Nightmare brake job. Really could use some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Nightmare brake job. Really could use some help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 04-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #1
bilr514
2003 KJ Liberty 

Nightmare brake job. Really could use some help

Putting new rotors and pads all the way around. Couldn't get rotors on rear over the parking brake (see other thread). Turns out there was a piece of the assembly that actuated the parking brake that was fused together by rust.

While trying to remove that part I broke loose the 4 bolts that hold the backing plate on. This is where the problem comes in.

One of the 4 studs broke off while I was taking the nut off. It's not a traditional bolt and I don't really know what I have to do replace it. Could really use some help on this one. You can see in the photos the top bolt and the missing bottom bolt. The other photo shows the back side with the bolt heads.

image-872415177.jpg

image-890384739.jpg

bilr514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Either go to a good parts store and see if they can scrounge up a stud for it, or get it at the dealer; or get a hardened steel bolt and use that. It will be metric most likely, so 10.9 hardness bolts and nuts.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
bilr514
2003 KJ Liberty 

Thanks street glide. I guess my question is though HOW do I replace the stud though? I'm not sure what kind of bolt that is. It doesn't have a hex head on it. How is it held in place? Do I have to drill it out? If I drill it out it looks like I will have to pull the axle to get to it. See photos. Appreciate any suggestions.
image-356336468.jpg

image-2801315568.jpg

Unread 04-05-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Looks just like a wheel stud, it's pressed in(not hydraulic press or anything) and has splines to make it bite. Beat the old one out and put new one in. It's there to hold the bracket to the axle tube, so as long as you have at least a bolt of proper diameter and grade of hardness, you should be ok. May be easier with axle shaft removed though.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #5
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Those studs don't seem to be listed in the parts catalog (I have the 2005 one) for either the parking brake or the rear axle, but the nuts are listed as .375-24, Parking Brake Adapter to Axle Housing, Mounting - so presumably you need a .375-24 wheel stud (or as streetglideok says, a bolt, which may be easier to find).
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
bilr514
2003 KJ Liberty 

Hey guys...Appreciate the help. I went to my local stealership and they got me the part number. For those that may run across this same problem (Lord I hope not) it is 6036556AA. They wanted $6 each (there are 4) for these. While I was standing at the counter, I looked it up on my phone and they run about $2.80 each online. Went ahead and ordered online...Can't justify spending the extra money to buy from them. Decided that I would do all 4, assuming they come out fairly easily. Would hate to go through the trouble of pulling the axle, replacing just the one stud, and then breaking one of the other 3 off while putting it back together. They didn't have a part listed for the nut. AVR, do you have a part number for that nut?

My neighbor was thinking there would be a way to get it out without taking the axle off, but I just don't see it happening. You're going to have to have exert a lot of force on that and the only way I see that happening is with an BFH or an air hammer.

Thoughts?

Thanks again...

Bill
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

It might come out easier than you think. PB blaster it. You can try a pry bar against the back of the axle. You can use a good amount of force but don't get crazy on it. I don't know what holds these axles in place. Next best bet will be to remove the axle shaft and use a bfh. Put the correct size nut on the end and try to make it flush with the end of the bolt. You are trying to avoid mushrooming it so that the end doesn't fit through the hole.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:03 AM   #8
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilr514 View Post
AVR, do you have a part number for that nut?
06036159AA. It's listed in the parking brake section, not the rear axle, which may be why they couldn't find it. And now I look again, I can see that the studs *are* listed on the rear axle.

As for getting the studs out, how about a balljoint press? Although pulling the axle shaft and then using a BFH will probably work just as well, if a little less elegantly
Unread 04-14-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
bilr514
2003 KJ Liberty 

OK guys, I got the axle out this weekend and the bolts out, however, it wasn't without incident. To get the axle out, I had to pull the differential cover and drain the fluid. I then had to remove a bolt, drop a pin out, and pull a C clip to free the axle...Problem was that I broke the bolt holding the pin (see photo below). Had a hard time getting the bolt out due to the angle and the tight working quarters. Finally got it out, got the pin and axle out and then used a hammer to get the axle bolts out. Problem is that Jeep doesn't service just the bolt, so I'm not sure how I'm going to replace it.
diffboltsmall.jpg  
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:09 AM   #10
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Junkyard's always an option, you should be able to get it out of any vehicle with a Chrysler 8.25 axle, but according to the 2005 KJ parts catalog, it's part #03507724, SCREW, Hex Head, .312-18x1.80

The dealer ought to be able to order it, otherwise some online Mopar dealers list it, others don't. This place seems to have it: Mopar Parts Overstock

If you go the junkyard route, remember you can rotate the diff case to get the bolt into position so you can get cleanly onto it with a socket. Best way is usually to disconnect the driveshaft at the pinion, and then turn the flange by hand.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.