Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

"No Bus" When Scanner Hooked Up

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  GScan 
#1 ·
'05 KJ 3.7L V6 with 89k miles on it.

CEL came on after two weeks of not driving and odometer said P0157.

Ok, bank 2,2 O2 sensor. Not a huge issue but I wanted more detail so I bought a Scan Tool. I also wanted the tool to clear the code after putting in the new sensor before starting the engine (my Chilton manual says to, not sure how important it is). I hook up the scanner, it starts connecting, my odometer changes to "no bus", and halfway through the scanner fails to link! Scanner works on my other vehicles just fine.

Took the Liberty up to O'Reillys to see if their scanner worked. It did but it gave Error code 4 which was along the lines of "no bus short to battery" and it gave code P0157.

Anyone have any experience with the "no bus short to battery" error? Does this have to do with a fuse? I looked over the wiring I could see, didn't see any damage. O2 sensor wiring looks good. I'm stuck!

#2 ·
The No Bus error is fairly common on Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler products.

Most common fix for this is to have the vehicle off, disconnect the Negative battery terminal, then disconnect the positive battery terminal.

With both disconnected from the battery, put the negative and positive battery leads (the main wires that you just disconnected from the battery) together, and hold them together for a few minutes.

Then hook them back into the battery, and try running codes again.

The thought is that, by putting the battery wires together, you are forcing the computers to discharge all backup power that may be stored in them.

But, do not do this while either cable is still hooked into the battery. You can do some very serious, and expensive, damage to the electronics / computers.

Tapatalk for Android - Works awesome on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.