newbie and some questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
quagmire

newbie and some questions

Hello fellow jeep fans. I have been lurking here off and on for a couple of months now. I finally registered and would like to start participating.

I currently own a 02 Liberty limited. Due to having a company vehicle to drive to work I don't put many miles on the Jeep. It usually sits idle for days at a time unless I am off work for the rare day or two. Because of this the brakes have developed quite a bit of surface rust and are very noisy when stopping. The brakes are also very grabby, especially when wet.

So I guess it is time to replace the brakes. Are there any preferred upgrades to the braking system since I am doing this anyway? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 07:16 PM
jeep_on

I’m not ‘in’ on the KJ upgrades, but I would assume there mite be slotted or even dilled rotors you can put on it. Those with a new set of brembo pads would be a nice upgrade.

Oh ya, welcome to JF.

2006 Dodge RAM Laramie w/ 5.9L I6
2010 Volkswagen Jetta w/ TDI 2.0L I4

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
post #3 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 07:39 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire
It usually sits idle for days at a time unless I am off work for the rare day or two. Because of this the brakes have developed quite a bit of surface rust and are very noisy when stopping. The brakes are also very grabby, especially when wet.

So I guess it is time to replace the brakes. Are there any preferred upgrades to the braking system since I am doing this anyway? Thanks.
Are you replacing brakes because they are worn-out or because they are rusty & grabbing from not driving the Jeep? If it's just rusty and making noise, replacing brakes will likely be a waste of money because the new brakes will do the same thing. Don't be afraid to let them grind (just knocking the rust off) the first few times you use them. If it persists, then you have a problem. If you do replace them, you may want to check some of the racing/performance stores to see if stainless steel rotors are available for the KJ. They are pricey but keep the rusting to a minimum.

post #4 of 11 Old 09-03-2006, 09:11 PM
jeepjeepster

Quote:
Hello fellow jeep fans. I have been lurking here off and on for a couple of months now. I finally registered and would like to start participating.

I currently own a 02 Liberty limited. Due to having a company vehicle to drive to work I don't put many miles on the Jeep. It usually sits idle for days at a time unless I am off work for the rare day or two. Because of this the brakes have developed quite a bit of surface rust and are very noisy when stopping. The brakes are also very grabby, especially when wet.

When not using the libby, its best to just turn it off and not let it idle. I had to.

Anyway, Ive always heard bad things about slotted rotors. some seem to think they just cause cracks later on down the road. I would like to get a set of powerslots and brembos though! Just to try them out.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-04-2006, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFCRD
Are you replacing brakes because they are worn-out or because they are rusty & grabbing from not driving the Jeep? If it's just rusty and making noise, replacing brakes will likely be a waste of money because the new brakes will do the same thing. Don't be afraid to let them grind (just knocking the rust off) the first few times you use them. If it persists, then you have a problem. If you do replace them, you may want to check some of the racing/performance stores to see if stainless steel rotors are available for the KJ. They are pricey but keep the rusting to a minimum.
Yes the problem is persisting. The surface of the front rotors is pretty smooth and shiney now, but it still is very noisy and grabs like crazy near the last few mph of braking, just before the vehicle comes to a complete stop. Normal OEM style replacement rotors are pretty cheap I have found. At around $22 each if it takes them another 4 years to develop these symptoms I can live with that.

I will check the calipers when I do the upgrade. Hopefully they are in working order as they are a lot more $$$. Thanks.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Matt400

post #7 of 11 Old 09-04-2006, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
quagmire

Well, I picked up some new rotors today and a nice set of performance friction brake pads. It's a good thing I did too. In under 28,000 miles it seems I totally wore out the front pads. The noise got worse as the day went by, and by the time I finally got home it seems that I was out of brake pad and into the metal backing plates.

The drivers side rotor was rusted to the hub so badly that it took a lot of PB blaster and patience to get off. The passenger side wasn't much better but a little
and it was off. All together I spent under $100 and I should get at least another 28k out of this setup.

Thanks for the help.
post #8 of 11 Old 09-04-2006, 10:44 PM
RFCRD

Quote:
Well, I picked up some new rotors today and a nice set of performance friction brake pads. It's a good thing I did too. In under 28,000 miles it seems I totally wore out the front pads. The noise got worse as the day went by, and by the time I finally got home it seems that I was out of brake pad and into the metal backing plates.

The drivers side rotor was rusted to the hub so badly that it took a lot of PB blaster and patience to get off. The passenger side wasn't much better but a little
and it was off. All together I spent under $100 and I should get at least another 28k out of this setup.

Thanks for the help.
Good deal. Cheap parts are good thing here. I take it you have drum rears on an '02.

My niece had warped rotors on her '04 GC in July. I did her fronts for @ $140 with all permium Wagner parts. Her rotors took some serious persuasion (BFH to the backside) to get them off. The stuff I pulled off was adsolutely junk for a 3 yr old vehicle. Only 27K miles, rotors were shot (looked like early rotor separation) and her pads were showing early signs of separation too. Then 2 weeks later, she got a recall notice for front brake pulsation. Its wishfull thinking but do hope DC used better quality parts in my KJ.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-05-2006, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
quagmire

That's pretty much what I thought. No brake pad left on the drivers side, I was into the backing plates and I only had about 1/8 inch of pad left on the passenger side. I only have 28k on it too. My wifes Honda still had plenty of pad left at 60k, but I decided to put new pads in all around for the couple $$$ it took.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-10-2006, 08:17 AM
JJsKJ
2003 KJ Liberty 

Which pads/rotors did you end up getting? I need to do my fronts real soon myself. Wish I didn't as they will only be on the vehicle for a short time as I'm going SFA soon.
Also, FWIW, the cracking rotor problem happens more often on crossdrilled rotors, not slotted versions Unless they are drilled And slotted. Slottted rotors seem to hold up pretty good.

1999 TJ
post #11 of 11 Old 09-10-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
quagmire

The rotors are just the standard OEM replacement style. I picked them up at Autozone. They are branded Duralast. As for the pads, I have had great luck with Performance Friction pads on all my motorcycles, so I got a set of them for the jeep too. They seem to be working great and hopefully they are as rotor friendly on the jeep as they are on my bikes. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.