No Heat 2002 Jeep Liberty - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > No Heat 2002 Jeep Liberty

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
KimmiesJeep2002

No Heat 2002 Jeep Liberty

I need some advice. I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited, it has 213,000+ miles on it. My heat has not been working for awhile now. Once the engine warms up there is a little heat initially but then it blows cold air after. I did have the radiator replaced about 3 years ago and I think that's when I started having problems with the heat. Anyway I finally took it in to be looked at, it's too cold and I can't take another winter with no heat in my car. They flushed the heater core and said it didn't do anything for the heat. They said my next option would be to replace the heater core. They quoted me $1,200.00 to do this. My first question is does this seem like a fair price to replace the heater core? I know it's time consuming and labor involved but this seems a little high. Next question, given the miles on my Jeep, is it a good idea or worth it to put this much money into a repair at this point? My Jeep still runs pretty good, I think, except for an occasional oil leak due to a loose seal. They were also concerned about the miles on the Jeep and said they would hate to see me put money into it and then it stops running in the near future. They said I might be better off buying a cheap little car instead. I don't have money to spare and I don't know what to do at this point and I need to decide today since my Jeep is still at the shop and I've been driving a rental car for three days now, which is also costing me money. Any ideas or insight is appreciated. Thanks- Kim

KimmiesJeep2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Billwill
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmiesJeep2002 View Post
I need some advice. I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited, it has 213,000+ miles on it. My heat has not been working for awhile now. Once the engine warms up there is a little heat initially but then it blows cold air after. I did have the radiator replaced about 3 years ago and I think that's when I started having problems with the heat. Anyway I finally took it in to be looked at, it's too cold and I can't take another winter with no heat in my car. They flushed the heater core and said it didn't do anything for the heat. They said my next option would be to replace the heater core. They quoted me $1,200.00 to do this. My first question is does this seem like a fair price to replace the heater core? I know it's time consuming and labor involved but this seems a little high. Next question, given the miles on my Jeep, is it a good idea or worth it to put this much money into a repair at this point? My Jeep still runs pretty good, I think, except for an occasional oil leak due to a loose seal. They were also concerned about the miles on the Jeep and said they would hate to see me put money into it and then it stops running in the near future. They said I might be better off buying a cheap little car instead. I don't have money to spare and I don't know what to do at this point and I need to decide today since my Jeep is still at the shop and I've been driving a rental car for three days now, which is also costing me money. Any ideas or insight is appreciated. Thanks- Kim
Do you have the blower motor blowing lots of air on all speed settings? If not then the blower resistor pack behind the glove-box is faulty.

When they flushed the heater core...did they replace the coolant with the Orange HOAT coolant? This is the only anti-freeze to use...the green one will clog the heater core and damage the engine.

The temperature of the hose going into the heater core should be about the same as the temperature of the hose leaving the core....if not then you have a blocked heater core or a major air lock in the coolant system. There is no valve that regulates water flow through the heater core...it should always flow. Does the engine run at normal temperature? If not then you could have a Thermostat that is stuck open.

What does adjust the heat flow is a Blend Door which you should hear moving when you move the heat control. This is an electric motor that opens/closes various flaps to direct hot or cold air around the place. There is also a vacuum pipe coming into the cabin from the intake manifold to operate air control to de-mist, footwell etc.

If you can use a hosepipe to push water through the heater core then it is not blocked.
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #3
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

Also make sure once the engine is up to temp that both the top and bottom radiator hoses are hot. If the top is hot and the bottom is cold then you most likely have an air pocket that needs to be bled out of the system. I had this problem and the only way I was able to get it out was by running it at operating temp and opening up the drain cock at the bottom of the radiator slightly and let it drain until hot coolant started coming out the drain and the lower hose became as hot as the top hose. Once I did this I had heat again. Be sure to top off the system again after you do this.
DarkSport11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
camplate
2003 KJ Liberty 

I just bought a 2003 Liberty Sport and there is no heat. 203k miles but the engine is immaculate. There doesn't seem to be any air pockets but didn't know about the lower drain idea. When I squeeze the bottom radiator hose is feels crunchy, like there is ice or something inside. Have only driven a few miles so far, will drive it a little farther Monday and then try the drain when I get home from work; it's supposed to be above freezing for the first time in ten days.
Also don't know if previous owner used HOAT. Can't tell by the color of the liquid in the coolant tank.
It was confusing when I first popped open the hood and there wasn't any radiator cap.
camplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:32 AM   #5
DarkSport11
2011 KK Liberty 

The "crunchy" feeling in the lower hose is more than likely the spring inside of the hose that helps to keep it from collapsing. When you have to replace the lower hose you pull the spring out and re-insert into the new hose. It would probably be a good idea to flush it out and put a new thermostat in it anyway being you just got it and have no idea if it has ever been changed or the last time it was done. I would only use an OEM stat from the dealer instead of some cheap Asian after market piece. There is also a bleeder plug located on the engine right by the upper hose, you can give that a try as well.
DarkSport11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
camplate
2003 KJ Liberty 

A spring inside the lower hose? I haven't done any of my own wrenching in years so this is all new.
The warm up won't happen until Thursday or Friday; won't be able to do any work until Sunday or Monday other than quick checks. Luckily I don't need to drive this vehicle yet but I am.
I opened the upper plug and liquid came out, but the design...the upper hose is higher than this plug. The upper hose does not feel like it is full of liquid, but it does get hot. Both heater core hoses are hot, at the engine. Just the lower hose and radiator at the bottom is cold. I'll get out the laser temp sensor tonight to check the hoses at the firewall. The blower inside will put out heat for a second and then go cold.
I trust the person I bought this from, but he's not home for weeks at a time so hard to get information.

Thanks for the help and information.
camplate is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.