no cats on a libby? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > no cats on a libby?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
scjeep69
2002 KJ Liberty 

no cats on a libby?

I was wondering if I could cut the cat out on my libby with out it running crappy bc all this computer crap I know my check engine light will stay on that's not a problem I was just told it wouldn't run right is this true

scjeep69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Its illegal for starters, and it can affect how it runs. If your jeep is running bad, then you need to figure out the source of the problem. Contrary to popular belief, the cat plugging up is a symptom of a problem, not the cause. Excessive fuel dumping down the exhaust is the biggest cause of melted down cats.

Just an fyi, the mods and administrators wont condone illegal activities on the site, such as cat removal.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
SabaII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not only will it run bad but its a bad idea in general. It is not friendly to the environment, and there a pretty big state and federal fines. And you want to cut it out because you don't like computer crap? The computers are still there whether you cut the cats out or not bud.

Last edited by SabaII; 05-18-2012 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: grammar
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
scjeep69
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabaII View Post
Not only will it run bad but its a bad idea in general. It is not friendly to the environment, and there a pretty big state and federal fines. And you want to cut it out because you don't like computer crap? The computers are still there whether you cut the cats out or not bud.
No I don't want to cut it out to get rid of the computer read what u said that doesn't make sense. Mines claughing up is y I want to get rid of it. The cat isn't computer the o2 sensors are. What I said was I was wondering if I cut them out would it make it run like crap bc of the computer. I know its illegal to cut them out and I understand if this site doesn't like it that's fine but my question was would it hurt how it ran it wasn't for permission. I want to cut my cat outs bc its claughing I want to replace it with a magnaflow high flow cat but once again my question was if I cut my factory one out would it hurt. If I can an aftermarket cat is there waway to sinc it with my factory o2 sensors
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

I yanked my cat and muffler some time ago. I run B99 biodiesel so I dont really need one anyway. Passes emissions easily.
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
SabaII
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjeep69 View Post
No I don't want to cut it out to get rid of the computer read what u said that doesn't make sense. Mines claughing up is y I want to get rid of it. The cat isn't computer the o2 sensors are. What I said was I was wondering if I cut them out would it make it run like crap bc of the computer. I know its illegal to cut them out and I understand if this site doesn't like it that's fine but my question was would it hurt how it ran it wasn't for permission. I want to cut my cat outs bc its claughing I want to replace it with a magnaflow high flow cat but once again my question was if I cut my factory one out would it hurt. If I can an aftermarket cat is there waway to sinc it with my factory o2 sensors
http://www.spellingcity.com/

If you wanna be a jerk at least use decent grammar.

Replacing it with a high flow cat should work. But as streetglideok said, the issue is beyond that. Figure out why the cat clogged up in the first place, then go from there.
SabaII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Can someone tell me what claughing is? Not to sound mean or anything, I'm just curious.

Typical problems with the cat are, cat efficiency codes due to contamination, and excessive fuel source(gas or oil) getting into the cat, creating excessive heat, and meltdown, causing rattles and restrictions. Cat efficiency codes can be from too much city driving and no highway driving, leaded fuel, coolant going thru the exhaust, wrong oil for too long, and running rich too long. If your engine is running poorly, fix the problem, dont hack off parts until it magically fixes itself. Guess this claughing thing has me confrused. Anyone else as confrused as me?
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
Delnorin
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scjeep69 View Post
I was wondering if I could cut the cat out on my libby with out it running crappy bc all this computer crap I know my check engine light will stay on that's not a problem I was just told it wouldn't run right is this true
The Thought Police are knocking on your door.. How dare you forget your place in this world. You Slave!!
Delnorin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #9
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
If I can an aftermarket cat is there waway to sinc it with my factory o2 sensors
If I understand right, you are now asking about installing an aftermarket cat? Remember you have 2 cats, one on each side, so thats two cats to replace. Its actually illegal to replace a cat unless its not functioning properly. You'll also find, any cat thats small enough to fit into the space allowed on the Liberty will net you Zero gain. If it is an OBDII certified cat, then technically, if one of your cats were bad, you could install an aftermarket cat.
Unread 05-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
scjeep69
2002 KJ Liberty 

The magnaflow cat is actually an in shorter then my factory cat. I was told to just go with a factory cat it would be the easiest way to go.
Unread 05-19-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
In the USA, there are no computer or tailpipe emissions checks for Diesels, they ere exempt before a certain date...

QUOTE=streetglideok;13590628]Can someone tell me what claughing is? Not to sound mean or anything, I'm just curious.

Wrong "O" brother. Every other year I have to take my TDI and CRD in for Washington State King County emissions! They check for Opacity.
Unread 05-19-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Colorado has emissions checks on the oil burners too, what years covered, I dont know.
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #13
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD_Joe View Post
Wrong "O" brother. Every other year I have to take my TDI and CRD in for Washington State King County emissions! They check for Opacity.
He was reffering to the sniffer test which no diesel is required to do.
Unread 05-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
CRD_Joe
2005 KJ Liberty 

Well whatever the difference is, they stick a detector up the tail pipe and rev the crap out of it. With B99 the opacity doesnt even register.
Unread 05-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #15
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRD_Joe View Post
Well whatever the difference is, they stick a detector up the tail pipe and rev the crap out of it. With B99 the opacity doesnt even register.
They only check for smoke on a diesel,they actually test what is the chemical makeup on a gasser like CO2,NOX,and other gasses.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.