Newbie intro - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Liberty Forums > KJ Liberty Forum > Newbie intro

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 07-27-2013, 03:12 AM   #1
Stretch75
2007 KJ Liberty 

Newbie intro

Hi my name is John...most people call me Stretch....I've been lurking around here for 8 months in the shadows learning and absorbing all I can...I used to build VWs...my last one was an 07 Jetta GLI 2.0t staged 2.5 6speed with 280hp and 325ft pound of torque...after the 10th or 11th VW breaking on me I decided I wanted to get away from the tuner scene and VW guys aren't the nicest crowd except for a few and the scene is mostly cookie cutters...everybody does their car the same or they ridicule your ride...I hated it...anyways here are Crappy cell pics but the first one is the day I brought her home 8 months ago...she is an 07 Limited that had 26k on the odometer and now she just turned 30. My first mod was the roof rack and some decals on the rear window. Due to back issues it halted my build plus I wanted to research all I could before dropping money. Here hopefully within the next month she is getting a 3.5 inch lift and I already have new 31s and 15 inch wheels to put on her after lots of research. I have many plans for her. I need to take that stupid tow thing off the front too. Anyhow I know a long post but just wanted to introduce myself finally and say hi all...look forward to getting to know some of you.

156773_336923163082034_1458997374_n.jpg  
428907_345225475585136_1221434265_n.jpg

Last edited by Stretch75; 07-27-2013 at 03:49 AM..
Stretch75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
95BadBoy
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First post - Welcome to JF.

FS or FT (2) JK Rubi 17" Moab Rims - really nice shape
Need JK Rear Spare tire bracket for project
95BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Welcome

what lift are you going with?
what wheel size and backspacing ?
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Hey welcome to the board. Make sure your 15" wheels clear your brakes, a lot will not. I have alloy 15"s on mine but they have a "prouder" stance than stock. I planned to run 30x9.5" on mine, but will see how your 31"s do.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Stretch75
2007 KJ Liberty 

Thanks guys...I am going with...15x7 Black Rock 941s(for now) with a 4 inch back space from my research should be fine and Tommud I'm afraid to tell you right now I am going with the Rusty's 2.5 suspension(I seen how you feel about that lol) with 1/4 inch top plate...3/4 clevis and then the 1/2 inch top and bottom isolators for the rear. This will be my daily...so basically a mall crawler...so the suspension won't take a beating at all and if need be I work at an auto shop so having a mechanic buddy switch suspension out is nbd. I do plan on building something down the road to take out and play...just waiting for the right one to pop up for sale.
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

ha ha
So why Rustys when you already know it'll sag faster than Grandma when she takes her bra off at night!
Not a good lift, rear shocks are junk, ( Rear Hydro Shocks ) cost just as much as a good lift
Just so ya know, the suspension takes a good beating just on normal roads/ potholes/railroad tracks etc. So since its your daily driver you don't care how it rides or handles?? Interesting I still can't figure that train of thought out, makes no sense to me
Butwe tried to warn ya!

3/4 inch clevis is WAY too much as well
Only 3/8 inch ..............
Oh if using the Rustys Upper Plates be ready to drill since they still cut them out wrong
use two upper isolators per side in the rear just stock one on the bottom is all
least part of the lift will be good.

Is it being a jerk, when you've installed a Rustys and then over 28-29 OME/Ironman/ JBA/ Frankenlifts and got to see what Rustys does weekly compared to the other ones, and you try and steer people to the lifts that are better and last longer ??????????????
Unread 07-28-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Stretch75
2007 KJ Liberty 

