything seems to work accept the dash lights. Went to turn off the Jeep, it wouldn't turn off. Disconnected the battery cables, both neg and pos. Jeep still running. Touched neg and pos cables and Jeep shutdown.

Clean battery post and cable ends. Place charger on battery. After some time, I went to reconnect the battery cables to the battery, as Im doing so, the engine turns over. Complete the connection of the battery cables, Jeep will not turn over. Lights not work on dash.

Suggestion?

BillRey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2014, 09:13 PM   #2
jp7794
Registered User
2006 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: MO
Posts: 327
Try a new battery. These Jeeps do strange things like this when the battery goes bad. I am not sure how it started without the key. There should be a chip in the key that is required to start it. Perhaps someone else can chime in.
jp7794 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,077
Sounds like the either the ignition switch is stuck, the ignition actuator pin is broken or the Starter Relay is stuck...swap it over with an identical one next to it or likewise there could be a problem with the ASD relay.....swap it over.
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
95BadBoy
Moderator
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRey View Post
Came out of the grocery store to today to find the Jeep clicking, door locks not responding, back window open, dash lights flashing. Inserted key no start, which I figured would be the case.

Popped the hood and disconnected the positive battery cable in hopes the system would reset. After a five minutes or so, I reconnected the positive battery cable. The clicking returned and the dash lights again flashing and no start.

Roadside assistance showed up, they tried connect the battery cable, same issue. Attached the portable jumpstart cables to battery, no start. Pulled positive off again and attached the portable jumpstart cables cable, the engine turned over and started. The keys were not in the ignition. Disconnected jumpstart cables and Jeep shutdown. Reconnected battery cables and jumpstart cables, Jeep started with out key. Drove the ten miles home, everything seems to work accept the dash lights. Went to turn off the Jeep, it wouldn't turn off. Disconnected the battery cables, both neg and pos. Jeep still running. Touched neg and pos cables and Jeep shutdown.

Clean battery post and cable ends. Place charger on battery. After some time, I went to reconnect the battery cables to the battery, as Im doing so, the engine turns over. Complete the connection of the battery cables, Jeep will not turn over. Lights not work on dash.

Suggestion?
First Post - Welcome to JF

KJ's really do some wierd stuff with a battery that is a bit low or old.

Definately go through all of what Billwill has posted for you.

Your pretty darn close to Grand Forks.
__________________
05 TJ RME 42RLE with some things
05 KJ CRD 545RFE, GDE Eco tune, Franky II, Al's 4.5 A-arms, JK Rubi Moabs, Silent Armors 245-70-17's, Spidertrax Adapters, Rola Basket, Fumoto Valve, Pinch welds pounded

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project

Last edited by 95BadBoy; 12-24-2014 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: More info
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
marduksenforcer
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Providence, RI
Posts: 156
Broken igition pin. Pretty common and easy to fix.

-AJ
marduksenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
BillRey
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Thief River Falls, MN
Posts: 3
Easy Fix

Marduksenforcer....

How easy? Im out in the frozen tundra on NW Minnesota and without a garage.

Bill
BillRey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
mjuenem
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mahopac, NY
Posts: 143
It's all relative. The ignition pin is inside out of the wind. Merry Christmas!
mjuenem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #8
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRey View Post
Marduksenforcer....

How easy? Im out in the frozen tundra on NW Minnesota and without a garage.

Bill
Temporay fix for broken ignition actuator assembly:

Remove two plastic covers over the steering column..two Torx female screws.
Remove the ignition switch off of the rear of the actuator assembly....one smaller female Torx screw...newer models require a Male Security Torx bit which has a hole down its center.

When you pull off the ignition switch if you see bits falling loose then the actuator assembly tip has broken off and you need to get a new one from Dorman....Dealers do not list this part.

If this is the case then, with the chipped key in its usual place in the key slot, turn the Ignition Switch ON with a small flat screwdriver.
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
BillRey
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Thief River Falls, MN
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
Temporay fix for broken ignition actuator assembly:

Remove two plastic covers over the steering column..two Torx female screws.
Remove the ignition switch off of the rear of the actuator assembly....one smaller female Torx screw...newer models require a Male Security Torx bit which has a hole down its center.

When you pull off the ignition switch if you see bits falling loose then the actuator assembly tip has broken off and you need to get a new one from Dorman....Dealers do not list this part.

If this is the case then, with the chipped key in its usual place in the key slot, turn the Ignition Switch ON with a small flat screwdriver.
A quick update! I haven't done any work on the Jeep yet! However, I reconnected the battery this morning and the loud clicking was not present. The Jeep started fine, however would not shutoff even with the battery (pos and neg) cable disconnected. The steering doesn't lock in place either when turned off and key is removed.

Does the failure of not turning off and the steer wheel play into the broken ignition actuator malfunction?

Thanks -Bill
BillRey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2014, 02:39 AM   #10
Billwill
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Africa
Posts: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillRey View Post
A quick update! I haven't done any work on the Jeep yet! However, I reconnected the battery this morning and the loud clicking was not present. The Jeep started fine, however would not shutoff even with the battery (pos and neg) cable disconnected. The steering doesn't lock in place either when turned off and key is removed.

Does the failure of not turning off and the steer wheel play into the broken ignition actuator malfunction?

Thanks -Bill
Yeah I think you need to have a good look at the actuator assembly and maybe the ignition switch itself.....and the tumbler assembly seeing as the steering does not lock anymore.

To turn off the engine...pull out the ASD relay...should shut it down.
__________________
2002 2.5 Export CRD Manual 5 speed.
Billwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
no start

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.