3/8ths is what I meant on the upper plate and everything else other than the suspension for now will be JBA...so two upper isolators and no lower or 2 upper and 1 lower in the rear? Nah your not being a jerk at all...hope you didn't think that is what I was implying...I've seen your opinion on the Rusty's lift I also seen you have your own lift on JBA so I am sure your going to be impartial to their product and it's obvious you have more knowledge than I without a doubt. I've seen people say the Rusty's is good for their needs and I've seen the bad also. As far as a bad ride I've ran coilovers on my VW's and I could tell you the date of a coin laying on the ground...now that's a bad ride. I appreciate the info and any advice you give me...if JBA comes down to 460 on their lift today I will buy it right now. Maybe they could sponsor me lol I live in an area where there are no lifted Liberties might be worth their time. Right now due to a back injury I am trying to roll with a budget and I am trying to throw something on quick to take to the car show coming up here next month...no one around here has ever seen a KJ done up...believe me dude if my bank book allowed it right now I would do it. I definitely don't pretend to know everything and if I thought you was a jerk man I would tell you. Just tried to introduce myself and let everyone know I been lurking and I'm glad I posted up because I saved in my archive where someone said one isolator up and one down...so your saying get 2 up and 1 down or just the 2 upper? and I appreciate any advice and eventually once I am back to work I will prolly end up with the Tommudd econo lift on my rig along with the matrix brush guard and a few other extras...love the way it looks. I hope we can be friends man...I am new to the Jeep scene could use an expert for advice other than I have to roll cheap right now...it could be worse I almost got a spacer kit. lol I would post some pics of the VW's I have built over the years and they all started out cheap and upgraded as I went but no one wants to see a VW on here lol anyways much respect to you. If the rear shocks wear out fast...I will get a decal that says Tommudd told me so...lol...I have a great sense of humor dude and I like to joke around. Shame you wasn't in the eastern part of Ohio we could meet up...I am in the northern panhandle of WV.

Last edited by Stretch75; 07-28-2013 at 01:26 AM..
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
Stretch75
2007 KJ Liberty 

Also my daily only gets about 6k a year on it. I live in a small town.
Unread 07-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #9
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

Know exactly where you live, been there quite a few times
Grew up not far away in Ohio and am back down there every couple of weeks. Actually just 50 miles from there to one of my relatives that live there in Benwood
Again, 2 extra upper rear iso's per side in the rear. Done a bunch of them and thats the right way to go. Jump over on LOSTJEEPS or JEEPKJ and start reading , you'll see thats what ever one recommends
I don't really give a hoot where you buy a lift, yes JBA has a lift I helped design and put the parts together from my experience of what works and the price. BUT I receive no money or anything from it so I am not gaining anything if you buy there. I don't give a rats behind where you buy from only that trying to help you save some money down the road.
I've read and talked to enough people the last almost 9 years of playing with KJs to know how Rustys does over a year or so. The one lift I did under protest, his started sagging in no time at all, and he had another car he drove all the time
So whens the car show? I could maybe always show up and park in the back somewhere
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #10
oilbuner

2006 KJ Liberty 

Welcome to Jeepforum. The pictures of your Jeep look great, nice Jeep. When I first started looking for lift kits I to was drawn to Rustys. Their advertising and marketing sets them apart, your drawn in from the simplicity of the design. Don't be fooled, like many others. This design dose not withstand the durability or comfort your KJ so deserves. You would spend your money wiser elsewhere. We have logged many miles in our KJ's, on the roads and on the trails. Our combined experiences could help set you up with a good solid dependable Jeep Oilburner
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Stretch75
2007 KJ Liberty 

Thanks Oilbuner and nice to meet you...my thoughts for now were buy the cheap lift because I have the money saved for it right now...slap it on so I can go to the car show and show off what I guarantee will be the only KJ in the show...it's just a show of maybe 500 cars over a weekend. When I have to replace worn out shocks with JBA stuff I should be back to work by then and it won't matter and money will not be a problem but due to my injury I only receive a crappy portion of what I pull in. I get free labor either way. Maybe I will try to call on a few people that owe me money out there and get the OME set up which is what wanted but sometimes we can't always have what we want. Again nice to meet you Oilbuner and nice KJ and Thanks Tommudd 2 isos up top...got it and thanks.

Last edited by Stretch75; 07-28-2013 at 02:25 PM..
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #12
tommudd
2004 KJ Liberty 

You do know you'll also need new rear shocks since you need longer ones
also should replace the fronts since they are toast as well since you'll have it all torn apart anyways

Guess you don't want to share when and where the car show will be ...............
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
profdlp
2007 KJ Liberty 

Welcome, Stretch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommudd View Post
Know exactly where you live, been there quite a few times
Grew up not far away in Ohio...
My dad grew up in Harrisville (down the road from Cadiz) and my aunt and a bunch of cousins still run the family farm. I need to get back down there one of these days.
profdlp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Stretch75
2007 KJ Liberty 

The Rusty's kit comes with the front and rear shocks and the show is at Oglebay...haven't received the preregistration papers in the mail yet this year(let ya know soon as I know for sure)...usually the 3rd weekend of August and there is another show the following weekend at Cabela's at the Highlands usually the last Saturday of August and I think it would be great you brought your KJ down to show off...I would love to see a built one in person.
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
Stretch75
2007 KJ Liberty 

Thanks profdlp and nice to meet you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.